Automotive question

/ Automotive question #1  

gregsons

Silver Member
Tractor
ford 3500 / dultz allis/ IH 434
This is most likely not the place to ask but people on this forum have help me out on many differant issues.

Im trying to get my 84 Monte carlo ready to sell. I have only driven it about 100 miles in the last 2 years. But now its making a ticking sound coming from the drivers side of the motor. Seems like half way back near the head not the bottom of the engine. If i give it gas the ticking speeds up. Im thinking lifters.
Questions: From what i have give what could it be? If it is lifters whats in it to replace them? take that head off? Any info would be welcomed.
Thanks

/ Automotive question #2  
This is most likely not the place to ask but people on this forum have help me out on many differant issues.

Im trying to get my 84 Monte carlo ready to sell. I have only driven it about 100 miles in the last 2 years. But now its making a ticking sound coming from the drivers side of the motor. Seems like half way back near the head not the bottom of the engine. If i give it gas the ticking speeds up. Im thinking lifters.
Questions: From what i have give what could it be? If it is lifters whats in it to replace them? take that head off? Any info would be welcomed.
Thanks

Sounds like a collapsed lifter to me. Driving it as little as you do is aggrevating this. I would warm it up, change the oil and put a couple hundred easy miles on it see if the lifter pumps back up...Sometimes they do.

/ Automotive question #3  
To be honest it is what it is. I would pull the valve cover and take a look and maybe change the oil to the heaviest weight allowed by the book. At the end of the day its a nearly 30 year old car. It can not be worth much so sell it as is. You could not fix it and break even.

Chris

/ Automotive question #4  
Change the oil & see what happens.

/ Automotive question #5  
Are you sure its not just a leaky exhaust manifold/header ?...............just a thought.

/ Automotive question #6  
Try a can of Marvel Mystery Oil...might free up that lifter.

/ Automotive question #7  
Oil change and Marvel Mystery oil, both good suggestions.
My 92 Ranger did this after being parked for a few months. Oil change with syth, warm it up, no more ticks.

/ Automotive question
Thanks for all the suggestions Ill change the oil. Even thought i dont drive it much i still change the oil every year in the spring when she come out of the garage. Im also going to check the adjustment of the rockers.
Nope not a exhaust leak that was my first thought too.

I sure hope it dont cost more then the value of the car to fix. I have alot of $$ into this girl

Last edited:
   / Automotive question #9  
Thanks for all the suggestions Ill change the oil. Even thought i dont drive it much i still change the oil every year in the spring when she come out of the garage. Im also going to check the adjustment of the rockers.
Nope not a exhaust leak that was my first thought too.

I sure hope it dont cost more then the value of the car to fix. I have alot of $$ into this girl

How about some pictures?...I like that year Monte.

/ Automotive question #10  
I don't think that the rockers are adjustable? Been a long time since I've been in one. I wouldn't take anything apart yet. Put some stuff in the oil for sticky lifters and see if that don't clear it up first.