Ramps vs. Tilt deck

/ Ramps vs. Tilt deck #1  

High Compression

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740-3/ Kubota ZD21 pro60
Looking for some experience with tilt deck trailers. I use my trailers just as much in the snow as in the summer. I really like the idea of not messing with ramps, but my concern with getting tilt deck trailers, is loading and unloading in snowy/icy conditions. Anyone have any experience with this?

/ Ramps vs. Tilt deck #2  
I have used a tilt deck trailer and did not like it for me. When I had mud or wet tires it felt very unsafe. I also like loading other implements on the trailer first with the loader then put the tractor on. Very tough with a tilt deck.

To me a tilt deck is for a guy with a classic car who only takes it out in good weather. Ramps are fool proof, not as much trouble as many think they are, and always work. They are also much lighter. A 18' tilt deck trailer can be as much as 500# heavier.

Get a low boy trailer like mine with no dove tail and rear slide in ramps. My trailer is 18' long and only 14" deck height. With 5' ramps my angle is very low. I have no issue loading Corvettes if that gives you a idea. I can pull the pins and have the ramps in place in about 20 seconds each if I take my time and store the pins. Usually 30 seconds total for the ramps to come out or back in.

Wood deck is also the only way to go for slippery situations. Never seen a tilt with a wood deck, only steel.

Chris

/ Ramps vs. Tilt deck #3  
Fold up ramps work well for me.:thumbsup: BTW Chris a guy I work with has an 18' tilt with wood deck.

Attachments

• DSCN2457.jpg
    DSCN2457.jpg
    601.7 KB · Views: 3,061
   / Ramps vs. Tilt deck #4  
I have an H&H equipment tilt bed trailer with a wood deck. I feel a winch is a necessity for loading along with remotes for the winch and the tilt if you work alone.

They are a pain if you haul mostly multiple items as in if you need to load something (with wheels), tie it down and load something else.

The main reason I went tilt deck was because I sometimes haul my scissors lift and forklift. They can be more of a pain for other things and dangerous if you work alone without the remotes.

Picture loading a tractor with somewhat bad brakes. With a ramp trailer you drive up and go level and no issues. With a tilt deck you have to hold the tractor on the incline and lower the bed, hard to do without the right options or a helper you trust.

/ Ramps vs. Tilt deck
I've had no issue with my ramp trailers. I'm going to upgrade to aluminum trailers, cuz of salt during snow season, and was considering tilt decks with a front stationary vs. ramps. You guys are confirming what my gut was telling me. Thanks for taking the time to help out a fellow TBN'r.

/ Ramps vs. Tilt deck #6  
Like Bigkrank I also have an H&H car hauling tilt bed. Mine is a 20'er, 82" between the fenders, with power up and gravity down. I like it and have used it winter and summer. The tilt angle isn't that much, maybe 10-15 degrees. I have a winch as well. In winter I usually carry a small pail of cat litter to put on the deck if slippery but haven't had to use it since 2005 when I bought the trailer. I don't have a place to keep it inside so I have to shovel off the snow if I want to use it in winter. Mostly use for hauling the tractor but have hauled many cars and trucks as well.

Last edited:
   / Ramps vs. Tilt deck #7  
I guess I though we were talking car hauler trailers, not equipment trailers. I have seen wood deck tilt equipment trailers.

Chirs

/ Ramps vs. Tilt deck #8  
I also like loading other implements on the trailer first with the loader then put the tractor on.
1*Very tough with a tilt deck.

2*They are a pain if you haul mostly multiple items as in if you need to load something (with wheels), tie it down and load something else.
1* & 2*Add hyd tilt and a winch and ramps..

/ Ramps vs. Tilt deck #10  
Our 21' has a beaver tail and ramps. The nice thing is that the ramps are removable.

I regularly use the trailer without the ramps for hauling recycled cardboard.

It is fairly easy to put the ramps on to load the tractor.

Here are a couple things I have found with the ramp trailer that I probably would not try with a tilt:

I had the ramps off and needed to load the tractor. I was able to back the wheels in a depression and use the FEL to lift the tractor front and get the front wheels on then just drove the tractor on.

When I went to unload, I just un-hitched the trailer from the truck and backed off. I let the front of the trailer go up and used the FEL to control the front of the trailer to the ground by pressing on the back and lowering it slowly.

I did this instead of putting the ramps on because I needed the trailer the next day with the ramps off and didn't want to have to put them on/off.

I will stick with the ramps for my equipment.