looking to buy utility trailer

/ looking to buy utility trailer #1  

tadagio

never purchased a trailer like this before. Would be used to haul hay, the tractor to repair shop etc (champion MT285) and other farm related stuff that won't fit in the truck bed.
Found what seems to be a nice trailer "18' long with 2-3500lb axles with brakes. It was made by Mid-Atlantic". When I go to look what type of questions? I use my chevy 1/2 (heavy duty tow pkg) ton to pull my two horse tall/wide with no problems will it haul this? What is the going price on this type of trailer. Or any other advice would be well received
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
   / looking to buy utility trailer #2  
You're truck will pull it no problem, empty. Even if you max it out a 7,000#. You're truck will pull it. stopping it is another, more important question.
So maybe you should ask about the brakes, trailer brakes. First off does it have them? Are they on one axle or both? Are they electric or hydraulic? Hydraulic brakes are way more expensive. I'm guessing that this trailer will have electric and on one axle only.
Is that what you want?
What about the tires? Good trailer tires are expensive. If this trailer has 4 car tires rated at 750# each, you need to know that. Because if you think you can put 7,000# on this trailer and be safe well.......
The hitch: What kind of hitch do you want, for a trailer that size, a bulldog is probably the best, or the most desireable.
If this trailer has brakes and you want to use them and they are not hydraulic then you need to understand that you will have to have a controller. If your truck is not equipped then you will have to add one. if you do it your self, plan on 150$, maybe more.
It's hard to say what this trailer is worth based on what you've mentioned. A few years back I purchased an 18' with (2) 5,000# axels with electric brakes on all 4 wheels, bulldog hitch, good tires, new for 3k.
It is 81" wide, wide enough to put a car or p/u truck on. and it has 2 1/2" pipe rails all the way around 3 sides 16" high, with a spare tire and spare mount, and of couse a color coordinated jack by the hitch.

Oh yes it's got ramps that store underneath, very convienent,

Last edited:
   / looking to buy utility trailer
truck is already set up and pulling a horse trailer so I am good with brakes. Lots of good information thanks :thumbsup:

/ looking to buy utility trailer #4  
My neighbor bought a new Gator that sounds about the same for about 2 grand last year.

/ looking to buy utility trailer #5  
No doubt that the truck will pull it.
I don't know where you are located but trailer price will depend on your location. Here in the N.E. trailers cost more. A trailer that costs say$2500. in Ky could cost about $3200 here due to shipping costs to get it here. Dealers add that directly on top of their selling price. Generally if you live in a state where trailers are built they usually cost less.

You mentioned you are going to haul hay. Is a 7K trailer going to be up to the task?

/ looking to buy utility trailer #6  
Just remember that 7K is the total, that includes the weight of the trailer that is about 1,800# so your payload will be somewhere around 5,200# payload.

Chris

/ looking to buy utility trailer #7  
I bought a similar trailer for a little over 2k about 3 years ago.

/ looking to buy utility trailer
Thanks for all your information, it will certainly help in my decision

/ looking to buy utility trailer #9  
RobertBrown gave you some great advice. I want to add emphasis to the tire issue. Last week, my cousin called and asked me to go pick up his tractor, a NH 3010. He was hauling it on his 16' bumper pull trailer and blew out both tires on the right side. He verified that you can't get by with a 5000# tractor, loaded on a trailer that has 4 ply rated CAR TIRES, in 100+ degree temps.
Point is, you need to figure on 6PR TRAILER tires, at the very least. 8PR would be better.

/ looking to buy utility trailer #10  
Fellows don't get aggravated at what I'm saying. I have tossed this issue around for some time. One day I'm on one side the nest day I'm on the other. I will say I have always put trailer tires on my trailers. The fact that I had a blowout last evening on my trailer make this subject fresh on my mind. Also one that I will be dealing with as I have to replace a tire or 2. Can anyone on this forum say they get good wear (longevity and even tread wear) from a trailer tire? Neither I nor any of my friends can, we would accept our car tires to develop the wear patterns that show up on our trailers. My trailer hauls less than 2000 lbs about 3 times a month no more than 30 miles each time. And then for about 9 months a year. I have used it 6-8 other times to haul an automobile or tractor short distances of less than 30 miles. My tires are not worn out but have irregular wear to them. Just wanting to fill ya in. We talk about car tires or automobile tires. Gentlemen in this classification of tire we include pickup trucks tires also. Many of these PU's have a GVWR of near that 7000 lbs on those "car tires"? Before you fire back at me too hard remember last nights deal and I realize it could have happened with car tires also. I believe we are being sold swam land and bridges over dry land by the tire manufactures! Fire away!