Swapt Trailer for Trailer

/ Swapt Trailer for Trailer #1  

deepNdirt

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar YM-1700
I had the perfect size trailer for my CUT tractor, Trailer being size 5' x 13.6 dove tail with hinged ramps dual axle, brakes on 1 axle, 14" bias tires. this medium to heavy duty trailer towed great,
It's original owner had been using it to haul his Ditch-Witch trencher & spool of cable,

I've been using this trailer for a couple years to transport my compact tractor. Although this size trailer only haul the tractor with its FEL along with only 1 implement, I have found times that I need to have another tool but no space to haul it,:cool:
So! Decided to seek out a trade for a larger trailer, Perhaps someone would trade even-steven? Last week this such person contact me and said he would trade and explained that he no longer has a truck large enough to pull his 6.5 x 16 ft. trailer and would be glad to trade down to my smaller trailer.

He also advised me that his trailer is just like mine only larger, This had me very interested so I decided to go take a look, His trailer was sitting in tall weeds and looked good from the tops side and tires were good with no dry rotting, Basically all I could see is it would need paint and some boards replaced........ turns out this would be the least of my problems:cool:
I go ahead and make the trade for a 6.5 x 16
I realized there were going to be a few trade offs in features, My trailer had dovetail with ramps ... this 16 ft'r did not have ramps or dovetail, my trailer had 1 axle brakes... this other trailer had no brakes at all, My trailer had heavy duty diamond fenders... this other one had thin cheap metal stamped fenders, my trailer had all good wood floor boards,... his would need 4 boards replaced... I was willing to make the trade to gain a much needed and larger trailer,

after getting the trailer home I could better inspect it, I didn't like what I found, The tongue had been replaced and not a very good job done I might add,:mad: I called him back on this and he act as though he had no knowledge of this and advised me he never had any trouble with it this way, but all he had ever hauled with it was firewood logs,

Apparently the tongue had been bent at some point and time, bad enough to needing cut off and replaced, the material used was 3x3 angle iron, when looking back under the trailer I could see it used to have 4x4 angle iron, I wound up re-welding the tongue from the tops side and bottom side, and welding a diagonal pc. from top rail to the tongue to try and reinforce it for now, Later i will weld onto the tongue some 4" channel,
I then moved to the rear of the trailer and cut at the next back cross-member in order to lower and build a dovetail into the trailer making it much easier to load and unload things,
I primed and re-painted it although I will now need to get electric brakes for at least one axle's, even though I had to do much work to it I now have the size trailer I need to haul necessary implements for any job, although thinking back now:eek: I think I could have rather sold my trailer and simply purchased another larger one for less than what time and money I'm having to spend to have this one converted the way I need it,:cool:
My story is to let you folks be aware that what you first think might be a good trade can wind up you getting the bad end of the deal,
This person i traded with now has a perfect trailer that he can simply go use,
I had to spend the better part of 4 days getting this other one ready to use,
I guess I'm not too old to learn new lessons:D

As you can see in the pictures I now have much more room for my extra tools :thumbsup:
actually since taking this picture I have fitted my Box scrape onto the trailer as well,

Last edited:
   / Swapt Trailer for Trailer #2  
Well I guess you made it work. but I wouldn't expect to find a good trade in equipment trailers. like you said sell yours and get what you need.

JB.

/ Swapt Trailer for Trailer #3  
If you are happy that is all that matters. I have found 9 times out of 10 used trailers are not a good deal in the long run. I have been money ahead just selling mine and buying new when needed.

Case in point. My neighbor bough a 16' trailer. Needed new bearings, new paint, new boards, new wiring, and new tires. All said and done they have nearly $2000 in it. I can buy them new all day long for $1600 around here.

Chris

/ Swapt Trailer for Trailer
Another thing you folks should look for when buying a trailer, Is!
( D-Ring Hooks) I didn't realize this 16 ft'r had none until attempting to strap down the tractor, No D-rings:mad: Heck even my smaller trailer had 5- D-ring hooks to strap things down with,:cool: so I guess I'll be having purchase some of these as well @ 12.00 each, plus cost of weld,

/ Swapt Trailer for Trailer #5  
Another thing you folks should look for when buying a trailer, Is!
( D-Ring Hooks) I didn't realize this 16 ft'r had none until attempting to strap down the tractor, No D-rings:mad: Heck even my smaller trailer had 5- D-ring hooks to strap things down with,:cool: so I guess I'll be having purchase some of these as well @ 12.00 each, plus cost of weld,

Buy a 10' stick of 1/2" re-barb and cut it in 10" lengths, 12 of them. Now weld them in at 45 deg angles between the frame and the vertical uprights for the rail. Gives you lots of options to secure stuff and does not cost a arm and a leg.

I have done this on numerous customers trailers. On my 18' trailer I have theses on each upright. Just drill a 1/2" hole and put them in. No welding. I got mine on EBAY, 10 for $30 shipped to my home.

Chris

Attachments

• 1-2 Safety Shackle.JPG
    1-2 Safety Shackle.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 152
   / Swapt Trailer for Trailer #6  
I just use the stake pockets, drop the chain thru and bring the hook up and grab the top.

20ft trailer has plenty of pockets, it has the rail as well not sure if that's as safe to use

JB

Attachments

• DSCN3448.JPG
    DSCN3448.JPG
    997.9 KB · Views: 310
   / Swapt Trailer for Trailer
Hey! Diamandpilot.. great Idea using the shackle rings, Thats exactly what I'll use:thumbsup: and if I decide to ever trade again, I can simply remove them :D

and -JB4310- it has also accrued to me after looking at your trailer that I need to get some DOT reflective Tape, oh well, the money I saved on not buying D-rings I can use to buy the tape ;)
BTW the 18 ft trailer I had a few years back had the stake pockets as well, and i could do as you mentioned,
There is no comparison between the 18 ft. trailer i had and this wimpy 16 ft'r, when I quit buying old cars I had no more use for such a large trailer while having a small tractor, This is when I started trading around for a better suited size for my tractor, Funny though now I have got back up to close the size of the 18 ftr I had in the beginning, but only half the quality of trailer,:eek:

/ Swapt Trailer for Trailer #8  
Conspicuity tape is the fancy term. Spell check doesn't recognize the word though.

We had the manufacturer in the next town, Reflexite they may of even had the patent, not sure. But everyone around here was able to get it for free at one time from acquaintances who worked there.

Reflective products - lighting optics, optical engineers, polymer processing - Reflexite

Haven't seen any lately so I think they cracked down on the freebies.
They whack you pretty good for that stuff, not cheap.

JB.

/ Swapt Trailer for Trailer #10  
25% off today only at HF, any one item!