2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins Fuel Milage

/ 2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins Fuel Milage #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Well, this is kinda an update to this thread http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/trailers-transportation/213745-finally-got-me-real-truck.html But I figured I'd start a new one since that one is old.

I gotta say, The milage is a little disappointing, but livable, but what is really disappointing is how far off the computer is:mad: Every other vehichle I have owned, including other dodges (not diesels though) has been spot on. My last 2003 chevy even had told how many gallons was used, and that was right on within 0.1 gallons for a full fillup.

Anyway, we took a road trip today to newport aquarium. I filled up before we left. I still had ~1/2 tank and 268 miles on the odometer. That 268 miles was mostly working the truck. Hauling loads of firewood as can be seen on my other threads, towing the kubota to a buddys and back to do some work, and scrapping a couple of cars. But the cars were only ~3000 lbs and the kubota weighed ~ 4500 plus my 2700lb trailer. So not really a heavy load for the truck, but no highway either.

That 268 miles took 23.7 gallon of fuel for a calculated figure of 11.3MPG, which I thoug was low. I was expecting ~ 14-15 given the loads and driving I did, and the computer said 15.6, so it was off by a good bit.

Anyway, we filled up right before getting on the freeway, and again right as we got home. Cruise was set @ 71 on the way down and 75 on the way home. Mostly flat ohio freeway right down I71 from 140 exit to just across the river into kentuckey. 284.6 Mile round trip. 15.89 gallons to top off.

Calculated figure of 17.9MPG. I can accept that for highway, but the computer showed 20.4:confused2:

So how many of you fellow Dodge CTD owners have actually hand figured, and compared to the computer???

/ 2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins Fuel Milage #2  
My '05 trip computer says 22.2 anytime I'm doing highway miles. Hand calculated is 19.8. Towing my machine around town to jobs I average 15.7. I have found that the trip computer is much more accurate when I don't reset it for a couple months.

/ 2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins Fuel Milage
My '05 trip computer says 22.2 anytime I'm doing highway miles. Hand calculated is 19.8. Towing my machine around town to jobs I average 15.7. I have found that the trip computer is much more accurate when I don't reset it for a couple months.

Thats still about 2 MPG better HWY

And over 4 MPG better with a heavier tractor than me

/ 2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins Fuel Milage #4  
I've always found the computer to be very optimistic on my '05 Dodge 2500 Cummins; sometimes by as much as 5 mpg. I've hand calculated my mileage ever since I discovered that. My camper towing is about 11.5. Highway is about 17 and my typical everyday driving averages around 14-15. Lots of driving around town can drag it to as low as 12. I was kind of hoping for a little more, but it's still much better than my '94 Suburban w/ 5.7l, and also better than my Dad's 7.3 Powerstroke, so I can't complain too much.

Now, my brother's '03 Cummins 3500 constantly gets 4-5 mpg better than mine, but if you look at the specs, it's a noticeably milder engine, so that's to be expected. You don't get more power out of the same engine for nothing.

I'm begining to think it's just the nature of the beast.

Joe

/ 2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins Fuel Milage #5  
I'm really surprised there is that much difference between trucks. Although I did fail to mention that I have a Bullydog PMT installed in my truck. I have to say I was skeptical at first but the power gains were undeniable. I did notice an improvement in the mileage while while both towing and highway driving. However just around town driving didn't improve at all.

/ 2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins Fuel Milage #6  
Never had a Cummins but like you every other truck was pretty much spot on, mainly Fords and GM's but also a Honda, Toyota, Nissan, ect thrown in there.

No more the .25 mpg error in any of them.

Chris

/ 2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins Fuel Milage #7  
I've always found the computer to be very optimistic on my '05 Dodge 2500 Cummins; sometimes by as much as 5 mpg. I've hand calculated my mileage ever since I discovered that. My camper towing is about 11.5. Highway is about 17 and my typical everyday driving averages around 14-15. Lots of driving around town can drag it to as low as 12. I was kind of hoping for a little more, but it's still much better than my '94 Suburban w/ 5.7l, and also better than my Dad's 7.3 Powerstroke, so I can't complain too much.

Now, my brother's '03 Cummins 3500 constantly gets 4-5 mpg better than mine, but if you look at the specs, it's a noticeably milder engine, so that's to be expected. You don't get more power out of the same engine for nothing.

I'm begining to think it's just the nature of the beast.

Joe
I ahve found it to be more accurate when I dont mess with it... TBH, I dont even look at it unless we go on a LONG trip... like atleast 250 miles..
The 03 models had less stringent emissions and lower hp, so like MARVELTONE stated, nothing is free.. Also, what differential gears do you have? 3:42, 3:73, 4:10???
@When driving across Texas, I can get 19-21 MPG out of a 3:73 equipped 06 Ram 2500 4x4 QC.. this is hand calculated and running completely stock, no power adders and on stock tires. If you are looking for some added fuel efficiency, buy a Smarty Jr. Set it on SW1 and forget about it.

/ 2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins Fuel Milage #8  
I'm really surprised there is that much difference between trucks. Although I did fail to mention that I have a Bullydog PMT installed in my truck. I have to say I was skeptical at first but the power gains were undeniable. I did notice an improvement in the mileage while while both towing and highway driving. However just around town driving didn't improve at all.
I have a Bully Dog installed as well. I have it set to max power and realize better fuel economy at that setting. You just get used to using only the top 1/8th of the petal but really nice when you HAVE to get on it to have the rest in reserve.

/ 2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins Fuel Milage
I believe it is 3.73 gears

/ 2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins Fuel Milage #10  
My computer is always off by about 4 mpg... I just know that when I look at it and don't worry about it... I average about 18 - 19 empty and 12 - 14 pulling the tractor or travel trailer. I do have the 05 2500, 6 speed and about 136k on the engine.....

Tim