Electric Trailer Brakes

/ Electric Trailer Brakes #1  

Rustyiron

Tractor
M 9540 Kubota
I've had trlrs. with elec brakes for 25yrs. or so, and have never been impressed (with the brakes) and allways had a heavier than needed towing unit so I wasn't overly concerned. Now that I'm older and not as eager to just "go for it" and hopefully a bit wiser I am wondering what to expect out of a properly working and adjusted elec. brake sys. The past 8 yrs or so I've been pulling a dual-tandem gooseneck and with that comes heavier loads and the potential for a bigger wreck! I have had 2 different trlrs as described and both had Dexter axles and brakes and have been towed by several different trucks all with different controllers.
Never have I been able to skid the brakes, loaded or not.
I just saw a set of (air brake) axles complete with tanks, lines tires and wheels... complete for $2500 obo, he was converting to elec. This really tempts me but will eliminate using 2 of my towing vehicles. SOOOO, you guys with dual tandem elec brakes? Does my **** just need attention, or can elec. brakes really slide all that rubber with a load on?
note; I know about the axle/brake (count) rating of the controller. and that it/they are functioning. Wiring is all in order. :confused2:Thanks

/ Electric Trailer Brakes #2  
First ask yourself why the other fellow is switching to electric. Second it really is dangerous to lock up the trailer brakes as the trailer will want to go sideways.

Adjust your brakes. Many electric brakes are not self adjusting and get neglected. Last make sure all of them are actually working.

/ Electric Trailer Brakes #3  
Lift the rear of your trailer and verify by spinning a wheel and hitting the brakes on the tow vehicle, most problems I see are with faulty controllers and mis adjusted shoes, while you have them apart it is a good idea to pack the bearings and replace the grease seals and cotter pins.

/ Electric Trailer Brakes #4  
I also see problems with wiring. You may think its right but you need a minimum of 10 ga wire and it would not hurt to have heavier. I see trailers wired all the time with 16 ga or less.

You need to make sure everything is adjusted correctly.

Also, a good brake controller makes all the difference. Get a quality controller like Max Brake and I bet you will notice a difference.

Chris

/ Electric Trailer Brakes #5  
I've never looked into it personally but I have been told that air brakes require a special license. Electric brakes should work just fine. If the trailer is in good shape then check the wiring on your truck. If the trailer is in question then pull a drum and check the brake pads and hardware. Check the wiring on the magnets including the ground.

I've seen a lot of trailers that just ground one of the wires from the magnet to the frame. I personally run a wire from the ground on the 7 pin connector wire to each ground wire on the magnets.

/ Electric Trailer Brakes #6  
From a properly working system you should feel it slow the trailer with a slight pull, when stopping with a load you should not feel a push from the trailer like it is not stopping.

/ Electric Trailer Brakes #7  
According to Dexter electric trailer brakes are NOT intended to lock up the wheels. Perfectly normal situation.

In my experience I can lock up the brakes on an empty trailer. Loaded with normal traction, no way.

/ Electric Trailer Brakes #8  
Thats exactly why you need the correct tow vehicle, the trailer brakes are just a SUPPLEMENT to the tow vehicle. People think just because they have trailer brakes somehow transforms their vehicles to the if it can pull it the trailer brakes will stop me in time mentality, this is totally wrong.

/ Electric Trailer Brakes
Well, I'm towing with either a F350 or a F450 or a FL70 Freightliner and a class A CDL, so I think I'm all set there. The wiring is heavy to the brakes on all trucks and on the trlr. grounds at each axle, (and each light fixture), can't have enough grounds on a trlr! and the brakes on the trlr. are properly adjusted. The trlr is a 25,500 gvw (Kaufman brand) and I think that it is just too much for elec. brakes. Had a 20 ton trlr. with air brakes and there is no comparison between the 2. I just don't want to be limited to the 33,000 lb truck for towing it, (that is if I were to convert to the air brake set up thet I mentioned). I do feel a slight pull from the trlr. but even manually squeezing the controller to the max, I don't get the warm fuzzy, yeah, were going to stop this thing right now feeling, like you can get outta air brakes.

/ Electric Trailer Brakes #10  
Electric brakes should be able to skid the tires on pavement when the trailer is empty, the brakes are properly adjusted, you crank up the controller to max and hit the manual brake button on the controller.
If they dont do that, you may have a problem with the brakes.

Aaron Z