Transporting a 15k tractor

/ Transporting a 15k tractor #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
Hey guys,
I have a John Deere 410b that I will need to bring from central MA to the lakes region of NH. It's 120 miles one way and I'm curious how do I have the backhoe transported? I'm sure I can just call a trucking company but is this something that a light dump truck would be able to haul? I'm trying to find a way to transport it fairly cheaply because I will be doing it probably 4 or 5 times through next spring, summer, fall, and maybe once this fall as well.

Any ideas on a rough cost estimate for something like this?
Also the specs say 14,400lbs for the weight. Does that include the loader and backhoe? I assume it does but it just seems like it's a lot heavier than that. I don't know anything about heavy equipment so I'm sure you guys can confirm for me, but my lack of knowledge makes me skeptical and I want to know the correct weight before asking someone to haul it.
Here is a spec sheet I found online for it....
John Deere410BLoader Backhoe

/ Transporting a 15k tractor #2  
That weight is right. My buddy has a Case 560 and its about 14,000# also. I checked a few sites and they show the weight right at 14,500# for your machine.

For what it may cost to move it I bet you could rent one there. Its going to take a 1 ton diesel truck and a 20,000# trailer minimum. Trailer will be 6,000# or so empty which will leave 14,000# approximately for the payload. I would guess you are going to be $3 per mile or so. A small dump truck will do the job also but to move it that far with one will kill your pocket book. They drink fuel. Not bad around town but not meant for a road trip.

I would look at renting one or just having a contractor doing the work. The only way it would be economical is to take it once and leave it, not back and forth 4-5 times like you want.

Chris

/ Transporting a 15k tractor #3  
I have a 410B. Yes, the weight you list is accurate for the whole machine. The turbo option adds more weight, since the rear tires and bucket are bigger. 4wd adds about 400-500 lbs. I think the cheapest and safest option of moving it is to hire out a lowboy. Still going to be $300-$500 I'd guess. Like Diamondpilot said, move it once or rent. Lots of contractors looking for work. A local might not charge as much as you think.

/ Transporting a 15k tractor #4  
My contractor has a 410C and hauls it like this:

DSCF0013 (Small).JPGDSCF0014 (Small).JPGDSCF0015 (Small).JPG

The triple axle flatbed may be overkill, don't know.
You won't break any speed records with a dump truck like this one and it's probably a gas hog.

Good luck

/ Transporting a 15k tractor #5  
Flusher, that trailer looks like a 9 ton. Hardly overkill. It's so short neither bucket can touch the deck. Not meaning to sound like a d--k, it might be fine around town. Really not suitable to cross state lines.

/ Transporting a 15k tractor #6  
Flusher, that trailer looks like a 9 ton. Hardly overkill. It's so short neither bucket can touch the deck. Not meaning to sound like a d--k, it might be fine around town. Really not suitable to cross state lines.

Yep, you're right--that rig is for in-town and backroad travel, not for the interstate.

/ Transporting a 15k tractor #7  
When I bought my case 580k a friend said he could move it for me. He showed up with a F250 with a gooseneck trailer. I was a little cautious but between him and several other people keep saying it would be fine. Well when i drove it up the ramps (the legs didn't touch the ground) I lifted his rear axle off the ground. At that point I could see he was no longer as confidant.

He still thought it would be fine so we tried it. He didn't want me to position the tractor as far forward as I wanted and because of that each bump he hit it would make a funny rattling sound. My plan was to drive it down the road a couple of miles to a park and ride where a semi with a lowboy could easily turn around. That's as far as we made it (the plan was to got that far and stop there anyway).

That was 7 years ago and I paid $65 an hour. For your trip I would expect it to be 6 hours. But renting will not be cheap either unless the rental place is close and doesn't charge for delivery and pick up. I ended up buying a triaxle trailer that's rated for 22k. The trailer weighs about 4500lbs. I pull it with my 2 1/2 ton dump without a problem. I think a 1 ton may be enough but it would be a workout.

/ Transporting a 15k tractor
I do have a 1 ton diesel truck, but there is no way I would tow that backhoe behind it!

/ Transporting a 15k tractor #9  
Even when a large 6 wheel truck pulls a backhoe, it is still really wise to place blocks under the stands of the ramps. That will prevent the rear truck tires from lifting up...I found out the hard way...rolled the whole thing down a hill and crashed into my other truck. That left me with 2 trucks, about $20,000 damage done between them. Now I block the ramps and chock the wheels.

/ Transporting a 15k tractor #10  
The fuel alone would equal the rental of a local machine and operator.

fwiw, we use(d) an F550 with a 10t gooseneck to pull a similar load. That was within 2K of the trucks limit. It was replaced by a IH4400 and a 20t pintle.