Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4400, '48 B and 318

Default 7 pin connector corroded?

OK, on every trailer I've owned (two....) pins five and six (left and right turn signal) connector pins on the trailer ALWAYS get corroded, even though they don't get wet. What the heck?

What are the chances the onboard trailer battery is causing some kind of galvanic action to cause the corrosian? As of now I'm disconnecting the 12V battery when the trailer is not in use, this problem comes up once a year....

Is it just me or does anyone else run into this?

Wayne

Tractor
    GC1720 TLB

Default Re: 7 pin connector corroded?

Probably moisture from the roadway. I used to have that problem but I solved it by using a conductive gel from Advanced Auto and put it on the trailer connection so when I plug it in it puts the gel right where it needs to be! It is conductive so I only put a dab on each of the 7 pins. Seems to work great!
    Robert

GC1720 TLB

Take-offs are optional but landings are mandatory!
    Blood goes round and round; air goes in and out. Any deviation of these two is a problem!

Platinum Member High Compression's Avatar
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740-3/ Kubota ZD21 pro60

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne_H View Post
    OK, on every trailer I've owned (two....) pins five and six (left and right turn signal) connector pins on the trailer ALWAYS get corroded, even though they don't get wet. What the heck?

What are the chances the onboard trailer battery is causing some kind of galvanic action to cause the corrosian? As of now I'm disconnecting the 12V battery when the trailer is not in use, this problem comes up once a year....

Is it just me or does anyone else run into this?

Wayne
    I always have the same problem. Less on the 7 ways, more so on 6 ways. Matter of fact I've converted all 10 of my trailers to 7 ways. A little dielectric grease helps, and what position your plug is stored in, I have found, makes a difference of how much rain gets into it.
    "It is better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it."

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Put dielectric grease one then plugs and that will end you problems.

You must clean them up first.

Chris

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2620 (2012)

This is my experience on a 6 (?) pin trailer. Even new it made poor connection. I figured it was corrosion and used a battery terminal wire brush to shine it up. But later I noticed that the connection would always work if the sag in the connection was lifted with a zip tie or cord to hold the line up. A hole in the bumper where the spare tire jack-rod was a handy to place to tie it "up". Cheers. Mike
    Kubota B2620 HST

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4400, '48 B and 318

Guys: I have tried the dielectric grease route, I really don't see much difference with that.

But, these connectors have seven pins.... why is there corrosion only on the two pins used for the left and right signal (and brake lights)? That is some kind of clue, the metal does not turn green on its own (at least the other five pins don't...)

Just fishing for ideas, I always keep it dry and it does not get moisture in the connector.

regards

Wayne

What do you use to protect from road spray and humidty in the air?
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Tractor
    Kubota l245dt, l3540, 8N

Have you disconnected the plug and then checked it with a ohms meter to see if there is any stray current present? With everything shut off there should not be any current except on the positive battery supply line.
    "keep them pots black, shiny, and full of good Food and Fellowship!"
    Moore Cookie

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

i pack my connectors with grease unde rthe caps..

soundguy

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 68, Honda H3011H

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne_H View Post
    Guys: I have tried the dielectric grease route, I really don't see much difference with that.

But, these connectors have seven pins.... why is there corrosion only on the two pins used for the left and right signal (and brake lights)? That is some kind of clue, the metal does not turn green on its own (at least the other five pins don't...)

Just fishing for ideas, I always keep it dry and it does not get moisture in the connector.

regards

Wayne
    My guess would be that those two circuits see the highest current and a much higher number of "on" and "off" cycles. If the contact pressure between the male and female terminals is not adequate, it would be just like switch contacts arcing. What I would do is thoroughly clean the terminals inside and out with steel wool and spread the male terminals a bit with a knife blade. This will increase the contact pressure. Then, coat the terminals with dielectric grease to make it easier to insert the plug with the spread terminals and also keep out moisture. What someone else said earlier about supporting the connector also makes sense, because that would reduce vibration "fretting" the terminals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast