How much vehicle to tow Deere 410C Backhoe

/ How much vehicle to tow Deere 410C Backhoe #1  

Jaspell

I have tried to search this forum and am left just plain confused. I want to add a backhoe to my company and have settled on a Deere 410C. (15,000#). Obvioulsy I need a trailer and a vehicle to tow it to jobs. Can someone give me some idead of how much truck/trailer I need for this gig.

I am tempted to just go out and buy a Mack Dump or a Ford LN9000 but I'm afraid that may be overkill. What sort of truck and trailer would you guys recommend. Air brakes?

My jobs are within 20 mile radius of shop but include some significant hilly terrain.

Thanks.

Current holdings
1994 F-250 4x4
1997 F-350 4x4
1997 F-450 Dump, Mason Body
1997 F-450 2x2 Stake Body

/ How much vehicle to tow Deere 410C Backhoe #2  
IMO, First choice? I would look for an old single axle Mack- R-600 or U-600. Ideal truck would have a 237 horse Maxidyne and a six speed low hole trans. the 6 speed might be a stretch so you would probbly have to settle for a 5 speed. This truck would be late seventies, early 80's and you should be able to find a decent one for under 10 grand. Most of these out there would have been tractors (the 5 speeds) in their original life and then they were converted to dump service.

As for the Fords, likewise plenty of old Ford LN -9000 tractors are still running around that have been converted to dump trucks. Even an LN 8000 with the 7.8 Ford or if its newer, an 8.3 Cummins will do the job. As for trailers, don't get anything less than a 10 ton tag trailer. Also don't rule out an International in particular if it has a DT 466. Plenty of power for what you want to do.

/ How much vehicle to tow Deere 410C Backhoe #3  
You need to look at the Gross Combined Weight Rating of your trucks. The GCWR is the total weight of truck, trailer and load. It is the legal max. Get into an accident when you're over that max and the lawyers will take you to the cleaners as you're overloaded. Go very far over and then you're into gross negligence with matching penalties $$$$$.

Then look at the weight of a trailer that carry the 410C. Add it all up with a bit extra for tools, attachments and "stuff". That will determine how much truck you'll need.

/ How much vehicle to tow Deere 410C Backhoe #4  
I have tried to search this forum and am left just plain confused. I want to add a backhoe to my company and have settled on a Deere 410C. (15,000#). Obvioulsy I need a trailer and a vehicle to tow it to jobs. Can someone give me some idead of how much truck/trailer I need for this gig.

I am tempted to just go out and buy a Mack Dump or a Ford LN9000 but I'm afraid that may be overkill. What sort of truck and trailer would you guys recommend. Air brakes?

My jobs are within 20 mile radius of shop but include some significant hilly terrain.

Thanks.

Current holdings
1994 F-250 4x4
1997 F-350 4x4
1997 F-450 Dump, Mason Body
1997 F-450 2x2 Stake Body

This is the rig my local backhoe contractor uses

DSCF0013 (Small).JPGDSCF0014 (Small).JPGDSCF0015 (Small).JPGDSCF0016 (Small).JPG

Seems to work OK for him.

Good luck

/ How much vehicle to tow Deere 410C Backhoe
Red,
You and i are on the same page. Those were exactly the vintage Macks I had in mind. I note you are in Mass. I am in CT. If I'm driving the vehicle myself with the tow load, do you know if a CDL is required?

thanks.

/ How much vehicle to tow Deere 410C Backhoe #6  
Red,
If I'm driving the vehicle myself with the tow load, do you know if a CDL is required?

thanks.

Absolutely. Medical card, DOT safety inspection on equipment, etc, etc. You are entering a whole new world of paperwork and expense.

/ How much vehicle to tow Deere 410C Backhoe #7  
Absolutely. Medical card, DOT safety inspection on equipment, etc, etc. You are entering a whole new world of paperwork and expense.

Right on- to add to that, the key is the GVW of the trailer. Once you go over 10,000 lbs. GVW on the trailer, you need a class one-at least here in MA. You can buy a 73,000 lb triaxle dump and you just need a class 2. You could even pull a skid steer trailer with that big truck and its ok. But once you put a trailer on it that is over 10,000 lbs- which you will need to pull a 410- you need a class one.

Good luck.

As for Rick's point on the medical- I don't think anyone would bother you-but if you run I-84 say up near the MA line and the Coop is open-chances are they might ask to see it.

/ How much vehicle to tow Deere 410C Backhoe #8  
Then there is the friendly guys of DOT. When they check over your truck, trailer, and load, your day will go south. EVERYTHING must me in good working order, and the load properly secured. The trailer pictured above is too short for hauling the JD. When hauling, both buckets must be sitting on the deck.

If you buy a truck, make sure it is geared low enough for hills and site work. Some road tractors are not.

I would look at buying a 35 size mini-excavator, so you can move it with a 10K
skid-loader trailer. A 35 mini is definitely not a 410C, but it is more portable,

/ How much vehicle to tow Deere 410C Backhoe #9  
The cheapest way to do its is like the others stated with a older dumper. A new Ford F-350/F-450 and the new 2011 Dmax 3500 both have tow ratings north of 24,000#. I would think a GN trailer like the one I used to have with dual tandem 12,000# axles and a 25,000# GVWR would work. The trailer is going to be about 6,000# and the truck is going to be 8,000# plus your BH at 15,000#.

It will cost more than a old dumper but may be a truck you can use for other uses.

Chris

/ How much vehicle to tow Deere 410C Backhoe #10  
Reminds me of when I was a kid. There was a small time excavator that would put the bucket over the back of the dump box and raise the front wheels of his backhoe about a foot off the ground and take off down the road. No trailer required. Seems crazy now.