Can I Beef Up My Truck for Heavier Payload?

/ Can I Beef Up My Truck for Heavier Payload? #1  

Haoleguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5325; Landini Mistral 50
This is a specific question related to an earlier question of mine which yielded no followups yet. Can one increase their pickup truck payload from ~1600 lbs to 2400lbs with any aftermarket rear leaf spring load stabilizers or other gizmos?....Gary

/ Can I Beef Up My Truck for Heavier Payload? #2  
This is a specific question related to an earlier question of mine which yielded no followups yet. Can one increase their pickup truck payload from ~1600 lbs to 2400lbs with any aftermarket rear leaf spring load stabilizers or other gizmos?....Gary

all i know is you can add assist lief springs, and/or air shocks to increase the carrying capacity, but you risk bending the axle.

don't ask me how i know hehe. i bent the rear axle on my old Chevy doing this.

/ Can I Beef Up My Truck for Heavier Payload? #3  
Yes, it is very possible to do so.

Unfortunately, that takes away from your trucks legal payload by adding weight.

Kyle

/ Can I Beef Up My Truck for Heavier Payload? #4  
legally no.

actually yes. You could technically make your truck capable of 10,000lbs but legally going down the road you would be limited to your oem rating (1600lbs??).

/ Can I Beef Up My Truck for Heavier Payload? #5  
air bags and add-a-leafs (or new spring packs) are common ways.

but expect other issues such as bearing failures, bending axles and tire issues if you dont upgrade to tires that can handle the weight.

the above is in lue of obvious GAWR/GVWR legalities. :cool:

/ Can I Beef Up My Truck for Heavier Payload? #6  
I have "added" capability to most of my trucks over the last 30 years, but let's be really honest. Even if you give a boost by adding a spring or two, air shocks, slightly oversized tires, etc, the reality is that you really cannot add heavier axles, brakes, drive shaft, etc.

Adding a few hundred pounds is easy. Adding 1000 pounds or more is not realistic.

Finally, a half ton posing as a light 3/4 ton never handles like the real thing.

/ Can I Beef Up My Truck for Heavier Payload? #7  
Here in Southern IL. There are a bunch of mining bit companys and almost all of them have older long bed F350's with double stacked leaf springs. They get an old set from the junk yard and stack them together with new Ubolts. It lifts the rear end a few inches and WOW what a difference. The truck still rides like a log wagon with 3000 pounds on it. I would hate to guess what they carry.

/ Can I Beef Up My Truck for Heavier Payload? #8  
the reality is that you really cannot add heavier axles, brakes, drive shaft, etc.

you can do an axle swap...for instance... not that hard to swap an axle from a F250 or F350 into an F150

but at some point you have to ask, is it worth it to do all *this* when you could just buy a bigger truck...

/ Can I Beef Up My Truck for Heavier Payload? #9  
I believe in Canada you can even legally increase your oem payload but you have to live with increased insurance costs and you need to find an engineer to stamp it as okay. Expensive might want to just buy a one ton

/ Can I Beef Up My Truck for Heavier Payload? #10  

The best way i found to increase my payload on my F-350 was to buy a air bag kit from Air Lifter. I bought the Air lifter II kit. Comes with compresor, in cab controls, dual guages to independantly control the bag on each side of the truck. The compresor automatically kicked on when one of the bags went below 5lsb. Con to this system is the air lines can get wear holes. I fixed this by rerunning all my lines through a old garden hose. you can also buy just air bags that you can air up with an aircompressor in your grauage or shop. Hope this helps you with your delima.