Need Trailer Advice

/ Need Trailer Advice #1  

logan97

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800 4/wd
I am considering a flat bed utility trailer purchase.Options are 10,000 or 12,000. I currently own a 7000 which is inadequate. What would be the legal limit for this truck. 2003 Dodge Ram Diesel.

/ Need Trailer Advice #2  
I am considering a flat bed utility trailer purchase.Options are 10,000 or 12,000. I currently own a 7000 which is inadequate. What would be the legal limit for this truck. 2003 Dodge Ram Diesel.

Not even close to enough info.

What cab?
What bed?
4x4 or not?
Manual or Auto?
What gear?
Bumper pull or GN?

Chris

/ Need Trailer Advice
4 DR Cab
4 x 4
8' bed
bumper pull
6 speed manual
not sure about the gearing

/ Need Trailer Advice #4  
12,000# BP with 3.73 gears and manual tranny.

13,000# BP with 4.10 gears and manual tranny.

12,850# BP with either 3.73 or 4.10 gears and a manual tranny and the 5.9L HO Motor.

This is according to my trailer guide which is not the bible by any means but is a very good guide for trailer dealers and is 98% accurate when checked against the manual that comes with the truck, so take it for what its worth.

Chris

/ Need Trailer Advice #5  
I would look st the specs of the trailers, as you need to factor in the weight of each one to what you can actually carry on it. You shouldn't put 10k on a 10k trailer. Did you also decide on length?

I a 10K with a 20Ft deck, about 25ft overal and with a CC longbed truck, it is a PITA in any parking lots or tight areas. When I built the trailer I hadn't come across the truck, other it would have been a gooseneck and longer.

The truck alone can be annoying, they seem to be shrinking lots, and I have to do 3 point turns.

/ Need Trailer Advice #7  
There should be a data plate inside the glovebox that lists the axle ratio code.

I also have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 2wd with an automatic and 3.73 axle ratio. My bumper pull utility trailer suspension is rated for 12k, but the most weight I've ever put on the trailer is about 7k. Since the trailer weighs about 2k empty that would be a total load of about 9k. The truck pulls it just fine.

The bigger problem is stopping the weight. Make sure if you will be routinely hauling 10-12k to have brakes on both axles and a good controller. I have a MaxBrake and I love it.

/ Need Trailer Advice #8  
looks like a 12k rated 18-120 bp trailer tandem axle with barkes will max out yer capabilities pretty good, and give you room to play. add a brake controller ( as cheap as 70$ with correct pigtail ) and you'd be good to go.

10k is too small of a jump when moving up from 7k.. etc.

soundguy

/ Need Trailer Advice #10  
3.73 gear ratio

Well with the 3.73 gears and the info I gave you you can either tow 12,000# with the standard Cummins or 12,850# with the HO motor.

Chris