1967 F-350 Flatbed Rebuild, Ideas?

/ 1967 F-350 Flatbed Rebuild, Ideas? #1  

Millsonwheels

Bronze Member
Well this summer Im going to tackle redoing the flatbed on my 1967 F-350 Truck. Heres an overview on the truck: Was preordered when the new model came out by my grandfather in 66 when the new models first showed up, he ordered in with 5200 pound springs, 352 208 Hp V-8, Np435 4 speed and radio delete, all as a cab and chassis truck. When it first came in he build the flatbed for it using a torch and whatever scrap he could find. He then Daily drove it till 78 when he bought a new F-150 (which I also have restored and ready to go) and just used it as a farm truck till my father got it and repainted and moderately restored it in the early 80's. Dad used it as the main work horse till he bought a 2.5 ton dump truck in like 2004.

Then I guess you could say I just stole it from dad, since he wasn't using it. I used it as it was every day on the farm and for my then lawn care business. Recently we have been slowly upgrading the truck (tires, power steering, New seat, etc.

But id like to address the bed situation now, The bed has definatley been well used, not beat up, but used. The metal is thin and can see daylight in some places through it. The standards are also not placed an even distance apart and are not exactly 90 degrees with the bed surface, so its hard to get the racks in and out with out a pry bar.

Basically what I would like to do with it is clean it up make it look good like the last picture and add two small toolboxes to the sides. I would like it to fit the trucks time frame of 67-72 as far as the look of the lights and all.

Heres what it first looked like when I first started doing anything with it. Then later on, This picture (im sorry for stealing the pic if its yours but it like it) is what i would like mine to look like (excluding the headache rack).

Attachments

• 2 (2).jpg
    2 (2).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,970
  • P4090263.jpg
    P4090263.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 997
  • P4090264.jpg
    P4090264.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 954
  • P4100265.jpg
    P4100265.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 783
  • P4100266.jpg
    P4100266.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 878
  • chevyandrhinopics017.jpg
    chevyandrhinopics017.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,006
   / 1967 F-350 Flatbed Rebuild, Ideas? #2  
Wow, that is a prime candidate for restoration. Pretty remarkable that it has been in the family since new. I take it that they do not use road salt in your area! I am in the process of having a 46 ford 1 ton restored and can't wait till its finished. I would like to find an old flat bed with the "Ford" script on the back, but don't know if I can find one. Whatever you do, please keep us updated with pics. Gotta love an old ford truck.

/ 1967 F-350 Flatbed Rebuild, Ideas? #3  
Neat story on the truck. Cant wait to see it done.

Chris

/ 1967 F-350 Flatbed Rebuild, Ideas? #4  
Looking forward to the thread. I've always been fond of '67-'72 ford pickups and trucks. I like the lift on the one but personally would prefer a little less. Why not a headache rack on the flatbed?

/ 1967 F-350 Flatbed Rebuild, Ideas? #5  
That 67 looks to be in pretty good shape for its age. I'm sure it will turn out real nice when your done. Also, that truck in the last pic is real sharp looking.

/ 1967 F-350 Flatbed Rebuild, Ideas?
Wow, that is a prime candidate for restoration. Pretty remarkable that it has been in the family since new. I take it that they do not use road salt in your area! I am in the process of having a 46 ford 1 ton restored and can't wait till its finished. I would like to find an old flat bed with the "Ford" script on the back, but don't know if I can find one. Whatever you do, please keep us updated with pics. Gotta love an old ford truck.

Thanks, they do salt but luckily it wasn't been driven in the winter time (being 2wd and all) since 1978. I did have a 1969 F-350 with the dealer installed flatbed we sold awhile back. Ps: I would like to see some pics of that '46 :D

Basically I want a reliable modern truck, that looks period, and cool (of course)

Diamondpilot - Thanks, ill try my best.

jayste - the lift is a little extreme on that Chevy and it looks like its coming out of the water a little too much but I really like the fact it four wheel drive though. I'm also not saying I don't want a headache rack, I do but that particular one on the Chevy doesn't look quite right. I'm looking to keep the square bottom on mine and taper the top above the standards to match the cab.

ditzel - Thanks again. Yeah shes a pretty solid old truck for the area where in, I'm hoping to get some paint on it that's not Faded Pink :ashamed: when I find a place that will do it right and of course when money allows.

Question: I love the look of the last truck I posted but do you guys have any idea for taillights that would look vintage for the truck?

Thanks, Mills

/ 1967 F-350 Flatbed Rebuild, Ideas? #7  
I used to have a 1970 Ford F350 dual wheel dump. Selling it was such a dumb move. Those 1967-1979 Fords had such a timeless look. I think it would be worth looking into powdercoating the bed, maybe cheaper than a aluminum bed, about $4,000. If it dumps its around $6,000, I'm constantly painting the bed of my current dump and it is not fun.

/ 1967 F-350 Flatbed Rebuild, Ideas? #8  
[
Basically I want a reliable modern truck, that looks period, and cool (of course)

Well if you want to make a "modern" truck out of that one, yoy will need to some how shave down all of the metal parts (body parts also) to about a quarter of what that oldie is made of and add a few hundred pounds of plastic and vinyl, throw in some aluminum and a stupid computer and and you'll be on your way!!:laughing::laughing:

/ 1967 F-350 Flatbed Rebuild, Ideas?
I used to have a 1970 Ford F350 dual wheel dump. Selling it was such a dumb move. Those 1967-1979 Fords had such a timeless look. I think it would be worth looking into powdercoating the bed, maybe cheaper than a aluminum bed, about $4,000. If it dumps its around $6,000, I'm constantly painting the bed of my current dump and it is not fun.

I don't know about powder coating but that would blow my entire budget, i have had really good luck with PPG dtm paint rolled out thick (for one its cheap and tough as nails if put down when its hot). so that's what i will probably do.

[

Well if you want to make a "modern" truck out of that one, yoy will need to some how shave down all of the metal parts (body parts also) to about a quarter of what that oldie is made of and add a few hundred pounds of plastic and vinyl, throw in some aluminum and a stupid computer and and you'll be on your way!!:laughing::laughing:

Well nots so much modern at all, Im looking for reliable simplicity. Solid front axle, Manual trans, Disc drive line parking brake, possibly 12v cummins?

-Mills

/ 1967 F-350 Flatbed Rebuild, Ideas? #10  
Where would that paint be found? I've never heard of it.