Bed for equipment trailer

/ Bed for equipment trailer #1  

aj2n

Tractor
New Holland TL80
Hey guys I've got an equipment trailer that I need to put a new bed on the wood floor that is on it right now is hard wood probably oak (considering most hardwood beds I've seen are oak). But it's started rotting out and I was hopping to get some opinions about whether or not to use treated lumber or hard wood to replace the bed. Also how thick should the floor be if I'm trying to haul a dozer and a 80 horse tractor on it. The boards that are on it are two inches to three inches thick. There are multiple thicknesses. Let me know what you think.

/ Bed for equipment trailer #2  
I would go to a local saw mill and have 2" rough sawn white oak boards made up to your specs. Once down I would give it a good coat of used Diesel Motor Oil and diesel fuel mixed in about 3 parts used oil and 1 part fuel and it will last for 20 years.

Chris

/ Bed for equipment trailer #3  
Hey guys I've got an equipment trailer that I need to put a new bed on the wood floor that is on it right now is hard wood probably oak (considering most hardwood beds I've seen are oak). But it's started rotting out and I was hopping to get some opinions about whether or not to use treated lumber or hard wood to replace the bed. Also how thick should the floor be if I'm trying to haul a dozer and a 80 horse tractor on it. The boards that are on it are two inches to three inches thick. There are multiple thicknesses. Let me know what you think.

If you are hauling a metal tracked dozer I would stick with oak. I think PT pine would have trouble with the metal tracks.

However if no dozer, then I would use the PT pine. My PT pine deck is holding up great... but I don't haul metal track machines!

Another option is to deck with PT pine and then put oak "runners" on it for the tracks to run on....

/ Bed for equipment trailer
Also how about pricing difference. It probably varies by region on lumber pricing, but never hurts to ask, just wondering if you guys might know? Which would be cheaper? Also are there any pros and cons for using one over the other?

/ Bed for equipment trailer #5  
I would go to a local saw mill and have 2" rough sawn white oak boards made up to your specs. Once down I would give it a good coat of used Diesel Motor Oil and diesel fuel mixed in about 3 parts used oil and 1 part fuel and it will last for 20 years.

Chris

Re the used diesel oil/diesel fuel mix. Would any oil work? Have a couple quarts of straight 30 that are off-brand and could use here.

Thanks
Greg

/ Bed for equipment trailer #6  
No, it needs to be a used diesel oil.

Chris

/ Bed for equipment trailer #7  
No, it needs to be a used diesel oil.

Chris

I have always heard of people using used engine oil, but never heard someone specifically say used diesel oil... I've always assumed they were using used oil, because it was a waste product, and free vs. new engine oil. Never considered there might be a technical reason for the used oil.

What is the difference in new vs used oil?

/ Bed for equipment trailer #8  
Used diesel oil has more carbon to give it a nice black finish and the oil itself has suspended mettals like copper and zinc which for whatever reason helps with insects. Not really sure but farmers around here have painted barns, trailers, fences, ect for years with great results.

Chris

/ Bed for equipment trailer #9  
Don't know the reason to use diesel oil other than that's was my grandpa told me to use. We have several old hay frames that are 25+yrs old and are as good as day we built them about every 5-8yrs they get a coat. And this thread makes me think I need to coat them again.

/ Bed for equipment trailer #10  
Yep, its just one of them "because I said so things". :D Never questioned it because it works.

Chris