Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma?

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, KubotaL4300, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I am set for a new pickup and will go with a 4wd Toyota. But I need help with Tundra or Tacoma. I have owned both over the years and presently have an '06 2wd base cab V6 Tundra and an '05 2wd V8 CrewMax. The issues are the need for a 4wd truck and the fact I am getting older --63.
It's basically a general purpose vehicle but at times I pull 6500 lbs on a trailer and need the 4wd to help out.
The wife likes the bigger Tundra and the safety such size and airbags affords. It can tow 10,000 lbs but the milage is not good at 13-17. The Tacoma can get 20 mpg with the V6 but is much smaller yet still tow 6600 lbs.

Is there anyone here that bought one and wished they bought the other or has any commentary on either one? I am in a quandry and could use a little feedback.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #2  
Oh good grief sixdogs. Just get the Tundra. You know you want it. At 63, why you fussing over 3 mpg?

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #3  
If you are towing that much regularly go with the Tundra. I can tell you that the 6600lb tow rating for the Tacoma is a little overly optimistic. I've had a Tacoma and now a 3rd gen 4runner,, and neither really liked to tow what they were 'rated' for. They handled the weight ok but just didn't have much power on the hills. Go for the Tundra.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #4  
Being smaller the Tacoma is harder to get in and out of. I got a real good deall on mine because of this. The tow rating on mine is around 3000 lbs or 6 with the tow package, but it seems kinda small for hauling max weight.
Tom

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #5  
I had an '04 Tacoma double-cab. It was OK for what it was. But turned out to be too cramped, too "thin" (doors) & not enough power or towing capacity for my boat. It would pull the boat, but seemed to be about maxed out. Traded it in on my '05 Titan :D Got 78K miles on it now, & still just as happy as day 1 :thumbsup:

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #6  
when i was shopping for a truck i looked at the Tundra and Tacoma. acctually i looked at the Tacoma a bit longer simply because i didn't like the Tundra. it just never grew on me ever since it was introduced in 2007. the only thing that turned me off from buying a CC 4x4, v6 Tacoma was the price($34,000). with Toyota's incentives and what they offered me for a trade-in they were only $2500 cheaper then a CC SLT GMC Sierra 4x4 with the 6.2 when all was said and done and the end numbers were jotted down for me to look over. other then their crazy price, I was truly interested in a Tacoma 4x4 CC with the v6, but it just wasn't meant to be.

with all that said I would go for the Tacoma. that little v6 will fly!

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #7  
Go for a Tundra with the 4.6L V8 instead of the 5.7L. It is a strong engine that will deliver similar if not better mileage than the V6 Tacoma and provide more power and still be able to tow with a decent rating. I've seen some reasonably priced 4.6's on dealer lots.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #8  
I currently have the Tacoma. I have had the Tundra in the past when I had a 7,500lb boat. The Tundra pulled the boat great. I think it is personal preference. I prefer the Tacoma as a daily driver but when pulling something of size/weight I miss my Tundra. Gas mileage between the two was about the same +/- 1.5. The Tacoma is v6 (currently 18.0 mpg), the Tundra was v8, both 4wd, both bad mileage while pulling a trailer.

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #9  
I would get the Tundra and the 5.7. I know a few boaters that have the 4.6 and it leaves a lot to be desired.

My ex-wifes new husband has a Tundra. Just took a ride in it this weekend and its a very nice truck. I will look at them the next time I buy. I tired to buy one back in 08 but Toyota would just not deal so I ended up with a Nissan Titan.

Now if you want a great truck that gets great MPG look at the new F-150 with the Twin Turbo V-6. My dad got one in May. Its loaded, 4x4, Crew Cab, 11,300# tow rating, 3.73 gears, ect. He has averaged 18 mpg so far.

Chris

/ Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma? #10  
My ex-wifes new husband has a Tundra. Just took a ride in it this weekend and its a very nice truck. I will look at them the next time I buy. I tired to buy one back in 08 but Toyota would just not deal so I ended up with a Nissan Titan.

Wow, that could be a thread all on its own :laughing: