1997 F350 price check

/ 1997 F350 price check #11  
Not that I'm biased (I have a 96 F250 powerstroke) but the old body style still seems to be in demand. I think that's one reason they pull a high resale.

/ 1997 F350 price check #12  
as allready asked is it on the origanal tranny? it is the weak link. ford did quit a few update's from the E4OD with the 4R100 but still the converter is weak. it can be built to take a lot more punishment with some aftermarket parts but it is a $3500 + hit. I spent 35 + years in the tranny industry so I have seen a few broken ones

/ 1997 F350 price check #13  
Yeah but that old 7.3 will run all day on heating oil (when the chit hits the fan):laughing:

No, piston walls will die since cavitation kills...Or the crappy tranny. Or crappy ball joints. Poor glow plugs relay..need I go on?

I had a 97 Powerchoke and never again...If I bought a diesel truck, it would be GM (love the tranny) or Dodge inline...

/ 1997 F350 price check
Must have been priced right for someone. I thought about it overnight and someone bought it while I was on the fence.

/ 1997 F350 price check #15  
No, piston walls will die since cavitation kills...Or the crappy tranny. Or crappy ball joints. Poor glow plugs relay..need I go on?

I had a 97 Powerchoke and never again...If I bought a diesel truck, it would be GM (love the tranny) or Dodge inline...

So I take it that you are bringing years of inexperience to this discussion!
Cavitation is a lack of maint. issue, but can't argue about the junk AT though! Never a chrysler fan either.
I have sold my old 7.3's with over 7000 hours on the clock running fine (leaking some oil) , these trucks usually die due to elec prob/rust/wrecks etc. but not the engine.

/ 1997 F350 price check #16  
sw03 said:

For real? If you would take a duramax over a 7.3 then you are certainly unique...

/ 1997 F350 price check #17  
So I take it that you are bringing years of inexperience to this discussion!
Cavitation is a lack of maint. issue, but can't argue about the junk AT though! Never a chrysler fan either.
I have sold my old 7.3's with over 7000 hours on the clock running fine (leaking some oil) , these trucks usually die due to elec prob/rust/wrecks etc. but not the engine.

Yep, my 99 7.3L died because of a deer incident. Motor leaked a little but the tranny was rock solid. I know I just got lucky. Put a bigger cooler on it early on and changed the fluid ever 30,000 miles but the truck was otherwise trouble free.

Dont forget that $30 Cam Pos Sensor.

Give me a Ford anything any day of the week over a Dmax or Cummins. They have way more issues/problems with the trucks overall. Yes, the engines are pretty good but that Allison not bullet proof and injectors and overheating is a issue on some model years. Cummins have lift pump issues, bad blocks, and the rest of the truck is a Dodge product.

/ 1997 F350 price check #18  
I'd take a 7.3L PSD over a d-max anyday...
For me its fundemental differences... the old 7/3 is all iron... if I wanted an automotive engine, I'd buy a gasser.
I currently have an 06 Dodge with the Cummins... and while some say, "well, its a good engine in a bad package".. These tend to be disgruntled Ford 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 owners.. so I just consider the source..
A good friend of mine just bought a 2012 F250 4x4 with the new PSD... we have decided that we are going to keep an accurate count of mileage, maintenance costs, and repairs made (whether warranty or not) and see just which truck does better.. We have already both agreed that my truck sees WAY more overloaded condition towing than theirs ever will...
He has also conceded that he cannot get within 4 mpg of my Dodge in fuel economy.
I have conceded that on paper, his is advertised with more available hp...

/ 1997 F350 price check #19  
yes you did get lucky on NOT having tranny issues. I also am not a fan of the durmax with its aluminum heads and the Allison is more hyp and marketing. it is NOTHING like the HD trannys they build. last I new the fast dmax racers have switched to the DODGE tranny as the much vaunted allison will not stand up. Cummins did have ONE block for a SHORT RUN that had SOME failures and NOT ALL gave trouble. it was the infamamus #53. I will take my simpler to work dodge Cummins over a truck that has to have the cab removed for much more than an oil change any day. not that I have to do much to it as it has been pretty much trouble free in 195,000 miles

Yep, my 99 7.3L died because of a deer incident. Motor leaked a little but the tranny was rock solid. I know I just got lucky. Put a bigger cooler on it early on and changed the fluid ever 30,000 miles but the truck was otherwise trouble free.

Dont forget that $30 Cam Pos Sensor.

Give me a Ford anything any day of the week over a Dmax or Cummins. They have way more issues/problems with the trucks overall. Yes, the engines are pretty good but that Allison not bullet proof and injectors and overheating is a issue on some model years. Cummins have lift pump issues, bad blocks, and the rest of the truck is a Dodge product.

/ 1997 F350 price check #20  
I just bought a 97 F350 DRW, manual transmission, 9' flat deck, crew cab, 5.8L gas engine and 300,000 Kms for $3000