Balance Trailer Tires

/ Balance Trailer Tires #1  

oldballs

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 , Case 448 , Kubota B2650
I just mounted four new trailer tires. And then it occured that I didn't ask for balancing. Usually I'm hauling around 2-3 tons of rock, or gravel at less than 55 mph. They weren't balanced before and seemed to ride okay. Thanks y'all. Mike

/ Balance Trailer Tires #2  
I know a lot of people don't balance trailer tires, but I do.

/ Balance Trailer Tires #3  
Sometimes you get lucky and don't need them balanced. I just bought 4 new wheels and tires for my trailer. I did put them on a bubble balancer. Mine were not off by much. I only added 1/2 oz to 3 tires and 1 oz to the 4th. If the tires are out of balance by several ounces it could cause a problem.

/ Balance Trailer Tires #4  
I havnt ballanced mine but i intend to when i replace the tires.

I know its much more common on RV trailers so they dont bounce all the crap around in the RV as bad.

/ Balance Trailer Tires #6  
Most places around here do not balance them but I make them do it. I can tell you for a fact my 7K car hauler would shake the crap out of my F-350 when empty. It was fine with a car or tractor on it. One day I was on my way to pick up a car and it was beating me up. I saw a tire store and pulled in and asked them to balance them. $20 later it was smooth as could be empty. Wish I would have done it years ago. Now I always balance.

Chris

Last edited:
   / Balance Trailer Tires #7  
the best term I heard was an RV is a rolling earthquake:laughing:. and yes ALWAYS balance ANY tire that is used on the highway.

I know its much more common on RV trailers so they dont bounce all the crap around in the RV as bad.

/ Balance Trailer Tires #8  
I put a set of Michelin XPS Ribs on my dump trailer 235/75/16. High dollar but was fed up with chinese trailer tire failures..
Anyway asked the dealer to balance them, went to pick them up and they weren't. They said naaah...trailer tires don't need it.:confused:
I insisted and was amazed at how much weight it took! I figure it is mostly the cheap trailer rims as my experience is Michelins usually take very little weight on my powered vehicles...
Picked up one of those HF bubble balancers a few weeks back on sale...gonna check my multitude of other trailer tires as I get time..if any are a little off they'll get balanced by me, if a lot off I'll have them spin balanced.

/ Balance Trailer Tires #9  
I have always had my trailer tires balanced, I had a friend years ago who was a researcher for a major tire company and he had all kinds of data on damage sustained vibration could do to vehicles etc, I figure for a few bucks it is worth it.

/ Balance Trailer Tires
Wished I'd had them balance now. It was the dealer who said that it wasn't necessary. Maybe he sells more trailer tires that way.:....Too soon old....to late smart.....and I'm running out of time.:(