How to obtain wide load permits for interstate towing?

/ How to obtain wide load permits for interstate towing? #1  

General Lee

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, L4400, BX1870
Have a buddy that will be towing a boat a little over 10 feet wide up the east coast. I believe that width requires a wide load permit. How does one obtain these permits. Does each state have to be contacted to request a permit for the route being traveled?

/ How to obtain wide load permits for interstate towing? #2  
Yes, anything over 8'6" requires a permit. I get mine in Indiana to tow a nearly 13' wide boat over the phone. Its about a $50 fee and you must have flags, wide load sign, and chase vehicle. May very state to state. They always fax mine to me.

They will need info on the trailer, truck, driver, ect. Things like width, weight, length, DL#, insurance, route, VIN #'s, License Plate Info, ect.

http://www.in.gov/dor/files/m204.pdf

There are companies out there that will plan a route and obtain all the permits for the trip. You pay a premium but it may help. A google search of wide load permits will come up with what he needs.

Chris

/ How to obtain wide load permits for interstate towing? #3  
just come to idaho...they give them to anybody. There getting ready to shut down all lanes of I95 here to haul a megaload 240 foot long, 23 foot wide monster load some time soon...i think its in the 450,000# range. Sure, let them wreck our roads, and then bill us to repair them. no problem. This stuff came from Korea and headed into Canada.

/ How to obtain wide load permits for interstate towing? #4  
every state is different.
Start with YOUR state's DOT and go from there, most of the information is probably online.