transmission problems

/ transmission problems #1  

toddbailey

Silver Member
Tractor
nh 3930, ford 1910, farmall super a, allis chamlers b
I was driving my 96 1/2 ton 4x4 today truck would shift from 1st to 2nd while trying to shift into 3rd felt like it went into neutral (engine revs no foward progress). I guess my trans is shot. Should I pull the trans and have it rebuilt my a local trans shop or replace it with a remanufactured unit?:confused2:

/ transmission problems #2  
well... without knowing the specifics.. its hard to say. That being said, I would take a bench built transmission over an OEM reman any day.
I have several friends that own various GM products, all with the same trans... seems all of them have had to replace their trans... putting a GM reman in there would not solve the failures.... One guy actually bought a GM reman and it failed within 18 months!!!.
Not picking on the GM's... just using them as an example...
The Dodge pickup transmissions were equally as bad from the early 90's until probably 2001-2002.. but can also be built better than stock by a competent shop...
Take it to a transmission shop that has a good reputation for doing quality work. They can make any necessary changes to build a stronger than stock transmission.

/ transmission problems #3  
It's almost kind of funny you kind of slammed GM when the original tranny lasted 15+ years. I wonder how many miles he got out of her?

/ transmission problems #4  
It seems like trannys are the first thing to go now days because the engines are all so good. I would get a quality reman if you are looking to keep its, something like a Jasper.

Chris

/ transmission problems
I have no complaints about this truck it has 198k and has been used like a truck should be. I am still exploring my options. I will not get a GM reman unit had a bad experience with an engine I purchased a few years back would not hornor their warranty.

/ transmission problems #6  
I have a trusted transmission mechanic that I go to. A local guy will stand behind his work, and will probably be able to build you a great transmission out of what you have. While the 4L60E has been improved over the years, it still has weak parts. Built right, it can be a very strong transmission and extremely reliable.

Look into a local shop that has great reviews by local contractors and landscapers. If you find a landscaper that praises their transmission shop, you found the right one.

/ transmission problems #7  
I had similiar situation - 1991 Silverado 4WD w/ 150k. I had a trusted friend/ASE mechanic rebuild the transmission. It's going on 2 years & approx. 20k miles and no issues. The cost was approx. $1200 including removal/installation.

/ transmission problems #8  
It seems like trannys are the first thing to go now days because the engines are all so good. I would get a quality reman if you are looking to keep its, something like a Jasper.

Chris

Yep, engines last longer, manufacturers are adding more and more gears and putting numerically lower rear end gears to help their CAFE numbers..... In the not too distant past, this caused lots of transmission failures in GM and Dodge products... A local transmission guy that I have used in the past said they were prone to overheating/insufficient lubrication while in overdrive and failing.

I forgot about Jasper.... I hear they build a good product....

/ transmission problems #9  
Yep, engines last longer, manufacturers are adding more and more gears and putting numerically lower rear end gears to help their CAFE numbers..... In the not too distant past, this caused lots of transmission failures in GM and Dodge products... A local transmission guy that I have used in the past said they were prone to overheating/insufficient lubrication while in overdrive and failing.

I forgot about Jasper.... I hear they build a good product....

Heat is the killer of trannys. When I replace the tranny in my Dodge 2500 for the second time I used Jasper. They would not even sell the tranny without a larger cooler for that particular model. They said what Dodge put on from the factory was not sufficient.

Chris

/ transmission problems #10  
Heat is the killer of trannys. When I replace the tranny in my Dodge 2500 for the second time I used Jasper. They would not even sell the tranny without a larger cooler for that particular model. They said what Dodge put on from the factory was not sufficient.

Chris

years ago, i had a 1/2 ton Dodge and had the trans. go out... I remember looking into a Jasper trans and finding that same information....
I ended up having it rebuilt locally and bypassing the factory cooler system and lines and running 4000psi rated hydraulic hoses to an independent air-to-oil cooler that had its own electric fan. The cooler was mounted under the bed and out of the way.....