Powerstroke question....

/ Powerstroke question.... #1  

flyingcow

Veteran Member
Looking for a ford 3/4 ton, crew with powerstroke. Older, maybe like a 1998 or up a few yrs. When did Ford start having problems with the "new line of powerstokes?

i'm leaning to find something from the south, hopefully something that hasn't seen a winter. Not tied into a certain year, just clean and reliable. i've looked on autotrader, craigs list, any other good sites?

/ Powerstroke question.... #2  
The only years of Powerstrokes I would stay away from are the 2003 and early build 2004. But in reality they should all be fine by now some 7 or 8 years later. The early 6.0's were a problem child but the 05 though 07 were rock solid as any other diesels out there. The make great power and have good economy.

As far as older you cant go wrong with the Powerstroke 7.3L. There was a non Powerstroke 7.3L and a 6.9L that came before it.

As for after the 6.0L in 2007 they introduced the Twin Turbo 6.4 and now the 6.7L.

All motors were built by International Harvester until Ford took over production in 2011 with the 6.7L

Chris

/ Powerstroke question.... #3  
ditto what DP said.

about 89-93.5 was a NA 7.3 diesel, 93.5-94.5 was a turbo 7.3 diesel, from then till about 2003.5 was the 7.3psd, and then from then the 6.0psd.

I drive a 04 f250 6.0 for work and it's been a great truck.

a while back I got a 99 f450 7.3psd for pulling a GN trailer out of state and long distance to fetch old tractors to refurbish.. I liked it so much that when my well used and worn out dodge half ton gave up it's front axle a few weeks ago, that I found a 99 f350 with 7.3psd to replace it with. the 7.3 isn't a speed demon ( 6.0 is very peppy... ) but it gets you there and is pretty darn tough and bullet proof. as a side benefit it sounds like a piece of heavy equipment when you start it up.. :)

soundguy

/ Powerstroke question.... #4  
The powerstroke 7.3 was introduced in the mid 90s and ran until 2003 with a big body style change in 99. You want a "late" 99 on up to a 2003 with the 7.3, the best year is a 2000 for a couple of subtle reasons.

The 6.0 liter engine came out in late 2003 and was/is a dud. Major issues and not worth the risk. Sure, some later 6 liter engines were fine but the majority have been extremely costly to keep running. When they do run, they run great with good power. When they fail, it is very expensive to fix, as in many thousands of dollars. 6.0 diesel trucks can be had for very cheap due to their extremely poor track record.

You really can't beat the ford truck quality from the 99 model year on up in supertduty trucks.

In all of my years reading about the 6.0s on various forums, diamondpilot is about the only guy that has been happy with his 6.0. I trust him and believe that he has a combination of very good luck, excellent maintenance, and he properly uses his truck in such a way to keep that 6.0 happy.

Oh and one more thing. Don't get a 3/4 ton. Get the one ton non-dually. This will give you an additional 1000 lbs of legal cargo capacity with no negative effects.

I bought my 2000 Crew cab F350 diesel from a craigslist ad that a small dealership had posted. Searchtempest.com allows you to search craigslist ads across the country.

/ Powerstroke question.... #5  
I looked at an F350 6.0L diesel a few years ago...a 2005, IIRC. It was a nice truck, but the horror stories about the engine problems scared me off.
However, if the later versions were as good as Diamondpilot maintains, you can get a good truck at a good price (due to the poor reputation).
Just do some research on this engine first...and confirm what Diamondpilot writes.

/ Powerstroke question.... #6  
The powerstroke 7.3 was introduced in the mid 90s and ran until 2003 with a big body style change in 99. You want a "late" 99 on up to a 2003 with the 7.3, the best year is a 2000 for a couple of subtle reasons.

my 99 f350 is a 12/98 and it has the 'new' body style, not the previous more boxy one with different fender and door parts.

soundguy

/ Powerstroke question.... #7  
There was not a '98 model. The new '99 SuperDuty came out in January '98. I had ordered an F-350 dually in the fall of '97 and took delivery in early February '98.

/ Powerstroke question.... #8  
i didn't say there was a 98 model.. I said the build date / door sticker on my 99 titled f350 is 12/98

soundguy

/ Powerstroke question.... #9  
My 97 is alive and well and Soundgy, you are right on with the observation that when you start it, it sounds like heavy equipment......:laughing:

Just turned 91 thousand actual miles.

Almost time to put it to bed for the winter, along with the Caddy.

/ Powerstroke question.... #10  
I am happy with my 2002 7.3 F350 Dually. I mainly work it pulling at GVW or plowing with a Boss V with the Extension wings. I am really afraid to buy a new truck because of the prices....and no long proven track record.