Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16E on a 14K trailer

/ Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16E on a 14K trailer #1  

bluehog

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35D 2001
Hey everyone... looking for input from those who have used the Mich XPS LT235/85R16E for your trailers.

My situation... October '10 I was recommended and purchased Greenball transmaster ST235/80R16E rated at 3500lbs. for my 22' tandem 7K axle flatdeck tilt trailer. Once when I was fully loaded I went to the scales, the trailer axle was just over 13K. After (3) 600 mile roundtrips (10/10, 5/11, 9/11) to my NewMexico property I lost two tires (left front, right rear) within 50 miles to tread seperation. Luckily I had 2 spares... but very frustrating and a tiring ordeal. :mad: Upon removal and inspection of the remaining 2 tires I found cracking down in the undertread and a couple places I could see the steel belts. Dates on the tires showed 0310, so they were a 1.5 years old from manufacturing. I maintained the tire pressures @80psi, drive at 55-60mph, Always use the Equalizer weight distribution hitch, axles are placed on jacks when not in use along with tire pressures dropped down @50psi, no sun gets on them due to the full deck.

I took my loose tires to my dealer, who agreed that it was probably a bad batch and would give me full tire credit (minus labor charges). When he went to recommend tires there were little to no choices @3500lbs. We came to sam conclusion that many of you have as well... the China stuff is unreliable and the ST grade is as well. They stated they have never seen a quality LT come apart on a trailer. So it was determined that was the best route to go. So I asked what the best was... which was how I ended up with the Michilen XPS Rib. I have not mounted them on the trailer yet as I now notice the load rating @3042lbs x4= 12168lbs. making me short 1832lbs for gross max for trailer.

So the question.... what to do? Have any of you knowingly used this tire overloaded? I know that I was surprised at my weight the first time I went to scales... and I'm sure I have been overloaded at some time unknowingly! Any advice... especially those who have this tire would be most appreciated.

/ Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16E on a 14K trailer #2  
Dont forget to add in your hitch weight to get to your max GVW. What does the tag say on the trailer for max LBS ? What about going to a 245 size ?

/ Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16E on a 14K trailer #3  
That's what I use on my 10 ton trailer but it has 8 tires. Go ahead and use them, I don't know of anything better in a 16 inch rim size. I just bought 4 new ones because they started to dry rot from the sun after 8yrs but no blowout's.:thumbsup:

/ Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16E on a 14K trailer #4  
I've had them on pickups but never on trailers. Never heard anything bad about them, I wish they came in more sizes. They're very heavy-duty tires, steel sidewalls and steel belts. I considered them for my dual-tandem gooseneck when I replaced tires this past summer but the price was double what I ended up paying for eight BF Goodrich Commercial TA's. If you put a lot of miles on a trailer the XPS ribs are the tire to use.

/ Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16E on a 14K trailer #5  
I run the XPS ribs on my 14,000+ dump trailer. Went through several chinese tires first.
No problems since with the XPS ribs, and I pump them to about 90 when expecting a full load.

/ Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16E on a 14K trailer #6  
It is weird you had the trouble with the Greenballs. I am in the trailer business and its the only tire we have found that last other than Maxxis and Gladiators.

Goodyears were good in the 90's but now junk.
Carlisle have always been junk.
Other Chinese tires were hit or miss.

Chris

/ Michelin XPS RIB LT235/85R16E on a 14K trailer
Dont forget to add in your hitch weight to get to your max GVW. What does the tag say on the trailer for max LBS ? What about going to a 245 size ?

Guess I have definitely been overloaded a bit as the GVWR is 14000lb and I know I had my tongue weight set at 1300lb.

As for the 245's... although they had the same weight rating I would certainly have liked that option for the diameter as it was closer to my two spares... Michelin rim width range for those is 6.5"-8" I only have 6" wide rims :(

That's what I use on my 10 ton trailer but it has 8 tires. Go ahead and use them, I don't know of anything better in a 16 inch rim size. I just bought 4 new ones because they started to dry rot from the sun after 8yrs but no blowout's.:thumbsup:

I'm wishing I had a dually tandem... but then again that would mean a different truck. You at least have reserve capacity on your rig, I'm still a bit concerned when I'm near my trailers capacity. The 16" rims is definitely an obstacles. There is a void here for some manufacturer to monopolize on.

I run the XPS ribs on my 14,000+ dump trailer. Went through several chinese tires first.
No problems since with the XPS ribs, and I pump them to about 90 when expecting a full load.

Did you replace your rims? or were they rated for higher pressure? I was wondering about adding some extra air pressure... but I know that the rims are suppose to be rated to 80psi. although I see nothing listed on the rim except the size 16x6J@3500lb. I did not want to replace all the rims as well... but it was a option that I choose to pass on... the tire cost was already more than I had planned on. But now I am second guessing a bit.

Could you provide more detail about your situation with what you had before. I'm always looking for confidence builder :laughing:

Anybody else bump up their tire pressures? pros - cons

It is weird you had the trouble with the Greenballs. I am in the trailer business and its the only tire we have found that last other than Maxxis and Gladiators.

Goodyears were good in the 90's but now junk.
Carlisle have always been junk.
Other Chinese tires were hit or miss.

Chris

The dealer thought it might have been a bad batch as he had not seen any issue prior to me. I can always pick out the problem product... first try. In fact the wife has gotten so use to it, that when I grab the item, she puts it back and picks a different one of the same :confused3:

Another thing, here in Arizona the temps have been pretty bad this year. The May & Sept trips this year were downright hot coming back into the desert area. We were returning on very busy weekends and the traffic was pushing me along a bit faster than I would have liked to go. The downhill speeds creeped up a few times... but never let it get over 65. I did use the brake controller manually to slow the downhill speed coming down the mountains. This I'm sure added some heat to the already warm tires. Wish I had a Jake-brake!