Trailer for JD 5083e

/ Trailer for JD 5083e #21  
Downslope, don't forget you pick up some weight on a bp with the weight of the tongue on the truck, and you can pick up quite a bit more with a gooseneck, If I registered my rig at the max 14.5K + 9990 for the truck that give me about 24990 drop the weight of the empty truck ~7200 and the weight of the trailer ~5400 11980 of capacity, and thats if everything is perfectly loaded. I won't get into axle loadings or wheel capacities but that gives you an idea of where Im at.

/ Trailer for JD 5083e #22  
DO NOT ATTEMPT WITH A BUMPER PULL WITHOUT A W/D HITCH!!! Even that might be mildly crazy, I don't know if I have ever seen a BP trailer for more than 12k lbs unless it was a pintle hitch behind a tandem towing a backhoe or dozer.

I have many boat trailers that are 18,000# on the boat lot. Each with 3 6,000# axles and we have a few that are 21,000# with 3 7,000# axles. All BP. GN would never work on a steep boat ramp. The brake over would put the GN into the bed rails. No issue pulling any of them with my F-350 SRW Powerstroke with 11,500# GVWR. WD Hitch will not work with a boat trailer either.

Chris

/ Trailer for JD 5083e #23  
Diamondpilot Re: Trailer for JD 5083e

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeckRacin

DO NOT ATTEMPT WITH A BUMPER PULL WITHOUT A W/D HITCH!!! Even that might be mildly crazy, I don't know if I have ever seen a BP trailer for more than 12k lbs unless it was a pintle hitch behind a tandem towing a backhoe or dozer.

I have many boat trailers that are 18,000# on the boat lot. Each with 3 6,000# axles and we have a few that are 21,000# with 3 7,000# axles. All BP. GN would never work on a steep boat ramp. The brake over would put the GN into the bed rails. No issue pulling any of them with my F-350 SRW Powerstroke with 11,500# GVWR. WD Hitch will not work with a boat trailer either.

Chris

ok ok, a boat trailer is not an equipment trailer. Nor are are interchangeable for hauling a heavy tractor. I do give ya credit for being creative though!

/ Trailer for JD 5083e #24  
ok ok, a boat trailer is not an equipment trailer. Nor are are interchangeable for hauling a heavy tractor. I do give ya credit for being creative though!

Nothing creative about it. Have owned GN trailers and personally do not like them. I have pulled upto 25,000# with BP trailers and do not see a issue with a proper truck and more importantly when pulling any trailer, a proper driver.

Chris

/ Trailer for JD 5083e #25  
Nothing creative about it. Have owned GN trailers and personally do not like them. I have pulled upto 25,000# with BP trailers and do not see a issue with a proper truck and more importantly when pulling any trailer, a proper driver.

Chris
I assume the 25,000# trailer you mention is a boat trailer. Is weight distributed differently for a boat trailer vs. an equipment trailer because of the long tongue? A 25,000 lb trailer at 10% tongue weight would have 2,500# on the ball and would be way beyond the rating of any Reese, Curt or oem factory pickup truck hitch for both gross towed weight and tongue weight. Or by proper truck do you mean a medium duty dump truck or 450/4500 type with a welded on pintle like Red Neck Racin mentioned?

I don't know much about heavy boat trailers , but I think if you're deducing from your boat trailer experience that it's OK to tow a 25K bumper pull equipment trailer with a SRW 350 or 3500 and no weight distribution using an off-the-shelf hitch, it would be unwise and possibly very dangerous, regardless of the skills level of the driver.

Last edited:
   / Trailer for JD 5083e #26  
I assume the 25,000# trailer you mention is a boat trailer. Is weight distributed differently for a boat trailer vs. an equipment trailer because of the long tongue? A 25,000 lb trailer at 10% tongue weight would have 2,500# on the ball and would be way beyond the rating of any Reese, Curt or oem factory pickup truck hitch for both gross towed weight and tongue weight. Or by proper truck do you mean a medium duty dump truck or 450/4500 type with a welded on pintle like Red Neck Racin mentioned?

I don't know much about heavy boat trailers , but I think if you're deducing from your boat trailer experience that it's OK to tow a 25K bumper pull equipment trailer with a SRW 350 or 3500 and no weight distribution using an off-the-shelf hitch, it would be unwise and possibly very dangerous, regardless of the skills level of the driver.
That might be a prime example of the "tail wagging the dog".:laughing:

/ Trailer for JD 5083e #27  
Yes, they are boat trailers but also a dual tandem pintel equipment trailer with a Case BH on it. I am guessing that load was around 21,000# My 18,000# boat trailer has about 1,600# of tongue weight. My uncles 21,000# boat trailer has less and does not pull as well. I will run down the highway on 400 mile trips at 70-75mph with the 18,000# trailer, hauling a 15,600# boat all day long with comfort behind my F-350.

As for the hitch I have Titan and Ford 2.5" hitches. I have broken a factory 2" hitch.

Chris