2005 Dodge 3500 4x4: Front ride height???

/ 2005 Dodge 3500 4x4: Front ride height??? #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Most of you may have already seen the pics or heard me talk about my new truck.

A 2005 Dodge 3500 DRW long bed 4x4 diesel:thumbsup:

Anyway, my buddys dad has an identical truck. I was up at his house yesterday putting in electric service to the garage, and his dad stopped by in his truck. (also a 2005, 3500 DRW long bed 4x4 diesel).

He was commenting on how his truck appears to set much higher in the front than any other he has seen:confused:

So I got out the tapemeasure. Sure enough, about 3" higher measuring from level ground up to fender above front tire. Mine is @ 39.5-40" give or take. His sets @ 43"

So it has got me wondering what is different. There are no torsion bars on these trucks. The only thing I can see that would make it higher would be the front springs a little stiffer. But we have the same GAWR and GCWR's. So did dodge possibly offer a "plow prep" package that included a little stiffer springs????

It is not really a big deal, just curious minds would like to know what could possibly be differnet?

/ 2005 Dodge 3500 4x4: Front ride height??? #2  
Sounds like it may have a leveling kit on the front end. Look for a thicker spacer just above the coil spring.

/ 2005 Dodge 3500 4x4: Front ride height???
I didnt see anything real obvious, and it may be awhile before I see that truck again. But I can see maybe getting 1" or so out of a spacer, but 3"??? A 3" spacer would put the coil well out of the little "bucket" it sets in.

/ 2005 Dodge 3500 4x4: Front ride height??? #4  
I just leveled the front of my 05 last month. It's not that easy to spot unless you know what you are looking at. It looks stock to most people. I lifted the front of mine 2.5 inches to achieve the leveled look. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it here to show you. Also, because of the geometry of the front suspension the spacer is only about 1.8 inches thick but raises the front 2.5 inches. The company I bought my spacers from also offer a 3 inch leveling kit, so it's most likely the reason his is taller.

/ 2005 Dodge 3500 4x4: Front ride height??? #5  
Guessing like the others, a leveling kit.

Personally, if I want my truck level, I hook up the 5th wheel, or toss in a yard of gravel.

As much as I like the look of a leveled truck, I don't like the backend being low when loaded...

Have a friend with a 05 or 06, that he leveled. Looks nice. But when he has the camper on, or tows his gooseneck three horse trailer, the back of the truck is low. He added airbags. He"looks cool" when he runs empty :D

/ 2005 Dodge 3500 4x4: Front ride height??? #6  
Yea, my guess is also coil spacers. I have them in my 08 Nissan Titan and I would guess they are only 1" spacers but because of the geometry it gives about a 2" lift.

Chris