Used trailer purchase

/ Used trailer purchase #1  

corwin5

Tractor
TC29D
Howdy to all.
I've always been amazed at the assistance that this board offers to its members.

I've got a few questions that I'd like some input on-
I finally located a decent used 18' 10k lb. tandem axle trailer with brakes on both axles. The trailer is in good shape, but has a couple of minor items that need addressing before inspection.
There is what I'll term a "trailer breakaway switch" mounted on the trailer that has a cable connected to it. It is designed to connect to my truck and in the event that the trailer gets disconnected while towing, the switch will close and a battery mounted on the trailer will provide the voltage to the trailer brakes in order to stop the unit.
The trailer breakaway switch does not operate easily and seems frozen. Any thoughts on where I could get one of these?
Also, the battery is a 12-Volt rechargeable one that is drained, at the moment. I'm going to try and re-charge, but I may need to replace. It occurred to me that I would rather not have to periodically charge the battery, but could wire it to the trailer harness to charge from my truck, when connected. Has anyone seen/tried this?
Also, I'm curious as to exactly what type of mechanism the battery provides to the brakes that are on the trailer. Does it provide the power to a hydraulic actuator, or something of the like?
Thanks for the assistance,
Rob

/ Used trailer purchase #4  
Hey Rob,

Trailer brakes are kind of neat though a lot of people seem to swear at them. They work with electromagnets. The current your contoller puts out energizes an electromagnet that starts dragging on the inside face of the brake drum. The magnet is attached to a lever. The more magnetic force, the more force into the lever. The lever then actuates the regular brake shoes which contact the brake drum like any other drum brake. It's pretty ingenious but there are additional parts to service. The magnets wear just like brake shoes and there is another wear surface on the drum to clean up.

The breakaway battery should keep itself charged by being hooked up to your truck. The switch should be cheap to replace. All parts can be found through an RV or trailer dealer /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Used trailer purchase #5  
I would try http://www.championtrailers.com I have a cataloge and it has most things for trailers. Another one is redneck trailer supply. They have everything in the catalog but last time I visited the website is was not good.

I assume you have electric brakes with this trailer and the 12V battery would give plenty of power to work the breaks if the trailer did get away.

I am still looking for a trailer for my tractor. I can find horse trailers and boat trailers here without a problem but no used equipment trailers. The places I have checked want about $3500 for a new 20' 10K GVW trailer. I guess I will keep on looking.

Steve

/ Used trailer purchase #6  
Rob:

One other thing:
You will also need a brake controller which will mount inside your tow vehicle. There are several technologies but basically they sense when you apply your tow vehicle brakes and then they turn on your trailer brakes in such a way as to apply enough braking power but not lock up the trailer brakes.

You can get controllers at all the same places you can get the brakeaway switch.