Trailer decking

/ Trailer decking #1  

Wacky

Veteran Member
Tractor
2010 GC2610
Well my 2001 18' dovetail trailer has finally started to show some age. The boards are starting to rot. I have done a search and see that the PT boards are not the way to go due to the corrosive properties of the treatment. So I was wondering if the untreated pine would work just as well. I would stain it with an oil based stain, but still not sure if it is strong enough. Any ideas of what wood would work best but not break the bank? I thought of going to the local sawmill but heard some stories about the price of oak right now. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

/ Trailer decking #2  
I had enough white oak sawn locally for my 16' trailer last May for $150. My trailer is at a weld shop now for new fenders, then after blasting and painting I will be installing the oak deck that will be treated with PA crude oil.

/ Trailer decking #3  
Don't know about the current treatment, but my 16' trailer has a #1 CCA floor, not problems with it! The trailer is over 15 years old.

Untreated pine would need some kind of treatment to keep it from deteriorating quickly! We used to coat hay racks & even manure spreaders with used engine oil years ago. Just don't tell the EPA or the environmentalists what you're doing! ~~ grnspot

/ Trailer decking #4  
PT lumber seems to be what most trailer builders use. At least in my area. If it were that big of a problem, I would think there would be more people complaining about it.

What kind of lumber was used last time that it only made it 10 years??

And have you considered skinning it with diamond plate and being done with it?

/ Trailer decking #5  
Well my 2001 18' dovetail trailer has finally started to show some age. The boards are starting to rot. I have done a search and see that the PT boards are not the way to go due to the corrosive properties of the treatment. So I was wondering if the untreated pine would work just as well. I would stain it with an oil based stain, but still not sure if it is strong enough. Any ideas of what wood would work best but not break the bank? I thought of going to the local sawmill but heard some stories about the price of oak right now. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
My trailer is a 1998 with pressure treated decking. No problems whatsoever.

/ Trailer decking
PT lumber seems to be what most trailer builders use. At least in my area. If it were that big of a problem, I would think there would be more people complaining about it.

What kind of lumber was used last time that it only made it 10 years??

And have you considered skinning it with diamond plate and being done with it?

I think it was untreated pine, the boards are rather light, but I stained it every 3yrs. It hasn't even been stored outside very much!:mad: Just the last 2 yrs. it has been outside alot. The places that started rotting are mostly around knots.

/ Trailer decking
Don't know about the current treatment, but my 16' trailer has a #1 CCA floor, not problems with it! The trailer is over 15 years old.

Untreated pine would need some kind of treatment to keep it from deteriorating quickly! We used to coat hay racks & even manure spreaders with used engine oil years ago. Just don't tell the EPA or the environmentalists what you're doing! ~~ grnspot

I am going to treat it with something:thumbsup:. Just need info if this has been done with any success before.

/ Trailer decking #8  
Treated is what I have on my trailer from the factory but when they need replaced I will use White Oak from the saw mill 5 miles away. About the same price and a good coat of used motor oil/diesel fuel and they will last 25 years.

Chris

/ Trailer decking
Treated is what I have on my trailer from the factory but when they need replaced I will use White Oak from the saw mill 5 miles away. About the same price and a good coat of used motor oil/diesel fuel and they will last 25 years.

Chris

Yours is probably the #1 treatment, right?? I am kind of worried about trashing my c'members with the #2, more corrosive treatment. I may go with the treated boards if I could find some stainless strapping to cover the c'members with. I think the oak is much heavier isn't it?

/ Trailer decking #10  
The "NEW" PT lumber has corrosive chemecals in it. The older trailers that these guys are talking about were treated with CCA and the new pt is differint and the name escapes me right now but all of your fasteners need to be either stainless or double dipped galv. (at least in the building industry) Down there in west by god VA get some white oak or ash from the local mill.