Hand Picked Trucks, leon va

/ Hand Picked Trucks, leon va #1  

flyingcow

Veteran Member
Anybody ever heard of Hand Picked Western Trucks out of Leon Va? Been dealing with them by phone. Sounds legit. Good or bad info? Been poking around on the internet and haven't found much.
Thanks

/ Hand Picked Trucks, leon va #2  
a buddy of mine purchased from them a few years back. good to work with, and nive vehicles. i was thinking about looking at the jeep they have.

/ Hand Picked Trucks, leon va
Seem to be on the up and up, as far as I have looked into them.Prices are a tad bit higher than I would like, but if the bottom is as rust free as they claim it will be a keeper.

i've only found 1 complaint(via internet), and it looks like could have been blamed on the transporter. Sending down deposit money today, or first thing am. probably will fly down fri. Time will tell. Be nice to buy a used truck with no rust.

/ Hand Picked Trucks, leon va #6  
That is a nice looking truck. Nice also that its a 3500. The 2500 really leaves a lot to be desired in payload/tongue weight capacity.

The wheels and lift make it. The install of the airlift is also very clean. I like the way they put the gauge and switches in the cubby hole that is pretty much worthless.

Also looks like it has a B&W flip over ball installed. That is a nice hitch. I have installed quite a few but the first thing I would to is remove it, de-rust any areas that are rusting, then paint it with a good implement paint or undercoat. While B&W makes a great hitch the paint aint worth a dammmm. Everyone I have installed is rusting badly. Now we paint them before installing.

Looks really well maintained and taken care of.

It will have a 9,900# GVWR and the truck weighs about 7,200# empty, 7,400# with a driver. This leaves you a honest 2,500# payload or pin capacity. This is why so many guys around here chose SRW 1 tons versus 3/4 tons around here. Matter of fact most dealers stock more SRW 1 tons around here versus 3/4 tons because they have learned also. This is not true with many areas I travel to. The still seem to want to stock the 3/4 tons which just does not make sense.

One thing I would look at though is the tire ratings and wheel ratings. One of my customers wanted to put 20" wheels on his 3500 SRW Dmax and in researching it the tires did not have the load capacity the factory tires/wheels had.

Chris

/ Hand Picked Trucks, leon va #7  
   / Hand Picked Trucks, leon va
Thanks Diamondpilot, I will do as noted on the BnW hitch.

I was hoping he had the original rims. I had the same thoughts on rating. I haven't done much heavy towing with my 1/2tons I've had, but they've all had 10plys put on. but I alsways at one time or another loaded the bed down. Also, I do tend to go into the woods quite a bit, and the sidwall ply were is important as overall ratings for that. Slice a sidewall easily creeping thru the woods. But I also will look at rim ratings also. I will eventually be hauling a 10,000lb tractor, hopefully with a gooseneck trailer. I drive trk for a living, normally haul 100,000lb gross. It all ends where the rubber meets the road.

I'll see how I like the lift. I know I'll like it in the winter.

/ Hand Picked Trucks, leon va #9  
That truck and the woods will not do well. I had a 05 just like its, same color and everything and my neighbor has a 07 just like it. Both were 3500 Dmax. They have poor ground clearance, yours will be better with the lift, and poor turning radius. There is a big cross member hanging down low on the GM trucks that would get hung up on my 05 where my 04 F-250 and my 06 F-350 do not get hung up but they are also extended cab and short beds so they have a slightly shorter wheel base.

I think your only option if you are going in the woods is to keep the lift. Now that will lead to a issue with a GN so watch that. I see lots of guys around here that have lifted trucks and virtually no clearance between the bed rails/tail gate and the 5th wheels and GN trailers they tow. Its a catch 22...

Chris