Truck Advice

/ Truck Advice #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
Periodically, self-doubt enters my mind about my current truck and I wanted to get some advice. I own a 2009 GMC 2500 Duramax. I really like it. It has been without doubt the best overall truck I have ever had or owned. I have 63,000 miles on it and average about 30K miles of driving per year, mostly highway and no real severe service miles. I looked at a new one about six months ago but could not justify spending almost $60,000 for a truck that really ran no better than mine. I have some issues going on which are making me lean to a 1/2 ton again, but I did not want to make a bad decision, hence my post. I posted a similar thread about one year ago and received some good input then. It was a wash in opinion though among folks and my circumstance is different this time, so therefore my new post (with a twist).

I bought my 2500 diesel mainly due to the fact I like diesels, feel they hold their value well/better, towed occasional 10K plus loads, and drove a lot. I now rarely tow over 6K and even that is less than once a month, my driving is the same, and I am looking to free up about 6-8" of additional on-end garage space to do some built-in tool racks (which cannot be done with my current truck). In addition, I paid for my truck with a fairly large downpayment and put the rest on a floating equity line that I can use for either home or business-related expense. Due to last year's income, I can no longer take some of the deductions off my line/tax, which bothers me, but is not a deal-breaker. If I keep my truck residual on my line, it is due to be paid off (essentially paying the line) in 18 months unless I just do it now, which I could and likely should from a business perspective. The only thing holding me back (and prompting me to think about a 1/2 ton as well) is that we have located some very nice property (15 acres) that we really would like to buy if/when it becomes available with the thought of building a home on the site. We have heard the owners are going to sell, but no official word yet, though I know it is coming available with 99% confidence.

In looking at 1/2 tons, the two trucks that stand out are the F150 Ecoboost 4x4 and the GMC Sierra SLT or Denali for my interest. The Ford meets my needs best as it gets really good mileage per report on the highway and still has good towing power at low RPM. I have owned Fords for many years and found them reliable but not as good to drive as GM trucks. I also have had brake issues in the past with them and our local dealers are OK but nothing the write home about and the service depts at both our local dealerships are marginal by report and prior personal experience. The GMC is a nice truck but smaller. It needs both an interior and exterior update but runs really well. I would want the 6.2L engine, though I know I am giving up fuel economy. I do not feel the 1/2 ton GMC SLT is quite the truck of the Ford, but I have limited experience with one. I think the powertrain would be the equal or better. The real kicker here is that I really like my current GM dealer. They are pleasant and easy to work with and have an outstanding service manager; the best of any with whom I have ever dealt. Quite simply they make me want to buy from them if/when I do, where I do not have that feeling with the Ford dealer.

Either truck would fit the bill OK. If I sold my diesel I could zero my line (which is a secondary issue but the only money I really owe right now), get a new truck for potentially 0% (GMC) or with a very low interest rate that is less expensive and would potentially free up a bit of additional income to save for a potential land purchase, and free up that few inches of wall garage space I need for my shelving while keeping both my wife's new car and my truck parked inside. The downside is I would potentially be letting go of an excellent truck that I really like that I could have zeroed out in 18 months anyway. What think you??

John M

/ Truck Advice #2  
Unless you got a superb deal on your current rig, and I mean like dealer cost, well below invoice then you are going to take a beating getting rid of your current rig. I did all right trading in my two year old truck towards my current truck but that's largely because I only had 10,000 miles on it (I have a take home work vehicle) and because the price I paid for that truck was into dealer hold back territory (around $1,000 below invoice). I think you will be disappointed if you trade in your current truck because you will be paying more money for a lesser truck. If you really need to increase your mileage wait until your warranty is up which shouldn't be much longer unless you got an extended warranty and install a DPF elimination kit on your truck and get a tuner to remove the DPF programs in your computer. Leave it at stock power levels and you'll pick up a few mpg's over stock and probably get close to what you'd get out of the ecoboost. I know if I eneded up keeping my pickup past warranty (very unlikely based upon my vehicle purchase history) the first thing that I'd do is ditch the emissions equipment and pick up some fuel economy.

/ Truck Advice #3  
What about just keeping the duramax(it is barely broke in) and just building a leanto tool shed on the back side of the garage.

/ Truck Advice #4  
My first question is, what do you do for work? Do you need a truck for work every day? I'm just thinking out loud. Maybe you could get by with a car that would rack up most of the miles and keep your current truck.

