Built my own trailer / Introduction

/ Built my own trailer / Introduction #1  

MGAREL

Tractor
JD 5525
Hi everyone-

I found this site searching on how to design my trailer I was building, then again researching a tractor the company I work for was buying. I wanted to register and post to say thanks, I've found lots of good info on here.

I wanted to show off my trailer project, its not much of a trailer, but it fits my needs perfectly. It would haul a compact tractor, but I / we don't own one small enough. It carries my riding mower or ATV or whatever short of an automobile.

It all started innocently enough with a cheap popup camper frame, but the project snowballed into a 6 x 12 trailer with a dovetail and rampgate.

In my opinion, there are a few things about this trailer that make it different and special. I built in a ramp gate assist in the pipe top rails and I used the A frame from the popup camper and 7' of the fully boxed frame for extra strength. I boxed the C channel A frame to stiffen it up too.

trailerframe.jpg

I put LED clearance lights into the fender brackets so that I can see where my trailer is because its wider than my truck. The fender brackets are 2x3 angle set at a 45 degree angle from the trailer, hopefully if I run the trailer too close to a tree or post, it will kick the trailer out rather than crushing in the fender.

trailer11.jpg

At the end of the pipe rails, I put a piece of square tubing, drilled some holes and made rollers out of spacers and set screw collars. There are 125# garage door springs in each tube, connected to a cable. One the front end of the tube, I welded a cap to a pipe coupler, then threaded a nipple into that. The end of the nipple has a washer welded to that. A piece of threaded rod goes through there and I used a nylon locknut to set the preload on the springs. All that ended up with a barely detectable lift gate assist.

trailer24.jpg

trailer4.jpg

The front portion of the popup camper frame serves to stiffen up the trailer in the front and gave me some nice real estate to put some diamond tread aluminum on there to keep the paint from getting chipped up.

trailer51.jpg

Trailer is slightly wider than my F150

trailer3.jpg

The trailer is constructed from 2x3 and 2x2 3/16 angle, the top rails are sch 40 black pipe. The inside of the rails measures 73" 10.5' of flat deck 1.5" of dovetail with a 3' gate. And all the light wiring runs in frame rails or 1/4" pipe to keep it protected.

I painted it with automotive epoxy primer and acrylic enamel paint for a lasting paint job. I paid extra attention to the bottom side, that's where the rust always seems to begin.

I manage a small seed company in Arkansas, we just bought a John Deere 5525 with a 542 loader. We have had a Case tractor for years, a bush hog, box blade, killifer etc. We have two tandem axle trailers, that's why I built a light duty trailer for myself.

Sorry for the long post, this is a great forum!

/ Built my own trailer / Introduction #2  
Very nice build and nice job of documenting it. You should be very proud.

Curios, what was the total cost? I know you started off with some materials so I am sure that helped but 9 times out of 10 you can buy a trailer for what you can build it for.

Chris

/ Built my own trailer / Introduction
Very nice build and nice job of documenting it. You should be very proud.

Curios, what was the total cost? I know you started off with some materials so I am sure that helped but 9 times out of 10 you can buy a trailer for what you can build it for.

Chris

I have $850 in it total- the epoxy primer and automotive paint cost nearly $150, I could have painted it with cheaper paint for way less, but I built this trailer to keep and didn't want to repaint later. I got the 3500 lb axle, wheels and tires, jack and pipe material for free, and paid $60 for the popup camper frame. I had to do some chasing to get the free parts, but well worth it. I could have built it out of 1/8" steel and saved some money, but why do the work and end up with a flimsy trailer? Without a doubt, a similar trailer could be bought for around $1200. I suspect you couldn't get a 3/16" material or a 2x3 main frame for that price though. Definitely a no on the tailgate lift assist for that price. I plan to insure the trailer for $2000, it may be a bit much, but with steel prices on the rise, I don't want it to be stolen and me come up short.

/ Built my own trailer / Introduction #4  
Nice. Getting the axle and running gear for free is what made it all possible. I deal in trailers and I have looked at building my own more than once. Just the steel, axles, and running gear always cost more than I could buy a new one for and I would still need the wood, wiring, paint, tires, ect. I don't know how they do it?:confused2:

Anyway, nice job. Enjoy.

Chris

/ Built my own trailer / Introduction #5  
Just the steel, axles, and running gear always cost more than I could buy a new one for and I would still need the wood, wiring, paint, tires, ect. I don't know how they do it?:confused2:
OEM discounts of 30% on 5.5 ton air suspended axles, up to 55% on light rubber torsion axles.

/ Built my own trailer / Introduction #6  
Really really really nice trailer, nothing better than building something exactly as you want it.

I'm hoping to fall onto an old travel trailer, where I can get a good tandem axle frame from. I'd hit the jackpot if I found surge brakes, I hate to wire controller into truck, just not fun and not transferable easily from truck to truck.

I need to put together something to carry my 6000lb TLB, but I move it so rarely that I don't want to spend much on the trailer.

My last trailer was a tri axle 9 ton which I complete rebuilt the undercarage.

Your paint job, at least on the fender, looks really really shiny, how do you do that? I have no idea how to paint, I painted my trailer with brush.

Love the lift assist, supper smart build and great post.

Thanks,
Joel

/ Built my own trailer / Introduction #7  
Very nice trailer! I especially like the gate lift assist system and the paint job is the icing on the cake. You sir are a craftsman.

/ Built my own trailer / Introduction #8  
Very nice job!

/ Built my own trailer / Introduction #9  
Very nice trailer. I built a 6X12 myself recently. It is in my shed primed and ready for paint and wood floor. Mine is upside down right now. I plan on putting an extra coat underneath. The main frame is 3X3X3/16 and the crossmembers are 2X2X1/4. The only thing I have had to buy so far is the hitch. Like you said, it takes a little extra time and effort to find parts for free. For brobably about $200.00 mine will be done. I have to buy the lumber.