Brake controller ?

/ Brake controller ? #1  

lizardman

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 850,JD 810A(mine),JD LX280(dad)
I am thinking of buying a new tandem trailer, and since brakes are required (and because I really need them), I want to know what name brand and/or model brake controller to get. I hope to get a Big Tex or PJ 16' trailer with ramps, but I havent talked with anyone yet.

My truck is a 2006 Toyota Tundra DC with only 7,000 lb tow capacity. (Probably my biggest reason to go with a 7k lb trailer!)

I currently haul a JD 850, usually with no implement but sometimes with a RFM, disc, or box blade. I am eyeing a tractor like a Kubota L3800 with FEL, but I dont know if that will happen b4 I am too old to need a tractor.lol

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Rod

/ Brake controller ? #2  
There are a number of brands. I personally have a Tekonsha (I think that is how it is spelled) and like it. The important thing, in my opinion, is to make sure that you get a PROPORTIONAL controller and not a timed one.

/ Brake controller ? #3  
They are all about the same in the three price points. Under $100 is good for a guy who tows six or seven times a year. The $100 plus units are good for the guys towing that type of load once a month or so. In this price point its a good one is the Prodigy P3 for about $150 to your door. The best of the best is the Max Brake. It fully proportional and pressure drive. Its in the $300 range and need no adjusting once installed.

Chris

/ Brake controller ?
Responses...and you included price!!

Thanks for that tidbit of info. The mid-range one may do what I want, but I had no idea what the differences were between them. How does the Prodigy P3 work to make it better than the low end and worse than the high end?
I do like the non-adjusting" part of the higher $ one, though, as I am a sucker for things to be automatic and/or easy!!

A couple of years ago, I priced a trailer with brakes and the guy was going to set me up with a controller for about $200 more so I was figuring it to be in that price range.

If I get one from the trailer dealer, what name brand(other than what has been mentioned) should I look for in the Brake controller?

Thanks,
Rod

/ Brake controller ? #5  
I am going to install a Max Brake Controller in the near future... I've ha a "parts store cheapo" in my truck for about 2 years... Every once awhile I get some pucker factor from it not deciding to work until the last minute..... that always sucks when you have 20K on the GN hitch!!!

/ Brake controller ? #6  
I purchased a Tekonsha Prodigy 2 along with the correct adapter for my Ford F150. It plugged in and worked without my doing anything. I've been very pleased with it. Controller and wiring was around $120 shipped.

/ Brake controller ? #7  
Prodigys are very good controllers, had them on all of my contractor dumps

/ Brake controller ?
Just by doing a quick search on ebay(yeah, I know), it looks like I can get a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 for as low as $125.

Would I be going wrong with that?

If it is recommended here, anyone know of a better price?

If the Prodigy P3 is pretty good or at least good enough, I cant see putting $300 in a Max Brake for the low amount of time/miles that I pull a trailer.

Rod

/ Brake controller ? #9  
Just by doing a quick search on ebay(yeah, I know), it looks like I can get a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 for as low as $125.

Would I be going wrong with that?

If it is recommended here, anyone know of a better price?

If the Prodigy P3 is pretty good or at least good enough, I cant see putting $300 in a Max Brake for the low amount of time/miles that I pull a trailer.

Rod

That is the price point I get them out. Its a good controller for the money. You can not get a better controller in my opinion till you get above the $200 price point.

Check with R&P Carriages. They have good prices, good people, and quick service. Many times I order in the morning and have it by Noon the next day via UPS or even plain old postal service.

R and P Carriages Trailer Sales, Service, Parts and Rentals

Chris

/ Brake controller ? #10  
I am thinking of buying a new tandem trailer, and since brakes are required (and because I really need them), I want to know what name brand and/or model brake controller to get. I hope to get a Big Tex or PJ 16' trailer with ramps, but I havent talked with anyone yet.

My truck is a 2006 Toyota Tundra DC with only 7,000 lb tow capacity. (Probably my biggest reason to go with a 7k lb trailer!)

I currently haul a JD 850, usually with no implement but sometimes with a RFM, disc, or box blade. I am eyeing a tractor like a Kubota L3800 with FEL, but I dont know if that will happen b4 I am too old to need a tractor.lol

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Rod

Tekonsha probably makes the most reliable that i have found.