What do I offer?

/ What do I offer? #1  

HiTechTed

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
I'm looking at a 2011 Silverado quad cab truck. It was a dealer demo and has 4800 miles on it. My question is, what should I be reasonably asking them to knock off of the price for the 4800 miles THEY put on that truck? I have to take it back in about 5 hours so any input on this before I leave would be appreciated! I know as soon as I drive off in it the value drops drastically so I think that what they put on it should count for something.

/ What do I offer? #2  
In reality, they are not going to give too much for the 4800 miles. Make your deal like you are buying a new truck with 0 miles. Then consider a few hundred dollars less for the mileage. I don't believe they will take a $1000 more off the price. I am starting to see more trucks ads and specials on the pickups. My guess there is getting to be a surplus with the increase in fuel the past couple of months.

/ What do I offer? #3  
I would say fifty cents per mile? Or more you should be able to start at
invoice and go down from there.

/ What do I offer? #4  
Don't offer 16 percent off of sticker price unless you are very serious about buying it.

/ What do I offer? #5  
If I were buying it I would offer what a 2010 in excellent condition books for. If they do not take it walk and just get a new truck, not a used one.

Chris

/ What do I offer? #7  
An dealer employee can get a vehicle off the lot as a "demo" and drive it for their own use. The dealer cannot sell it as new with more than 5000 miles, hence the 4800 miles. The employee is paying interest on that returned vehicle sitting there until it is sold. Sometimes a salesman will have 2 or 3 vehicles he is paying interest on so he can drive a new vehicle all the time. Find out which person drove the vehicle, makes for a motivated seller.

We bought a Chevrolet Tahoe demo once. When an dealer employee gets a vehicle for a demo, the warranty starts that day. Find out when the warranty started. While it may be a 2011 and 4800 miles is not much off the 36,000 warranty, it may have only 24 months left of the 36.

/ What do I offer? #8  
I'd expect a LOT off for 4800 miles.
Never liked demos because often they've had the living crap flogged out of them by all the test drives "seeing what she'll do". :licking:
But maybe thats just me....

/ What do I offer? #9  
If I were buying it I would offer what a 2010 in excellent condition books for. If they do not take it walk and just get a new truck, not a used one.

Chris

I agree with Chris.
As far as I'm concerned if it has 4800 miles its a used truck. It may still smell new, look new, drive like new, but its a used truck.
Look at it this way, if you bought a new truck for $35K and drove it 4800 miles then decided you didn't like it and put it up for sale do you think you'd get anything close to the 35K you paid? I doubt it because anyone looking at it would expect a big chunk off the price otherwise they might as well buy new. And I doubt the dealer would give you what you paid either. If you did trade it in at the same dealer for something else it might show on paper he gave you what you paid but that's not what you'd get in real life. If you want the truck offer the 2010 book price.

/ What do I offer? #10  
Go and negotiate a price for a new one first, and then take off 15% off the best negotiated price , and not 15% off the stiker price.

If they dont want , buy the new one if you can afford it.