Trailer moving ability??

/ Trailer moving ability?? #1  

Anonymous Poster

As long as everyone's in the mood talking about wheel motor torque and I'm drawing close to setting a date for the pilgrimage (to Tazewell), I'm hoping others out here use their 400 series to jockey trailers around the yard(driveway)...
What are some of the heavier weighted trailers that have been moved about. I'm really hoping I can move a 5-6k(tongue less than #700) tandem axle trailer infrequently or is this just wishful thinking...

/ Trailer moving ability?? #2  
Since I have an 1845, I can't be really sure, but my guess is you will have no problem moving your trailer around, and with good control, on the level. I move a dump trailer to get manure out of the barn and through a narrow road to a compost area. Riding forward and pushing the trailer backward is ridiculously easy, and you can back it into amazingly tight spaces. (You can create a challenging situation if you drop off in the garage and then rehook at an angle. Straightening out to pull it out may require rehooking.)
As to the weight, you'll probably have enough power to move the rig on the level with no problem. I'd be concerned on slopes, however, that you don't have enough weight to stop it if it starts downhill. Pulling, on most surfaces I'd bet you'd run out of traction before running out of power. Braking would be problematical if the PT starts to slide. It shouldn't be hard, however, to wire a plug to activate the trailer brakes with a pushbutton or better, a toggle switch. With the latter, if it started to get away, you could lock everything and chock it off while you figure out the right solution.

/ Trailer moving ability??
Thanks charlie,

As it turns out I do have a 2.75 deg slope on driveway...The trawler has surge brakes and the Jayco has electric...I do have plans to make (elec.) brake hookup and thought I might hang a 4x4 post from the rear of the surge braked tr. with enough slack to lay down and block the wheels if I stop for any reason and if the PT won't hold on cement drive. Most likely I'll have a spotter in either case...standing by with chocks...
Good safe thinking.../w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif

/ Trailer moving ability?? #4  
Charlie: <font color=red>Riding forward and pushing the trailer backward is ridiculously easy, and you can back it into amazingly tight spaces</font color=red>

This may be a bit off topic, but pushing a trailer down the road at full tilt without jackknifing is enough to bunch the shorts. And since I need to move stuff up to a couple of miles, this just won't cut it. My thought of the day is to put a quick attach plate on a trailer with big caster wheels; then it would push like any attachment with casters. Then like the PT power dumper, just lift & curl to dump it.

/ Trailer moving ability?? #5  
Sedgewood:
I certainly wasn't suggesting pushing a trailer at high speed down the road. That's what you have a Tacoma for -- or the 2" receiver I welded to the back of the 1845. With that, when I run down the road at the PT's full 11 mph, the trailer obediently follows. But for backing it at speeds where emergency reflexes need not be tested, precise placement is very easy.
Why you always gotta muddy da water?? /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Trailer moving ability?? #6  
Charlie: <font color=red>I certainly wasn't suggesting pushing a trailer at high speed down the road.</font color=red>

No. I was. As usual I wander off a bit. This all just reminded me of my long wait for the magic power dumper to appear - only to discover I hadn't thought my application through - its seldom I need to move stuff only a few feet. The power dumper is pretty close to what I need - except I need to travel farther with the stuff. Stuff like firewood, gravel, topsoil, tree debris. Go to the far side, get a load, bring it back and dump it. Repeat. At the extreme that can be close to a mile, some of it on public road - kinda like your situation. The grab & go of the quick attach is far more convienient than hitch & unhitch, especially if I have to drive the Tacoma & a trailer way over there (where it can't wiggle into anyway) and walk back for the PT. I wanna high speed power dumper.

<font color=red>But for backing it at speeds where emergency reflexes need not be tested, precise placement is very easy.</font color=red>

I've just got a bad case of bubenbergitis festering here; I want precise, I want quick switch, and I want fast too. Now ya take a bubenberg superboom with a nice quick attach coupler out at the end - snap on a power dumper out there and you can precisely place it in the next county!! Then with the minhoe ya can bury the wheellbarrow for good. Way over there cause ya snapped the minihoe on the superboom. Oh gawd I've gone too far now... must be that last canopy konk on the head */:) casters

<font color=red>Why you always gotta muddy da water?? </font color=red>

So I can't see my reflection?

/ Trailer moving ability?? #7  
Why you always gotta muddy da water??

So I can't see my reflection?

Stop it! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Trailer moving ability?? #8  
I have a 4' by 8' hay trailer that I fill with cord wood and haul with my PT425. I have little problems on flat ground but I must keep the equipment rolling to make it up hills.

/ Trailer moving ability?? #9  
ptrich, long time no see you, happy new year.

based on your comment, i understand much better what you were saying when earlier we were talking about the power dumper.

/ Trailer moving ability??
PT,
Good to hear from you...how is that 425 holding up...hrs?