Powerstroke question....

/ Powerstroke question.... #11  
i didn't say there was a 98 model.. I said the build date / door sticker on my 99 titled f350 is 12/98

soundguy

I know you said it was a '99. A lot of people don't realize Ford didn't build a '98.

/ Powerstroke question.... #12  
The super duty body style appeared for the 99 model year. There is an early and a late 99 model. The changes are to the engine and involve a better turbo, intake system, and bigger injectors for the late 99 and on. The early 99 lacks these improvements and is lower on HP plus aftermarket parts are not as available for the early 99.

Up until 2001 the engine uses strong forged rods. 2001 and later used a powdered metal rod that is prone to failure at higher HP levels. Also in about 2001 and later was a goofy diode in the transmission that made the trans die an early death. The 2002 and later did get much better headlights and a front air dam that I like.

Parts interchangability is exceptionally excellent from 99 on up through the very late models like even the 08s. That is amazing to me. I can swap tailgates, fenders, and seats with a truck 10 years older.

/ Powerstroke question.... #13  
For a time in the '97/'98 era, didn't Ford have 2 body styles while they were switching to the new Super Duty body? I can remember somewhere in that era they had the new body and the "legacy" 250 and 350's.
Perhaps it was in '99.

/ Powerstroke question.... #14  
I have a 96' F-Superduty with 325,xxx mi, 97' F-250 with 260,xxx mi, 2001' with 220,xxx mi, and a 02' with 210,xxx mi. All with 7.3L Powerstrokes. All with no problems. Change oil and filters. Use 20-50% Bio-Diesel and they all run perfect. 02' = 910 lb/ft TRQ, and 760 HP and 18-22 mpg. So I highly recommend a 7.3L. Run the other way from 6.0L even if it's free or go for the new 6.7L.:thumbsup:

/ Powerstroke question.... #15  
Also in about 2001 and later was a goofy diode in the transmission that made the trans die an early death.

The mechanical diode is only on early '01 trucks. It was a dumb idea that almost always meant a catastrophic trans failure.

/ Powerstroke question.... #16  
For a time in the '97/'98 era, didn't Ford have 2 body styles while they were switching to the new Super Duty body? I can remember somewhere in that era they had the new body and the "legacy" 250 and 350's.
Perhaps it was in '99.

No. Ford made a '97 and came out with the '99 SuperDuty in January '98. They introduced a new '97 F-150 in late '96. They had a light duty F-250 in the that body style for a time. After they introduced the SuperDuty they had two separate body styles like they still do.

/ Powerstroke question.... #17  
I have a 04 6.0l 4X4 f250 crew cab. I have 135,000 miles and no problems at all. If you can find a 6.0l that has over 80,000 miles with a clean car fax you should be all right. The price is suppressed because of the history of the 6.0l. I have found that once they reach 80,000 the major faults have been found. A 03/04 6.0l will last longer if left stock, no chips or programers to up boost or cylinder pressure. Also regular oil changes are a must with this engine, along with coolant checks. It is not a cheap engine to maintain.

/ Powerstroke question.... #18  
I have a 04 6.0l 4X4 f250 crew cab. I have 135,000 miles and no problems at all. If you can find a 6.0l that has over 80,000 miles with a clean car fax you should be all right. The price is suppressed because of the history of the 6.0l. I have found that once they reach 80,000 the major faults have been found. A 03/04 6.0l will last longer if left stock, no chips or programers to up boost or cylinder pressure. Also regular oil changes are a must with this engine, along with coolant checks. It is not a cheap engine to maintain.

Yep, the 6.0L thing has gotten blown way out by the internet. I have 2, a 04 F-250 4x4 and a 06 F-350 SRW 4x4, not a single issue other than a bad fuel gauge/dash cluster in about the first 3,000 miles on the F-350.

Sound guy has a 04 F-250 on here also with no issue.

I have 25 or so customers with 6.0L and none have had any major issues. Some EGR and one Turbo and all these trucks work hard.

Chris

/ Powerstroke question.... #19  
I would stay in the 7.3L era... while not perfect, it is a very durable engine that has proven to be able to work hard for hundreds of thousands of miles... We have one in the family with 350K+ on the clock.... has been driven by everybody, It used to be maintained very well, until it got semi-retired and passed 325K... now, its neglected/abused but will still start and run... She needs a pump and some injectors, but it will still get to town and back...
We have not been so lucky with ANYTHING that Ford has built since.... may not be everybodys experience, just ours.
As a side note, parts are readily available in the aftermarket for the 7.3L... my S.I.L. also has one and recently lost the glowplugs, cheap/simple fix... Also lost the IDM, got a performance upgraded one from Swamps Diesel WAY cheaper than the Ford house..
When shopping for a 7.3L truck, some things to pay attemtion to are cold start willingness, look for fuel leaks in the "V", Check to see if the fuel heater wire is disconnected from the fuel filter base... on the glowplugs, there is a simple v/m test that will determine if they need replacement or not.
Fuel leaks in the "V" arent really bad, jsut a couple hours of work to repair and may be used as a bargaining tool on price...
The fuel heater is a KNOWN source of electrical shorts that will disable the engine... having the heater wire unhooked is ok if you live in a mild climate...

/ Powerstroke question.... #20  
My 03 6.0 turned 197,000 miles today. Just replaced one of the front unit bearings. That's the only service it's ever needed outside scheduled maintenance.