New Tipping Trailer

/ New Tipping Trailer #11  
Nigel, nice looking outfit. I have been looking for a tipping trailer as well, but have not found one I like yet.

Please tell us about the house in the background. I like the style, but would like to know more about the exterior, roof materials, etc.

Thanks, Bob

/ New Tipping Trailer #13  
That Sands unit is a nice little trailer. I wonder what the shipping to Ireland would have been? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ New Tipping Trailer #14  
Anyone have a Bri-Mar Dump Trailer? I am looking at the Model DT 508-3 or5. It looks like it would be small enough to pick up mulch, etc, and perhaps even fit the BX, it is 5 feet by 8 feet, it needed.

Here is a link.

web page

/ New Tipping Trailer
Thanks Harvey,

Yes the sides fold down and are removable. This leaves two corner posts which lift out and front headboard which may also lift off although I would have to investigate this further.

I have to say that all things considered this is close to the perfect trailer for my purposes. The trailer in the short term will be used to short haul clay and topsoil as I landscape around the house. In the longer term duties will include moving compost, grass and hedge cuttings, general rubbish etc. Hence the LGP tyres were important to not overly mark lawn when finished.

More importantly, we have a state owned forest 2 miles up the road. I am currently enquiring from the Forestry Service the possibility of logging fallen trees for firewood.

I said it was almost close to perfect. Nothing ever is /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif One of the items that would be useful would be extended mesh sides for grass and hedge cuttings. However these will be easy to fab up myself and will make a winter project for next winter. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Why the cab. Ireland is called the emerald isle because of all the lush green grass. For this you need rain, and we get lots of it. Regularly all year round /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Seriously, I bought the tractor second hand in quite a sorry state. Stripped all panel work to bare metal last spring and resprayed. Cab was on it when purchased.

Attachments

• 245522-05130005.jpg
    245522-05130005.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 268
   / New Tipping Trailer
Tim,

Picture of the rear tailgate. The gate is top hinged on a clevis hitch held currently with two bolts. I will change these soon to drop pins so that the door can be removed faster. The position of the hinge is on the outer edge which causes the door to naturally swing outwards about 2" when the latching is released.

Latching is by a horizontal bar with 3 latching spigots on the fixed lower edge. A handle is located on the lhs corner post and held in place when closed by a captive circular metal band which you slide up when you wish to release the handle.

I've no idea what spreading chains are. You will have to enlighten me /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Attachments

• 245526-A 039 (Small).jpg
    245526-A 039 (Small).jpg
    74 KB · Views: 270
   / New Tipping Trailer
Bob,

Thanks for the message and the kind comments.

The house is my own creation, literally.

I worked for an architects practice for several years before moving into building surveying.
My father is a Building Contractor and I have grown up as a builder. I bought the plot, designed the house and my father and myself built it.

Unlike yourselves in the states, houses here in Ireland are seldom in timber frame, (although gaining in popularity).
The walls are in two skins of concrete masonry blockwork to form a cavity wall. The cavity filled with polystyrene insulant for thermal insulation. The outer finish is a traditional local appearance. It is firstly two coat sand cement render. Then while the outer coat is just setting or "green" a cement slurry with fine basalt aggregate grit added is "harled" on the wall ("thrown" for all those non techincally minded). And yes there is a technique to it. The technique is not to get it on the windows, doors etc /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The roof is of timber rafters with concrete interlocking tiles fixed to timber roofing battens. Again the void between rafters is filled with insulant for thermal efficiency.

For low maintenance, the window frames, soffits and fascias are formed in white uPVC. [ The less painting I have, the more time I can spend on the Iseki /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ]

/ New Tipping Trailer
Harvey,

I have to agree with Peter. Shipping to Ireland might be a tad expensive. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

BTW, why is it that the axle for the trailer in your post is located so close to the centre of the bed. As with my trailer, all agricultural trailers here are manufactured with the axle as close to the rear as possible. This transfers a higher load to the back wheels of the tractor and hence more traction. Also when tipping you do not get a load transfer causing an upward force on the tractor hitch.

My father-in-law worked for Massey Ferguson as an area salesman in the 70's and early 80's. He indicates that at one time Massey took the theory of load transfer one step further and introduced a system to the hitch of the trailer.
This consisted of a chain linkage from the tractor drawbar to the 3pt hitch. If the tractor was losing traction (this was before the popularity of 4wd), then the operator lifted the 3pt linkage which in turn tried to raise the drawbar of the trailer, resulting on a greater downforce on the rear wheels of the trailer.

My father-in-law reports that this was a very successful system, but was not idiot proof and was therefore dropped after several years and numerous breakages resulting from inexperienced operators.

/ New Tipping Trailer #19  
That certainly is different from any construction I know of in this part of the world, but it certainly looks great!

/ New Tipping Trailer #20  
Evening Nigel,

It's interesting to talk to someone actually from Ireland. Lacey, my sir name, is I understand a good old Irish name.

Even if it isn't I have found it an easy explanation for my gift of gab. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would have to say my questioning your motives behind getting that trailer is from the same kind of character flaw that you exhibited with your questioning me about the location of the axle on the trailer I linked. Some of us are just curious. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I have no idea why they put the axle so near the middle of the trailer. I guess it could be habit, they make trailers and the axles are usually just aft of the middle. A trailer's a trailer's a trailer and why would anyone consider the weight transfer aft of the axle a problem?

I would suspect that maybe since the trailer is for small vehicles and the gross capacity is a ton they were concerned more about the adverse affects of too much tongue weight over the heart attack when dumping when the tow vehicle is hanging in mid air as the dump action begins.

Spreading chains are chains used to limit the opening action of the tail gate. This allows the load to be distributed more evenly by the tow vehicle. I once watched in awe as a rock truck deliverd rock for a driveway. When he was done an operator of a tractor would have been proud of the leveling of the load down the drive.

With a dump trailer there is an inherent problem with tail gate action when dumping. Trash or demolition trailers usually use fold back tail boards. The biggest problem with these is when the doors are just opened and not secured back along the sides. Gravity swings the doors in line with the sides and then of course they hit the ground before the dumping action is complete. This is usually a fatal screwup of that set of doors.

A fold down or a fold out tail board or gate has the problem of the pressure of the load against them. This inhibits releasing them. The standard cure for this in the states is a rod operating by cam two links that hold the tail gate in place closed. Opening is a function where the rod moves the links holding the tail gate out and down away. On big rigs this operation is done via air cylinders, slick.