Electric Trailer Brake/Light Wiring

/ Electric Trailer Brake/Light Wiring #1  

jgbanshee

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 310SE, JD 4300, JD 5210, JD 450 Crawler, CAT D3B, Ford 2N, Ford 5000 Ford 4000su, Ford 1100
Does anyone have any experience wiring in a 7-pin electric brake/light connection on a 1995 Ford L8000 dump truck? I'm not even sure where to start on this truck.

/ Electric Trailer Brake/Light Wiring #2  
I would try to locate a T-Connector specific for your truck. They make wiring a lot easier if one is available.

Begin your search here

/ Electric Trailer Brake/Light Wiring #3  
I would try to locate a T-Connector specific for your truck. They make wiring a lot easier if one is available.

Begin your search here

That would be my start as well...If there isn't a bus line for the e-brakes, you'll probably have to run a fused line for that too. If no "t" is available, you'll need to tie into the rear light circuit of the truck. I'd only do that as a last resort. Asking for down the road problems in some cases.

I've only had to do this on early 90's and before pickups. Prior to the plug and play that we have now.

/ Electric Trailer Brake/Light Wiring #4  
On my old international I had to tie into the brake switch under the dash and splice into the harness. I think you may find that you'll have to tap into the wire harness. Are the tail lights made by Ford or are the lights that look like they were installed by the people who installed the dump body? If they are Ford lights you may find a t-connector for a F350 will work otherwise I think you'll be splicing. If you do then make sure you seal the connections or get sealed connectors. One nice thing about a dump truck is you can raise the dump and work from the top on the harness.

/ Electric Trailer Brake/Light Wiring #5  
Are you going to use a 7 round or a 7 flat plug? Not that the wiring is different but the dump trucks and bigger trailers I have messed with they were all 7 round. Just something to think about.

/ Electric Trailer Brake/Light Wiring #6  
Here is the standard 7 pin wiring diagram. Etrailer.com has all the plugs and wiring diagrams you will need.

Attachments

• 7 pin trailer plug.jpg
    7 pin trailer plug.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 8,302
   / Electric Trailer Brake/Light Wiring #7  
Years ago, the biggest problem I had wiring a Chev C60 to pull boat trailer was the truck had separate turn signal wires (not combined with brake lights). It was not common in those days and took some work to get it all to work correctly. Now they have small boxes that you can add in to handle the conversion...

/ Electric Trailer Brake/Light Wiring #8  
Was the truck ever set up as a tractor? If so, there may be a trailer feed but it would probably have separate brake and turn signal wires for the trailer even though the truck would have combined brake light/turn signals. (Maybe that's what hawkeye ran into with his C-60.) If you are planning on pulling a trailer with combined brake/signal lights, then a t-fitting should work or you could splice into the light circuits at the back of the truck. Etrailer.com has great info, as George recommends. If you are hooking up to a big trailer with separate brake/turn signals, they use a round pin connector, rather than a flat pin connector and the wiring is different, as Whitnel says.

Do I have you confused now? :confused:

/ Electric Trailer Brake/Light Wiring #9  
I believe the L8000s had a "body builder" connection point on the driver's side just below the windshield under the hood. They have about 8-12 wire terminals on a non-conductive bussbar, most often they are marked as to the functions.

Unless you are pulling an RV, you will NEED the parts for the round 7-way convention.

/ Electric Trailer Brake/Light Wiring #10  
Was the truck ever set up as a tractor? If so, there may be a trailer feed but it would probably have separate brake and turn signal wires for the trailer even though the truck would have combined brake light/turn signals. (Maybe that's what hawkeye ran into with his C-60.) If you are planning on pulling a trailer with combined brake/signal lights, then a t-fitting should work or you could splice into the light circuits at the back of the truck. Etrailer.com has great info, as George recommends. If you are hooking up to a big trailer with separate brake/turn signals, they use a round pin connector, rather than a flat pin connector and the wiring is different, as Whitnel says.

Do I have you confused now? :confused:

Just a note that Etrailer.com has diagrams for all types of plugs, not just the 7 pin. They also sell the plugs and harnesses to install on your truck or trailer.