Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best?

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #1  

MossflowerWoods

Tractor
Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, Gravely 60" ZTR Mower. Stihl MS290 (selling), CS261, & FS190 + Echo CS400 & 2010 F-350 6.4 PSD snowplow truck
Guys,

As much as I hate to say it, my good looking and running 2001 2WD F-150 is not going to cut it. I just passed 100K on it too...

My only choice will be used, and in fact I will need a good deal so I will be looking for a while. But I need to know how to recognize a great truck when it appears.

Also, I am a Ford guy. Nothing personal, no bashing, but I will not buy another brand (maybe a sweet 1970 chev :thumbsup: but that is for show, not for tow). Sorry, it is just the way I am wired.

I want to be able to tow my tractor and a horse trailer with a couple horses.

I NEED 4x4 and 4-door at a minimum.

I WANT to be able to drive it and park it if I need to for work which is a LONG 60 to 75 mile one way commute with some of the worst traffic in the USA (I-95N from VA into DC) and into dense parking lots or airport lots etc.

I think I want Diesel, but I'm not sure. I think I'd prefer SRW and I'm fine with less than an 8' bed, but I think I want to pull gooseneck trailers. So...

I'm also pretty sure this list means I am totally insane, crazy, etc...

So... is it a 2006 with 6.7? is it a 1989 with 7.3? Gas or Diesel???

Please give me some guidance so when I start looking I will know what is worth buying, and more importantly, what to avoid buying.

Thanks in advance,
David

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #2  
I was going through the same thing you are now about a month ago, I ended up buying a 2002 f-350 with a 5.4 liter gas engine in it. needless to say It has been a good truck but if I could do It over my next truck would certainly have the 7.3 liter diesel in it, I just could not find one in my area for a decent price when I was looking. personally I would not buy a 6.0 liter diesel but thats just my opinion.

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best?
Chris,

I have the 5.4 gas in my 2001 F-150. It is a solid motor, but with only 265 HP I'm not sure I can imagine towing a really heavy load with it.

How does it do?
David

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #4  
The 6.0, you either get a good one or a bad one....Personally I would stay away.
6.7 in stock form is a fuel hog, have read with the performance adders/chips fuel mileage can be increased. The only one I have experience with was 3/4 ton we had at work...average 14 mpg and loaded down with 5k on traler would drop to single digits mpg. Its a powerhouse though
7.3 powerstrokes- hard to beat, injectors aint cheap for any powerstroke.
7.3 idi turbo- one of my favorites, not near the power of the above mentioned
but cheaper parts and can get the job done.
7.3 IDI N/A- run forever, cheap parts, low on towing power, but it will get the job done, just expect to keep your foot on the floor all day.

Be sure to checkout the new 6.2 gas truck, drove a company truck to Williston N. Dakota a couple weekends ago, it was a team driver deal. We left Corpus 5:30 friday afternoon and were back Monday morning @ 2am. Truck averaged 15 mpg and we were running hard. Have drivin it on normal trips and hit high 16mpg to best of 17. Hauled a crewcab ford on a trailer with it and average 11+ mpg. I have always been diesel guy, but after driving this truck.....thinking I want one.

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #5  
As you know I have two 6.0's and never a day of issues with either. Better than I can say for my neighbors 07 Dmax that just got the Allison removed for the second time getting a input shaft seal fixed this time around.

I love my 06 F-350 SRW Diesel. Its a beast.

I would get a 05 or later F-350SRW truck. They had better steering, better front suspension, and the 6.0 was a good motor at that point but the early reputation still followed.

Chris

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #6  
food for thought

If cash is an issue, (which it was for me) you can find an E350 van for about 1/3 of what the same truck goes for.

My E350 van tows my 10K equipment trailer just fine with the large V8 and a WD hitch.

They also sell a diesel version.

My 12 pass van that was used by a church was MUCH better cared for than the standard panel van used by most utility/contractors.

The down side is it only gets about 15mpg round town (i hear the diesel guys can get 20) but i suppose thats no worse than the gas pickups of the same size.

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #7  
That is a tall order but doable in this economy, many guys are looking to downgrade their trucks to a lower payment. I would hit up a few dealers to get the word out and when you find one I would get a complete warranty history printout as well as a car fax. I am also a fan of the 7.3 as long as it was serviced properly and not hammered too bad.

As you know I have two 6.0's and never a day of issues with either. Better than I can say for my neighbors 07 Dmax that just got the Allison removed for the second time getting a input shaft seal fixed this time around.

I love my 06 F-350 SRW Diesel. Its a beast.

I would get a 05 or later F-350SRW truck. They had better steering, better front suspension, and the 6.0 was a good motor at that point but the early reputation still followed.

Chris

Chris,

05-06 was what I was hoping for. New enough to be in decent shape, old enough to maybe have a reasonable price.

Thanks,
David

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #9  
Just wondering what you consider a reasonable price. I am always looking and verrry rarely find a reasonable price and a decent truck like you describe in the same add. Another thing to consider, 2 of my associates bought diesels at a reasonable price that had "minor" issues. They both spent as much or more than they paid for the truck to get them fixed. They both work great now but spending a little more than you want might be more economic in the long run. Good luck in your efforts. Persistence may work for you.

Just wondering what you consider a reasonable price. I am always looking and verrry rarely find a reasonable price and a decent truck like you describe in the same add. Another thing to consider, 2 of my associates bought diesels at a reasonable price that had "minor" issues. They both spent as much or more than they paid for the truck to get them fixed. They both work great now but spending a little more than you want might be more economic in the long run. Good luck in your efforts. Persistence may work for you.

Prof,

I do not have a price idea yet. First I need to determine what I am looking for, then I will see what that means in price and availability.

I need to study the market. I tend to spend more, not get the cheapest I can find, so I agree I will MUCH RATHER take a higher priced, no known issues truck vs a cheaper one that "needs lovin"...

But I had no target (Aim at nothing and hit it every time).

Now I am beginning to gain target resolution.

Thanks,
David