Relocate spring seat?

/ Relocate spring seat? #1  

MillWeld

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 641
I have 2 axles with 74.5 inches between spring seats which I am going to put on a trailer that requires 74 inches. A lousey quarter inch off on each end!. Is it necessary to relocate seats for such a small difference? Is there an alternative to grinding off the old and re-installing the new?
Bob

/ Relocate spring seat? #2  
I would put the front spring seat bolt in then set the trailer down on it. The weight may make it go or if not a come along should get things to line up.

Chris

/ Relocate spring seat?
Chris,

So, forcing a 0.25" mis-alignment into position is an OK way to go? And trailer handling under a load will still be stable? If so, it sure beats all that grinding in order to re-weld!

Bob

/ Relocate spring seat? #4  
Chris,

So, forcing a 0.25" mis-alignment into position is an OK way to go? And trailer handling under a load will still be stable? If so, it sure beats all that grinding in order to re-weld!

Bob

I may have misunderstood you. Is if off on one side only or is both sides 1/4" too short? If both sides are out equally I think you will find they will go right in with a bit of a load on them.

Chris

/ Relocate spring seat? #5  
I have 2 axles with 74.5 inches between spring seats which I am going to put on a trailer that requires 74 inches. A lousey quarter inch off on each end!. Is it necessary to relocate seats for such a small difference?
No, you could just get the bolt head into the seat hole and clamp the springs to the axle.
Is there an alternative to grinding off the old and re-installing the new?
Bob
Yes, you could use a die grinder and slot the hole in the spring seat pad so the springs will sit without having to spread them, or slot a shorter distance so you don't have to force the springs apart the full half inch.

/ Relocate spring seat?
Chris,
Both sides are 0.25" off.

Mace,
Elongate the hole in the spring seat just enough so the leaf springs seat properly. Theoretically, that would be 0.25". Did I understand correctly?

Thanks,
Bob

/ Relocate spring seat?
You guys have given me an idea: Elongate the hole as Mace has suggested. Cut a new spring seat in half lengthwise, butt it up to an existing seat and weld them together. This essentially makes a wider seat to accommodate the offset created by elongating the hole. I could then even partially fill the elongated hole with a weld to make it more round.:thumbsup::thumbsup: