SAE Tow Ratings

/ SAE Tow Ratings #1  

Chef Pa

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3010 4300
Looking forward to progression of the SAE tow implementation. First link is a more current general article, second is older, but gives more details on the rating system. I like the idea of having to rate with a fixed grade and minimum temperature of 100 degrees with the A/C on high. Had also heard some manufacturers may do this for the 2012 model year. Should be interesting.

Mark Phelan: Truck makers agree to toe the line on new towing standards | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Tow Ratings Finally Pass the Sniff Test - The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) - Automobile Magazine

/ SAE Tow Ratings #2  
It is WAY overdue and I applaud the SAE for their efforts.

I would have prefered that they had broken the standards into Five sub-classes that corispond with the tradtional hitch class system and to standardize the towing limits in writing for each class.

In that way every buyer could be assured that if the manufacturer states something like "Vehicle is equipped with tow package that complies with SAE J2807 - Class III requirements."

For the really big trailers, you could say "....Class V+ requirements and is suitable for Gooseneck and 5th Wheel hitch applications."

I would additionally have prefered that SAE REQUIRE an integrated trailer brake control system for all vehicles certified for trailers 3500# and greater.

But any standard is better than the wild west we have now.

This will also give the manufacturers another way to deny warranty coverage for vehicles used not as intended. If you do not have a trailer package on a vehicle that suffers a driveline failure that is likely to be related to towing (overheating, trans failure etc) the manufacturer will surely know this and pay a lot more attention to you.

Thanks for posting this useful information!!!!!

/ SAE Tow Ratings #3  
It will be fun to watch Ford's over-inflated tow ratings drop like rock. :D

/ SAE Tow Ratings #4  
It will be fun to watch Ford's over-inflated tow ratings drop like rock. :D

Not. The new trucks, 2011's are supposed to make the numbers but that is not a fact, just rumor.

Toyota is the only manufacture that has meet all the requirements for 2011 and they lost only 200# or so across the board with no modifications. The biggest issue will be tranny cooling and brakes, especially the parking brake.

All manufactures, FORD, DODGE, TOYOTA, GM, and NISSAN can overcome this easily if wanted with bigger coolers/sumps, and larger brakes.

It will not be a issue for anyone willing to make the truck better and thats where Ford leads the pack.

Chris

Last edited:
   / SAE Tow Ratings
Pretty sure all the majors have engineers on the SAE committee. Regardless of past performance it should help put them all on the same page.

Same dealer I bought my last truck from has an '11 F350 with the new diesel/6spd on display at the local fair starting today. I was drooling over it last night, wondering if they've decided to start dealing on the 11 models. Maybe even some pressure to make sales at the fair? Anyway I plan to talk to them. No plans on trading unless it's a fantastic deal, because new model years make me nervous. Anyway, will ask what they know about Ford's SAE plan and see what they have to say.

/ SAE Tow Ratings
Fyi local Ford dealer has no idea on when SAE ratings will be published by Ford. Says they aren't really in the know and get most info last minute, and it will probably be on the website/vehicle stickers before they know. For what that's worth.

Also, no dealing on the '11 250+ yet, at least in my opinion. You can get x plan etc but not much more than that.

/ SAE Tow Ratings #7  
Dealers don't know chit, as a rule. If it isn't in their lot or coming next week, they have not heard of it. Car dealers and their staff are an odd lot, IMHO. There doesn't seem to be a business group that cares less about really knowing their product than these folks. There are exceptions, but they are rare. If you find one, latch on!

/ SAE Tow Ratings #8  
Dealers don't know chit, as a rule. If it isn't in their lot or coming next week, they have not heard of it. Car dealers and their staff are an odd lot, IMHO. There doesn't seem to be a business group that cares less about really knowing their product than these folks. There are exceptions, but they are rare. If you find one, latch on!

I found a good one by looking in the fleet and lease department.

/ SAE Tow Ratings #10  
I could not agree more.