Drive on ramps--plastic vs. steel

/ Drive on ramps--plastic vs. steel #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
The local Menards is advertising a pair of plastic drive on vehicle ramps that they claim have an 8000 pound capacity. I use a pair of steel ramps that are rated the same, and while I may be wrong, steel will deform if too much stress is placed on it, and I would be uncomfortable using the plastic ramps as I think they would break from being overstressed. Will have to look at them while shopping today. Anyone here have a set of the plastic ramps?

And no, I wouldn't overload any ramp, the most I would place on a pair is maybe 3500 lbs. Yet I would still worry about the plastic ones.

/ Drive on ramps--plastic vs. steel #2  
I've looked at these, too. My concern would be temperature and UV exposure effects. They might be OK when new, but fail as they age.

/ Drive on ramps--plastic vs. steel #3  
I have a pair of the low approach angle plastic ones that I use a couple times a year for the occasional low vehicle I might need a quick look under, as with any ramps I chock the rear wheels and set jack stands before getting under any vehicle.

/ Drive on ramps--plastic vs. steel #4  
I had the metal ones like everyone else did for the last 30 years.

I gave away the metal ones a few years ago when I didn't need them. This year I decided I needed ramps again, saw the plastic ones, and how well they appear to be made and didn't hesitate to buy them.

I got the heavier set 12,000 lb (GVW). A little deceptive advertising, which I think is dangerous, they list them by GVW, but the ramps are only rated at 3,000 each 6,000 per set. which is fine for my smaller vehicles.

Just cost more than the metal, but I think I'd trust them over the metal.

UV could be a concern, but of course they don't care about rain/ rust/corrosion.

I don't know what Menards is but I got mine from pep boys, probably the same chi stuff though.

Welcome to RhinoRamps®

JB

/ Drive on ramps--plastic vs. steel #5  
I have a set from Menards I got10 years ago. I have had everything I own on them but my Super Dutys. Not because I am scared but because the set high enough. Will never go back to metal ones.

Chris

/ Drive on ramps--plastic vs. steel #6  
The local Menards is advertising a pair of plastic drive on vehicle ramps that they claim have an 8000 pound capacity. I use a pair of steel ramps that are rated the same, and while I may be wrong, steel will deform if too much stress is placed on it, and I would be uncomfortable using the plastic ramps as I think they would break from being overstressed. Will have to look at them while shopping today. Anyone here have a set of the plastic ramps?

And no, I wouldn't overload any ramp, the most I would place on a pair is maybe 3500 lbs. Yet I would still worry about the plastic ones.

Or, consider aluminum ramps like these

Automobile Trailer Ramps & Ramp Systems

I use 10 ft long x 16" wide aluminum ramps to load my parade tractors onto my Isuzu NPR stakebed. Like you, the max weight of my tractors is about 3500 lb. Those ramps weigh 49 lb each and are rated at 5000 lb per axle (8500 lb max).

DSCF0048 (Small).JPG

/ Drive on ramps--plastic vs. steel #7  
Boeing's dreamliner is plastic or new space age polymars, I guess car ramps would be ok:laughing:

/ Drive on ramps--plastic vs. steel #8  
Or, consider aluminum ramps like these
Automobile Trailer Ramps & Ramp Systems
I use 10 ft long x 16" wide aluminum ramps to load my parade tractors onto my Isuzu NPR stakebed. Like you, the max weight of my tractors is about 3500 lb. Those ramps weigh 49 lb each and are rated at 5000 lb per axle (8500 lb max).
View attachment 233783

I think they are talking about ramps to drive a car onto to get under it (like this) rather than ones to load something with.

Aaron Z

/ Drive on ramps--plastic vs. steel #9  
I feel very safe with the plastic ramps. Take a look underneath and see how they are made. A side force would worry me but I think you could say the same about the metal ramps unless they are the older heavy metal ones. Make sure the surface is flat when using them.

/ Drive on ramps--plastic vs. steel
I had the metal ones like everyone else did for the last 30 years.

I gave away the metal ones a few years ago when I didn't need them. This year I decided I needed ramps again, saw the plastic ones, and how well they appear to be made and didn't hesitate to buy them.

I got the heavier set 12,000 lb (GVW). A little deceptive advertising, which I think is dangerous, they list them by GVW, but the ramps are only rated at 3,000 each 6,000 per set. which is fine for my smaller vehicles.

Just cost more than the metal, but I think I'd trust them over the metal.

UV could be a concern, but of course they don't care about rain/ rust/corrosion.

I don't know what Menards is but I got mine from pep boys, probably the same chi stuff though.

Welcome to RhinoRampsョ

JB

Menards is a big box home center chain, much like Lowes and Home Depot, but they have a HUGE outdoor lumberyard.