Proper strength of Electric Trailer Brakes

/ Proper strength of Electric Trailer Brakes #1  

RMulkey

Silver Member
Tractor
1999 Kubota L4310 HST 4WD, R4 Tires, Folding ROPS, Kubota Canopy
I have a question about how strong should electric trailer brakes be?? I have a 21' 10,000 GVW Hydraulic Tilt Flat bed trailer with 2ea 6000Lb Electric Brake Dexter Axels and have noticed that with the trailer fully loaded with a combinded weight of ~9500lbs, I cannot lock up the trailer brakes at all. I have a Thkonsha Prodigy proportional brake controller. During the initial calibration after loading the trailer, the the controller recomeds that you run the rig at 25MPH and manually adjust the power level until just before the tires lock up. What I have noticed is that with the trailer fully loaded, I cannot get the brakes to lock up when manually actuating the brake controller. Is this normal or should I be able to lock up the brakes? The brakes work fine and I can lock them up manually if the trailer is less that 75% loaded.
Thanks,
-Roger

/ Proper strength of Electric Trailer Brakes #2  
Anything less than airbrakes on a trailer and I can't get them to lock up when loaded.
I would go w/ what u have.
I wouldn't want to have to worry about brakes locking up on a
small trailer, it might come around on u /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Proper strength of Electric Trailer Brakes #3  
My trailer has the same weight rating and axles. When empty the tires lock up real easy. Loaded they don't lock up. Always changing the controller for trailer loading.

Egon

/ Proper strength of Electric Trailer Brakes #4  
I forget what controller I have but it has a swing pendulum on it. I sure love it because it does re-act the best to quick slow downs versus normal slow downs. It also has an adjustment on it for empty loads versus heavy loads. It is just a dial and that allows me to adjust to the load that is on the trailer. I use this for a enclosed trailer and a open trailer. Both have twin axles on them. When fully loaded I can't loc-them up but I sure can feel it pull me back.

Murph

/ Proper strength of Electric Trailer Brakes #5  
Nothing unusual about your situation, Roger, but I don't have a good answer. I prefer brakes strong enough that I could lock them up if I wished, although of course, you really hope you don't have to lock them up and skid. Fourteen years ago, I bought a CarriLite 5th wheel trailer that came with two 3500 pound axles and 10" brakes. However, I fully equipped it with generator, washer/dryer, A/C, TV/VCR, stereo, etc. and we lived in it full time. So I found that I was normally running 7,300 pounds on the axles and about 2500 on the pin; could not lock up the brakes, although they were generally adequate. So . . ., for reasons other than the brakes (springs, tires, wheels, shocks, etc.), I went to the Dexter factory in Elkhart and had everything from the frame down replaced including 5,200 pound axles and 12" brakes. Then I could very easily lock up the brakes and had to back off the adjustment on the controller. In other words, there are fairly easy solutions if you're running a pretty consistent weight, but in cases like yours where the weight changes, it ain't so simple.

/ Proper strength of Electric Trailer Brakes #6  
How will a trailer with locked brakes come around on you?

If the tow vehicle was slowing faster than the trailer?

Seems the "locking" was for determining the adjustment point for setting the brakes, and wasn't a desirable condition. I would suspect the brakes need to be checked to see if they have worn out or have a broken part. With that load, I would want to know that putting the trailer brakes on would stop the rig, just in case. I like that security when towing a trailer.

/ Proper strength of Electric Trailer Brakes #7  
I have a 24 foot goose neck with a pair of 7000 pound axles. Noticed that I couldn't lock up the brakes. This was after about 5000 miles. I adjusted all 4 and now they lock up fine. Check your brake adjustments.

/ Proper strength of Electric Trailer Brakes
Thanks all for the information. The brakes sound like they work like they are designed to. I am very happy with the overall braking performance especially since converting to the Prodigy brake controller. The stops are smooth and very predictable.

FYI// I would have never known about the new electronic inertial controller if I had not bought a new truck (2003 Chevy 3500 LT Dually with Duramax/Allison). If you know anybody still using a time delay, voltage ramp controller, I genuenly feel sorry for them....

Thanks again for the help,
-roger

/ Proper strength of Electric Trailer Brakes #9  
I have the same controller as you. I can lock up my horse trailer, 40' 13,000 lbs. with horse, and I can lock up my flatbed, 36' x 8' with a 15,000 lb. load of hay. I think you need to adjust your brakes on your trailer.

/ Proper strength of Electric Trailer Brakes #10  
If your trailer wheels aren't rolling the trailer can go where
ever it wants.
Usually w/ crown on roads they will slide to the right side.
I drove semi lots and an empty trailer in a panic stop comes
around.
A rolling tire has friction but once it locks up or is spinning
from over power u lose friction so it can wonder.
So if the tow vehicle isn't sliding it is stopping faster than
the trailer w/ sliding wheels.