Lets see your rack.

/ Lets see your rack. #1  

davygp38

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400
I just bought a 2007 Chevy Chassis cab, and I am putting on a 9 foot Redding flat bed gooseneck hauler. I priced out the racks that are made for this bed, $2700.00:(. Needless to say I will make my own. I would appreciate it if any one could post pictures of the racks they have for their stake pocket truck or trailer. I am looking for Ideas, and anything posted will help.

/ Lets see your rack.
I thought that you were going for a dump?
Thats what I want. I am getting the flat bed, with the Gooseneck hitch first. Then I will take the truck to the insurance man for pictures and a quote. Then after a little time goes by...The dump truck fairy will stop by my truck and voilà a dump truck. All kidding aside, I live in the Peoples republic of New York. It is much cheaper for me to have the truck listed as a flat bed, for insurance. I spoke to the people at Robert Green truck center, and I explained the situation, and they told me that anytime I am ready to put the bed lift in, it will be no problem. It also saved me almost $3000 off my loan. This way I can pay cash for the lift when I scrape it up, and I get to stick it to the man. P.S. it is the same reason I registered my trailer, in the great state of Maine LOL. I'll be up in Maine on the fourth of July weekend to drop my daughter off at Camp Jordan in Bangor. Got a recommendation for dinner in Bangor?

Last edited:
   / Lets see your rack. #4  
I just bought a 2007 Chevy Chassis cab, and I am putting on a 9 foot Redding flat bed gooseneck hauler. I priced out the racks that are made for this bed, $2700.00:(. Needless to say I will make my own. I would appreciate it if any one could post pictures of the racks they have for their stake pocket truck or trailer. I am looking for Ideas, and anything posted will help.

Are you talking about a headache rack?

I do not have a specific picture of mine, but you can get a sense of it in this pic:

DSC00123Medium.jpg

The back rack portion is sitting in the front right now, but when I need it (to haul canoes, etc) I just move it to the back pockets.

I

/ Lets see your rack. #6  

Here's the headache rack on my 2004 Isuzu NPR/EFI stakebed

DSCF0085 (SMALL)_crop.jpg

/ Lets see your rack. #7  
Davy, here's some pics of what I built.
I ended up making the bed because it seems that all of the "store bought" dumpers have an extra riser or long sill to make installation easy for the body guy. (the hinge assy. is all done) I did not want the extra bed height. For the racks (sideboards) I had some 18" wide micro lams around for the side boards that I bolted to some alum chanel. On reasonably level ground I can leave the sides on while towing the GN, but it (the gussets on the trl. neck) will sometimes hit the sideboards so I usually take the back ones off when towing. My hitch is only a few inches too high to leave the cover in place with the ball up. With a little more planning on my part I could have used a ridgid mount ball.
Two things to check out on your truck are 1, when adding the hoist later, are the long sills on your bed suitable for directly mounting the hoist? I believe that most platform (stake) beds are built with a lighter long sill as they are (basically) only a spacer between the trk frame and the bed and are not built for the twisting that a dump bed will see. 2, Will the bed height change much when adding the hoist. (for ball height considerations). Just a few things that I thought about having been there. FWIT, if your truck's drivetrain allows, go with a PTO pump for your hoist, you'll never regret it!

Attachments

• Messin round 030.jpg
    Messin round 030.jpg
    887.2 KB · Views: 159
  • Messin round 033.jpg
    Messin round 033.jpg
    816.7 KB · Views: 158
  • Messin round 040.jpg
    Messin round 040.jpg
    720.5 KB · Views: 141
  • Messin round 044.jpg
    Messin round 044.jpg
    807.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Messin round 021.jpg
    Messin round 021.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 137
  • Messin round 025.jpg
    Messin round 025.jpg
    697.8 KB · Views: 162
   / Lets see your rack.
Davy, here's some pics of what I built.
I ended up making the bed because it seems that all of the "store bought" dumpers have an extra riser or long sill to make installation easy for the body guy. (the hinge assy. is all done) I did not want the extra bed height. For the racks (sideboards) I had some 18" wide micro lams around for the side boards that I bolted to some alum chanel. On reasonably level ground I can leave the sides on while towing the GN, but it (the gussets on the trl. neck) will sometimes hit the sideboards so I usually take the back ones off when towing. My hitch is only a few inches too high to leave the cover in place with the ball up. With a little more planning on my part I could have used a ridgid mount ball.
Two things to check out on your truck are 1, when adding the hoist later, are the long sills on your bed suitable for directly mounting the hoist? I believe that most platform (stake) beds are built with a lighter long sill as they are (basically) only a spacer between the trk frame and the bed and are not built for the twisting that a dump bed will see. 2, Will the bed height change much when adding the hoist. (for ball height considerations). Just a few things that I thought about having been there. FWIT, if your truck's drivetrain allows, go with a PTO pump for your hoist, you'll never regret it!
Yes, thats what I was looking for, side racks for the stake pockets. The truck came with the pto pump, so I am ready to go. the owner of the truck center said it would not be a problem later on to put a hoist in, but one of the guys working there said that with the racking of the body when it dumps I might have trouble opening, and closing the trap door for the hitch ball.

/ Lets see your rack. #9  
Are you talking about a headache rack?

I do not have a specific picture of mine, but you can get a sense of it in this pic:

DSC00123Medium.jpg

The back rack portion is sitting in the front right now, but when I need it (to haul canoes, etc) I just move it to the back pockets.

I

Looks like you need a highlift jack for that truck.