My Dodges actual fuel mileage.

/ My Dodges actual fuel mileage. #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
Well I hand checked the mileage of my new to me Dodge. The computer was showing 21.1 mpg on the fill up, which I thought was optimistic. It hand calculated to 15 mpg. Something is wrong with the trip computer, but I'm not sure what. I have a Edge chip, I'm not sure if that is messing it up or not. This was half rural driving and city driving.

The truck is a 2004 Dodge 3/4 ton, Quad Cab, 4 wheel drive short bed with the 24 valve Cummins with 4.10 gears.

/ My Dodges actual fuel mileage. #2  
I have never hand calculated mine. I didn't buy it for mileage. I bought it for the power it has vs gasoline. Mine also shows about the same as yours & mine has 373 gears

/ My Dodges actual fuel mileage. #3  
Mine does the same on an 09 F250. It usually tells me I got 15mpg pulling my horse trailer when I really got about 12mpg.

/ My Dodges actual fuel mileage. #4  
Are the tires stock size?

It's very easy to get the wrong numbers when hand calculating too! My process is to use the same gas station and same pump. I fill up using the auto shutoff on the pump handle and let it fill up slowly until it clicks, then do that two more times until it clicks for the third time. Then I reset my second trip which shows tenths and drive on. When its close to a 1/4 tank and no less, I go back to the same pump and same station and fill up again using the three clicks technique. I try to do it with the same weather and temps approx and never below 1/4 tank as the pump could click off too soon due to excess vapor.

If you still get the same, I would not be too surprised since you have a tuner and 4.10 gearing...

/ My Dodges actual fuel mileage. #5  
yeah... they are optomistic...
BUT, i have noticed that if I leave it alone for about a month, when I average it out over that span its MUCh more accurate...

/ My Dodges actual fuel mileage.
I'm pretty sure tires are stock. My first thought was the odometer was off, but I drove a known distance of 2.5 miles and it seemed o.k. On the trip odometer. The only thing I can think of if I reset the trip odometer at some point.

/ My Dodges actual fuel mileage. #7  
Nobody buys a full size pick up for the mileage:confused:

/ My Dodges actual fuel mileage. #9  
dodge man said:
Well I hand checked the mileage of my new to me Dodge. The computer was showing 21.1 mpg on the fill up, which I thought was optimistic. It hand calculated to 15 mpg. Something is wrong with the trip computer, but I'm not sure what. I have a Edge chip, I'm not sure if that is messing it up or not. This was half rural driving and city driving.

The truck is a 2004 Dodge 3/4 ton, Quad Cab, 4 wheel drive short bed with the 24 valve Cummins with 4.10 gears.

The DIC (Driver information center.) is NEVER Accurate. Do it by hand, from fill up to fill up.

/ My Dodges actual fuel mileage. #10  
Nobody buys a full size pick up for the mileage:confused:
Actually, I kinda did. My 3/4 ton Dodge CTD gets better fuel economy than my 1/2 ton Suburban ever did, empty or full. The difference is even enough to make up for the difference in prices between gas and diesel. Plus, I was just way overloading the poor 'burb. Power, load rating and economy together! :cool::thumbsup:

Joe