MaxBrake Trailer brake controller

/ MaxBrake Trailer brake controller #1  

Chris611

Well, after reading on here, I purchased the MaxBrake Trailer brake controller. I used it last weekend pulling a gooseneck with my pulling truck on it. The trailer and truck come to about 13k lbs. I would have to say that the MaxBrake controller worked flawlessly. I was amazed at how smooth it was. I have had about 5 different "traditional" brake controllers over the years and they all worked about the same. There was either too much brake or not enough. The bumps on the road if you were activly braking would cause the trailer brakes to lock and unlock.

The installation was very easy. Took about 5 minutes to add the tee in the hydraulic line and bleed the line. Of the 5 minutes, it took about 2 to get the wife to put her shoes on and come out to operate the brake pedal to bleed the fitting and new brake line...:)

The wife usually drives on the way home from the pulls and she gave it the big thumbs up. She hated the old controllers because they would brake erratic. The new one is really seemless.

Here's the only bad... I paid almost $350 for a brake controller and the controller itself is probably the ugliest controller I have seen. I mean, really... If you look at a $60 Hoppy controller in the farm store, they have a better looking controller than this thing. MaxBrake needs to step it up when it comes to the look of the controller. They paid for the tooling to have the case molded. It doesn't cost much more to have it look good vs. the shape it is.

Otherwise this controller works great. It really depends on the amount of towing you do if the $$ is worth it. I tow every weekend from June through August/September so the cost was worth it.

Also got a discount at Southwest wheel by using the tractorbynet coupon code.

Later
Chris

/ MaxBrake Trailer brake controller #2  
Glad you like it. Seems like that is the identical response I get from everyone I have heard of with one. I have installed 2 in customers trucks and they have been very happy also. They do work smoooooooth though.:D

You are the first one to complain of the looks though. Never really though of it.

Chris

/ MaxBrake Trailer brake controller #3  
Glad you like it. Seems like that is the identical response I get from everyone I have heard of with one. I have installed 2 in customers trucks and they have been very happy also. They do work smoooooooth though.:D

You are the first one to complain of the looks though. Never really though of it.

Chris

Finally got to pull with my GM OEM controller.. What a difference compared to the aftermarket. I had to double check that it was actually working to to the proportionate braking action, no brake shock at all unless you want to force it....

Love it.

/ MaxBrake Trailer brake controller #4  
Finally got to pull with my GM OEM controller.. What a difference compared to the aftermarket. I had to double check that it was actually working to to the proportionate braking action, no brake shock at all unless you want to force it....

Love it.

Glad to hear it works good. I only know one guy with a GM and the factory controller. He bought a small 5th wheel, really small. Only 7,500# GVWR and he has a 2500 gas. Anyway, he had never pulled a trialer before with brakes so he had nothing to compare it to.

I have tons of experience with the Ford Controller and its hands down the best I have used. Glad to hear from someone with experience that the GM works well also.

How do you like where its mounted? My buddies truck seems weird being down by the drivers door. 99% of aftermarket controllers are mounted by your right knee and the Ford one is up by the radio in plain sight.

Anyway, to keep on subject. For those who do not know the MaxBrake, Ford Factory and GM Factory are all pressure driven controllers getting a signal from the master cylinder via a pressure switch. Fully proportional and smooth as silk compared to any aftermarket controllers.
Chris

/ MaxBrake Trailer brake controller #5  
Chris, the position of the controller doesn't bother me at all. The over all control is thrugh the DIC, once all is good, so it's no big deal. Panic stops might take some practice as that's the only time the contoller itself need touched beyond initial set up.

Better than having it mounted down by the floor vent where all of my previous aftermarket ones were. Didn't want to blow holes in obvious places on the face of the dash.

Like how it tells you that all is good when it's hooked up.

The 6.2 pulls great by the way. Only had around 6,000# on it, but barely knew it was back there....The 5.3 did fine, but this massive improvement...SHMBO has me looking at travel trailers now....Not good.:mad:

Last edited:
   / MaxBrake Trailer brake controller #6  
The 6.2 pulls great by the way. Only had around 6,000# on it, but barely knew it was back there....The 5.3 did fine, but this massive improvement...SHMBO has me looking at travel trailers now....Not good.:mad:

Glad you have the controller and it works good.

How is the tranny behind the 6.2L? I have never driven one but I have a few buddies with them and they are towing in the 9K range and they claim the prefer the 6.0L/tranny combo. They said the new ones hunt for gears more.

That may just be a simple fact that there are more gears in the tranny so it does not have to hold a gear as long and can shift to get back in the power band.

Chris

/ MaxBrake Trailer brake controller #7  
Glad you have the controller and it works good.

How is the tranny behind the 6.2L? I have never driven one but I have a few buddies with them and they are towing in the 9K range and they claim the prefer the 6.0L/tranny combo. They said the new ones hunt for gears more.

That may just be a simple fact that there are more gears in the tranny so it does not have to hold a gear as long and can shift to get back in the power band.

Chris

Didin't seem to hunt much..A 4 speed with t/h I'm sure stayed in the same gear longer.