Need Hauler For Compact Tractor Mass to NYS

/ Need Hauler For Compact Tractor Mass to NYS #1  

gurumanjohn

Tractor
JD 650
Looking for a hauler to move JD 650 (about 1900 lbs w/loader) from Norton Mass to Chatham NY (130 miles). Any suggestions? UShip. com truckers asking a fortune for a simple move.

/ Need Hauler For Compact Tractor Mass to NYS #2  
what do you consider a "fortune" to be?

/ Need Hauler For Compact Tractor Mass to NYS
One bid was $602 and the other was $435. It's only a 2 1/2 hour drive.

/ Need Hauler For Compact Tractor Mass to NYS #4  
I live near Albany, NY and just checked driving time via Mapquest. Based on what I saw, I'd charge $395 for that run to cover what I normally make using my pickup and trailer. The prices that you're getting might not be that out of line.

/ Need Hauler For Compact Tractor Mass to NYS #5  
At $3.00 per mile, it would be $390
At $3.50 per mile, it would be $455
These are popular hauling prices for that weight range around here.
If you look at it a different way, 8 mpg would cost $130 (have to drive back, too). Add to that the cost of time, insurance, wear and tear on vehicle, etc., and it rapidly gets to the same price range. I'd say the quotes are in the ball park.

/ Need Hauler For Compact Tractor Mass to NYS #6  
Yep, that is the going rate. You may call a wrecker company to see if they have a Roll Back that could do it. My Co-Pilots son had a guy take him 4 hours each way to get a car cheaper than I would do it with my truck and trailer. The did it on a Sunday evening, the slowest time of the week for them.

Chris

/ Need Hauler For Compact Tractor Mass to NYS #7  
If you are near Buffalo try Lake Erie Towing or Hauling Freight Lines

/ Need Hauler For Compact Tractor Mass to NYS
I live near Albany, NY and just checked driving time via Mapquest. Based on what I saw, I'd charge $395 for that run to cover what I normally make using my pickup and trailer. The prices that you're getting might not be that out of line.

Ray - Thanks for the info. However the reason I'm annoyed is that UShip has an estimation capability before you list. And when I put in all the info about weight and distance, etc it gave me an estimate of $180 to $250. In addition, Uship is supposed to find haulers who are bundling shipments (two or more items) to keep prices low. Now that I've actually listed the shipment Uship suddenly estimates the trip at $900 and sends that estimate to potential shippers. That, to me, is a super scam and I plan to turn the sob's in to the State Attorney General. Had they been honest about what you guys charge in the first place, I might not have bought this particular tractor.

/ Need Hauler For Compact Tractor Mass to NYS #9  
Don't be fooled by uship's estimated rates. I just recently bought a 1000lb box blade in Texas and got it shopped to Mass. I posted a bid on uship and my estimated cost to ship was $3500 (yes 3500)
I got quotes of 1000, 850, and 650.
I didn't use either, I used freightcenter.com which was referred to me by a tbn member. It cost 450 after all was said and done. However my shipment was LTL (less than truckload) so I picked up a shipper cheap, basically piggy backing a truck that was already headed my way.
It took me over a month to get the blade though so I wouldnt use them if you needs something in a hurry.

Pm me if your interested in more info, also my father lives in central MA and may be interested in helping you with his own truck and trailer. Pm me if interested.

/ Need Hauler For Compact Tractor Mass to NYS #10  
gurumanjohn said:
One bid was $602 and the other was $435. It's only a 2 1/2 hour drive.

It's really a 5 hour drive if you count coming home.