Converting MH to Commercial Drums

/ Converting MH to Commercial Drums #1  

MillWeld

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 641
I have a 6 x 16 trailer which I put MH tandem axles under for hauling log(s). I spent a good deal of effort scrounging MH axles, parts, etc. to get sound parts. The axles have flanges and universal backing plates and new brakes, seals and springs, etc. It pulls well with light loads. I added a brake controller so I can haul heavier loads and have been adjusting the brakes to make them lock simultaneously. I the process of adjustment I noticed a crack in a drum:mad:. I am very surprised at this because I had several drums to select from and found some with cracks and rejected those. I am trying to convince myself the crack appeared after brake testing:eek:. Anyway, at this point I am ready to replace the MH drums with commercial ones. I would like to keep my 12 x 2 brakes, magnets and all the internal workings in the drum and just replace only the drums (and get new matching rims for my new trailer tires). Can I do this? I don't know the type of spindle I have but I do know the inner and outer bearings: Inner Timken 25580, Outer Hoover 67048. Is this enough info for you guys to tell me if a commercial drum will be a direct replacement for the MH drums?
This is somewhat of a setback because I thought I was on the verge of ready-to-go.:(

/ Converting MH to Commercial Drums #2  
As you may or may not hear MH axles are illegal in many areas to reuses. Dexter clearly states they are for limited use. I could care less what you do but I have dealt with them and will not use them anymore. I have heard the parts are not hardened or made to the standards that normal axle stuff is so that is probably why you are seeing cracks.

I tow about 75 different trailers about 10,000 miles per year and I have never seen a crack in a drum.

That being said you may be able to get it to work. If anyone has the parts its this guy. Talk to Paul. He knows trailers.

R and P Carriages Trailer Sales, Service, Parts and Rentals

Chris

/ Converting MH to Commercial Drums #3  
As you may or may not hear MH axles are illegal in many areas to reuses. Dexter clearly states they are for limited use. I could care less what you do but I have dealt with them and will not use them anymore. I have heard the parts are not hardened or made to the standards that normal axle stuff is so that is probably why you are seeing cracks.

I tow about 75 different trailers about 10,000 miles per year and I have never seen a crack in a drum.

That being said you may be able to get it to work. If anyone has the parts its this guy. Talk to Paul. He knows trailers.

R and P Carriages Trailer Sales, Service, Parts and Rentals

Chris

Those axles are illegal in CA for reuse (that's what the sticker says on the axle). The front half of my double-wide MH weighed nearly 40,000 lb and had 7 of those MH axles under the frame. The MH was manufactured in Portland OR and transported down I5 to my place.

DSCF0154 (Small).JPGDSCF0177 (Small).JPG

/ Converting MH to Commercial Drums #4  
As you may or may not hear MH axles are illegal in many areas to reuses.

Chris

Some times you have to call BS BS. Chris can not provide any document from any state stating that mobile home axles are illegal to use. This issue has been covered over and over again. The mobile home distributors in my area use the axles for many deliveries until they are worn out then sell them to companies who rebuild them and sell them to the mobile home manufacturers for use on new mobile homes.

Now back to the original question. Years ago parts kits were sold to convert MH axles to use other wheels and tires. I am not certain about brake conversion kits.

I suspect that you could take a drum to a RV or trailer axle shop and find a drum that would fit.

I researched replacing the brake components on two MH axles last year. I searched extensively online and found parts kits that I could use. However I decided that it was much cheaper to buy two newish mobile home axles, cut them down and install them. The replacement axles were $75 each.

/ Converting MH to Commercial Drums
I suspect that you could take a drum to a RV or trailer axle shop and find a drum that would fit.

Thanks, Bruce. I have found drums at etrailer.com that uses the same inner and outer bearings but does that mean the spindles are the same?How do I determine what spindle# I have?
Bob

/ Converting MH to Commercial Drums #7  
Shouldn't matter. The inside bearing race rides on the spindle, the drum rides on the outer race........It should all fit nicely

AND let's not forget there is another axle type out there called UTG (utility trailer grade).

http://dexteraxle.com/hub_kits_5_2k_6k

/ Converting MH to Commercial Drums #8  
Here is some documentation.

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - FAQ'S

I just called the Indiana DOT office. I was transferred a few times and finally talked to a officer in the commercial division. I explained this was not commercial but for private use. He understood that.

He said the major issues is the tires. The ones that come on MH's are not legal for reuse because they get a waiver from the DOT for one time use. Not DOT approved. He also stated that the axles are technically legal if the brakes work and are under 8'6" which most are not so they must be cut down. He also state that the info he has from major manufactures like Dexter and ALKO is that the axle has a design life limit of 6,000 miles. If used after that period and a accident happens you will be found liable. He stated this has happened in a case here in the last year where a cut down axle failed.

Again, this all comes down to who you talk to. My cop buddy swears they are illegal and he will ticket it if he sees it. What is the right answer is somewhere in between. Why risk it though? Parts are hard to find and by the time its all said and done its just easier and better to have the proper tool for the job, a legal trailer axle. I have messed with them and its just not worth it. I refuse to pull trailers with them anymore, just too much to chance.

Chris

/ Converting MH to Commercial Drums #9  
Here is some documentation.
He said the major issues is the tires. The ones that come on MH's are not legal for reuse because they get a waiver from the DOT for one time use. Not DOT approved.
Chris

Some MH tires are stamped for MH use only others are not and are DOT approved. I have no problem finding low use 10 ply tires and wheels that are DOT approved for $25 each. I can get new 14.5" DOT approved tires for $75 each.

/ Converting MH to Commercial Drums #10  
"I can get new 14.5" DOT approved tires ....."
The fact that they are 14.5" tire is what has kept me away from using these. If I am going down the road on a weekend with my super find on a trailer and I lose 2 tires, WHERE are you going to find one:(:(:( You can go to any Costco, Walmart, Sears, Joes garage, Flea Market and find a REGULAR tire and wheel that will let you limp home.:thumbsup: Plus unless you get really old axles they have that weird rim with no center.