If you are looking at buying a half ton, I'll offer my opinion. I am a land surveyor and we have had a lot of different trucks over the years. We store a lot of equipment in back, put a topper on them with doors on the side and use them pretty hard for 3 to 4 years on a lease. I liked the older Fords (around the 2000 model year) but don't like the newer ones. Newer Fords sit too high and the beds are too deep. We always get 2 wheel drives, the 4 wheel drives are really bad. I feel like a little kid standing next to one. I'm 6' feet tall, and I can barely reach in the bed from the sides on a 2 wheel drive, let alone a 4 wheel drive. I also don't like the controls for the heater and radio, they just don't seem instinctive, but I'm sure if I drove the Ford a lot, I'd get use to it. The ride of the Ford is really good though.

We also have a couple of GMC's and I like them better. They don't sit so high and I like the controls better. They just seem better for the way we use them. I have a co worker that just bought a new GMC 4x4 and it also seems like it doesn't sit so high. My personal truck is a GMC regular cab 4x4 and I like it O.K., but is older, a 2002, with over a 100,000 miles.

As you can guess by my user name, my heart and soul is with Dodge. I had a 2007 Dodge Quad cab 4x4 for several years and really liked it. I haven't driven a newer Dodge, but I've looked at them a lot, and I think I'd like it also. The Ram box looks pretty sweet to me.

A lot of my comments are based on the way I use my personal truck and the way we use them at work. If you drive off road a lot, a really high truck with a lot of ground clearance might be improtant to you. If I were to take a step back and give and honest evaluation I'd say the GMC and Dodges are equal, with the Ford in last place. That said, you really can't go wrong with a new truck. A lot of people swear by Nissan and Toyota also.

/ Truck Advice #5  
Periodically, self-doubt enters my mind about my current truck and I wanted to get some advice. I own a 2009 GMC 2500 Duramax. I really like it. It has been without doubt the best overall truck I have ever had or owned. ..... ..... ..... .....
.... .... that I really like that I could have zeroed out in 18 months anyway. What think you??

John M

Sounds like you are thinking about trading something that is doing a great job and almost paid off for something that is merely "OK" and will cost more.

If you are going to save up to by land then just do it. Why do the renovations you are talking about if you plan to move anyway?

/ Truck Advice #6  
It looks like the opportunity for me to buy a slightly used Ford Excursion may come up...

I've towed with Ford, Dodge and GM diesels and found the Excursion to be the best in terms of capable towing, comfort and those that have them find very little to fault.

Just curios why Ford would be in last place in the Diesel Market and if a Ford Excursion falls into the category?

The vehicle I'm thinking of was bought new by a retired couple to tow their airstream trailer 6 weeks every year...

/ Truck Advice #7  
It sounds like the main reason you want a newer truck is better fuel mileage. In that case, I would get an exhaust, intake and programmer for your Duramax and get better mileage than a brand new unproven Ecoboost Ford yet still have that reliability, resale and towing capacity of a 3/4-ton truck. I can't imagine getting rid of a truck just because I wanted a little more room in the garage. Get creative with storage and I bet you can make some fold-down tool racks.
Just curios why Ford would be in last place in the Diesel Market
Because of their diesel engines. :laughing:

/ Truck Advice #8  
If you want a new vehicle and can afford it, buy it. Fuel mileage is not justification for buying a new vehicle. Using your 30K a year miles, assuming your new gas vehicle gets 20 mpg, your GM diesel gets 16 mpg, gas at $3.50/gal, diesel at $3.75/gal., you will save $1781.25/year in fuel cost. Balance that against the loss on selling your current vehicle and the payments for a new vehicle.

You will have less vehicle with the 1/2 ton, and if you buy land, the GM diesel is nice for hauling things. Pay off your current vehicle and be happy. You will be surprised at how good a paid off vehicle rides compared to one with payments.

/ Truck Advice #9  
If you want a new vehicle and can afford it, buy it. Fuel mileage is not justification for buying a new vehicle. Using your 30K a year miles, assuming your new gas vehicle gets 20 mpg, your GM diesel gets 16 mpg, gas at $3.50/gal, diesel at $3.75/gal., you will save $1781.25/year in fuel cost. Balance that against the loss on selling your current vehicle and the payments for a new vehicle.

You will have less vehicle with the 1/2 ton, and if you buy land, the GM diesel is nice for hauling things. Pay off your current vehicle and be happy. You will be surprised at how good a paid off vehicle rides compared to one with payments.

In my opinion you hit it dead on.

/ Truck Advice #10  
Pay off your current vehicle and be happy. You will be surprised at how good a paid off vehicle rides compared to one with payments.

Paid for is ALWAYS nice... my 2006 Dodge Cummins has been paid for almost 3 years now. Even when I see the new trucks going down the road, I just look remind myself that I dont make a payment to anybody..