private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
just checking in. I tend to watch subjects like this and see what's going on every 6 months.

To be clear, what i'm asking about is for those of you that are non CDL, have a truck and a trailer, and are non comercial and private, hauling your own stuff, not for hire.. etc, under 26k#

any of you guys having any dot trouble or involvement? especially the 1 ton crowd which are possible hauling goosenecks that might at first glance look comercial. ie.. dually with gn and tractor?

so far I've had no challanges by dot or weigh stations even out of state. at least the southeast anyway.. fl, al, ms, ga, tx etc.

never stopped at a weight station, and have passed plenty with dot parked around it.. have seen them shoot out and pull other over.. so kow they are manned and looking.

anyone had any issues?

soundguy

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #2  
just checking in. I tend to watch subjects like this and see what's going on every 6 months.

To be clear, what i'm asking about is for those of you that are non CDL, have a truck and a trailer, and are non comercial and private, hauling your own stuff, not for hire.. etc, under 26k#

any of you guys having any dot trouble or involvement? especially the 1 ton crowd which are possible hauling goosenecks that might at first glance look comercial. ie.. dually with gn and tractor?

so far I've had no challanges by dot or weigh stations even out of state. at least the southeast anyway.. fl, al, ms, ga, tx etc.

never stopped at a weight station, and have passed plenty with dot parked around it.. have seen them shoot out and pull other over.. so kow they are manned and looking.

anyone had any issues?

soundguy

None here yet. On another forum it sounds like IA & OH are a bit of an issue right now.

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #3  
I have never had any trouble. I even haul a load that is 10.5' wide all the time and another that is 13' wide and 25,000# twice a year about 60 miles total. I get wide load permits and never a single look. Been doing it since 2002 this wide.

I have only pulled in MI, IN, IL, MO, KY, TN, OH, & PA that I can remember.

My neighbor has pulled 30,000 miles in the last 3 summers. Takes 5 week vacation the first week in June each year pulling a 35' 5th wheel. Last year he went from IN to FL. Stayed a few days. Then made his way all the way over to CA, San Diego to be exact. They then went to WA, Seattle. On the way home they went across the Bad Lands (Dakotas), though the U P of MI, and then back down to IN. Just a little over 10,000 miles on that one trip. Not my idea of a vacation but its his family's. He has never had a issue.

Chris

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #4  
Rv's won't have trouble, an open gooseneck with equipment on it is likely to get hassled a little. We are into rockcrawling and a few of the guys in our club have been hassled before towing buggies to a park or event. I've had them get an angle on me and run my tag for weight a few times, but never been pulled and checked.........yet.

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #5  
It is my understanding that any combination that is over 10k lbs, except rv's, is suposed to go through the scale house. you just would not be required to have driver logs.

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #6  
Rv's won't have trouble, an open gooseneck with equipment on it is likely to get hassled a little. We are into rockcrawling and a few of the guys in our club have been hassled before towing buggies to a park or event. I've had them get an angle on me and run my tag for weight a few times, but never been pulled and checked.........yet.

You may never know they ran your tag- just drive by them and they can glance at your plates and enter on pc in car. If nothing comes they just look for another tag to check. etc..

It is my understanding that any combination that is over 10k lbs, except rv's, is suposed to go through the scale house. you just would not be required to have driver logs.

See- this kind of info is NOT clearly documented in drivers handbook. I never heard of such thing. I just know if the magic number of COMBINED gross weight of 26k or over they will start checking you out. Its up to you to make sure you are up to snuff to DOT rules.

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #7  

That is not true. Take my F-350 for example. It weighs 7,600# empty and its not even a dually. Now if you put a small 16' fishing boat behind it I would be well over 10,000#. No way.

Heck, even a late model 1/2 truck or SUV is pushing 6,000#. So you could not haul your average camper or pontoon boat if that was the case.

Chris

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #8  

anyone had any issues?

soundguy
Perhaps the state and federal DOT's are developing/discovering yet another revenue stream. Those guys have pensions too.

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #9  
In MD if the gvw of the vehicle or trailer is over 10k you are required to weigh inand follow a preventative maintenece program, but no logs or air radius rules apply. Technically you are really supposed to have a DOT as a private carrier. A gcvw of over 26k and you need a cdl.

/ private/noncom hauling and DOT involvement #10  
In MD if the gvw of the vehicle or trailer is over 10k you are required to weigh inand follow a preventative maintenece program, but no logs or air radius rules apply. Technically you are really supposed to have a DOT as a private carrier. A gcvw of over 26k and you need a cdl.

Link for a source?