Northern Tool Wagon

/ Northern Tool Wagon #1  

MIKE R

Elite Member
Tractor
Many
What do you all think of the 2200 lbs running gear from Northern Tool?

I am thinking of buying one to put my Hit and Miss engine on but need to know the speed rating as I would be pulling it down the road to a local show with my antique tractor.

The wagon looks like its built strong and has a good customer review rating with peoples thoughts on what they would improve on it.

Any other thoughts or comments on the running gear would be appreciated.

Here's a link to it on there website
Farm-Tuff Utility Trailer 2200-Lb. Capacity, Model# 03813 | Farm Utility Trailers | Northern Tool + Equipment

/ Northern Tool Wagon #2  
Looking at the way the wheels are held on (cotter pins) I wouldn't exceed 10mph with it.

Aaron Z

/ Northern Tool Wagon #3  
I bought the same wagon about ten years ago. I thought it was marginal at best. I think if you keep the loads well under the 2200 pounds its rated for you would be fine. But the bearings and the steering linkage are the weak points. I had to put tubes in all 4 tires to avoid having to re-inflate every few weeks.

I built a mini hayrack for mine and made the mistake of loading it with oak firewood. The cheap flimsy tie rods didn't survive.

I think the wagon would make a good yard wagon if you know its limitations. Its also possible that the wagon has been improved upon since I bought mine.

/ Northern Tool Wagon #4  
Be mindful that even the best wagons don't do well at road speeds. 25mph is top end. A trailer may be a better solution.
Mike

/ Northern Tool Wagon #5  
I bought the same wagon from Harbor Freight 7 years ago and have overloaded it more times then I care to mention. I once had a entire pallet of sac-crete on it, 60 bags at 60# each.

I put 2 2x6 runners under it and then decked it 4' by 8' with 2x6's. Its stout. I have never had a problem with the tires, tie rods, or anything. I pull it all the time at about 15 mph going to get hay with my tractor a few miles. I also haul tons of fire wood on it with no issues.

I think I paid $169 though with free shipping coupon from HF.

Chris

Last edited:
   / Northern Tool Wagon #6  
I own that running gear as well and built hay wagon with it, it holds a full load of hay well but I wouldn't go over 10mph with it.

/ Northern Tool Wagon #7  
I bought the same one in the fall of 2003. I made it into a hay rack about 5 by 9 foot. The wheels will need tubes in order to stay inflated. The grease zerks on the wheels were the wrong size so they needed replacing. The steering linkage is terrible, loose as a goose. Mine has a place inside to spend the winter but is outside the other 9 months of the year and is holding up fairly well. I think if you pull it too far too fast with too much weight it will fail too soon. I am content with mine but I wish I had bought a higher quality one!

Attachments

• brush & muffin 001.jpg
    brush & muffin 001.jpg
    769.4 KB · Views: 600
   / Northern Tool Wagon
Thanks For the input on the wagon. The show ground is only 1.5 miles from my house so the wagon won't be going any great distance and the engine only weighs about 250 lbs, but the weight or the flywheels going round shakes the crap out of a little 2.5' by 4' garden wagon. And the tractor I would be pulling it with does 11 mph in top gear.

/ Northern Tool Wagon
Thought I would give you all a update. I got the wagon a few months ago built a 4' x 8' deck on it and put the engine on it. I pulled it to a local show at the beginning of the month and it worked great. I did not go fast with the wagon as 10 mph with the tractor made the wheels seemed a little wobly. It did not jump at all/rock back and fourth with the engine running up top it. Thanks for all you input.