Trailer for JD 5083e

/ Trailer for JD 5083e #1  

Legacy1

Tractor
Jd 5083e
Hello All,

I have a JD 5083e with 553 FEL on order. Now I have to figure out a way to get it home:laughing:

From my research the tractor with cab weighs 7000lb, the loader maybe 1500lb?

I am looking at a 20ft Kaufman equipment trailer. Bumper pull 14,000 GVWR / 20 ft. Wood Deck weighing in at 3000lb giving me 11k of payload.

The tow vehicle is a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500hd classic with Duramax Allison. Due for a new truck soon, going to go with a SRW 350, 3500.

Mind you this is in rural Kansas and I will only see one stop sign on the way back from the dealer.

Do you think the length will be ok? Any other foreseeable issues?

/ Trailer for JD 5083e
Tires are not ballasted, we will use a round bale with a spike if we need the weight.

The only thing I can find for the 553 loader is the bucket weight of 392lbs.

Im assuming thats the bucket only, and no other bracketry?

Worst case scenario, Im looking at 9500lbs of tractor and loader?

/ Trailer for JD 5083e #4  
Your tractor is just a little bigger than our M7040 so I am thinking the loader will weigh about the same. Our loader weighs ~1500 pounds plus the bucket which is ~400 pounds so I would guess you are looking at 1900 to 2000 pounds for the loader and bucket. So your tractor should be right about 9500 pounds.

That trailer sounds like it should work fine. 20' should be long enough for just the tractor and loader. I am guessing that you will want to back the tractor on to the trailer to get the proper weight distribution but you will have to see when you load it.

Your truck should be fine, just make sure the hitch is rated for that much weight. I think the factory hitches are only rated for 7500 pounds without a weigh distributing hitch.

I don't think you will have any problems. That is a nice tractor you are getting:thumbsup:

Ed

/ Trailer for JD 5083e
Thanks for the input Ed!

We were real close to going with the Kubota, but with Deere's financing and the proximity of the dealer it just made sense.

As long as this trailer can get me by delivering it home I will be happy.

Im sure once we get the mx8 mower we will need a longer trailer, at that point I will get a gooseneck.

/ Trailer for JD 5083e #6  
I needed the weight of the 553 loader, so I talked to the service department of my dealer - took them awhile, but finally found it at about 1500# with no bucket. It's not in the owner's manual like they expected it to be. Also couldn't find it in their service manuals. I think they got it off the shipping invoice.

/ Trailer for JD 5083e #7  
Get a bigger trailer now, not later. As for a truck you will be fine but the GM factory hitch is not up to the task. Get a 2.5" Reese Titan or similar rested at 15,000#

Chris

/ Trailer for JD 5083e
I needed the weight of the 553 loader, so I talked to the service department of my dealer - took them awhile, but finally found it at about 1500# with no bucket. It's not in the owner's manual like they expected it to be. Also couldn't find it in their service manuals. I think they got it off the shipping invoice.

Thanks for the factual information, I scoured all the manuals and specs and couldnt find a thing. Im sure this info will help out others as well.

Get a bigger trailer now, not later. As for a truck you will be fine but the GM factory hitch is not up to the task. Get a 2.5" Reese Titan or similar rested at 15,000#

Chris

If I went with a 24ft, I would probably be looking at gooseneck territory? At that point I could leave the mower on.

Kaufman does have a nice looking 24ft 17GVWR that would probably fit the bill.

I agree, GM could have spent a few more $$$$ and actually put some steel in the hitch.

Thanks again everyone:D

/ Trailer for JD 5083e #10  
Look at Curt 2.5" hitches. They're almost a direct replacment for the stock hitch and rated to 18k. That's the first thing I did when I got my Dmax.

Matt