Here we go again, truck talk.

/ Here we go again, truck talk. #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
To all, a few months ago I had a fugue and started to look at trucks. I really like my current ride, but about every 2-3 years I get the itch. Like most of us in this economy, I am watching my spending, but one area where I indulge periodically is my vehicle fetish. I drive a fair amount (30,000+ miles per year) and have always had a pickup truck, so I would like to stay in that arena. As I have stated in previous postings, I now have a 2009 GMC 2500 SLT Duramax with just over 70,000 miles on it now. It has been trouble free. I have loved having it, but would like to get away from black as an exterior color (wears me out to keep looking nice). In my previous post, I was asking whether to keep my current ride or look into getting a new one. The overwhelming majority of those responding thought I should not trade at all, which I heeded at that time. My question this time, as the itch has returned, is: "if I WERE to trade, what direction should I go?"--knowing I still may not trade.

My choices: I have been very happy with GMC. I like two trucks they sell. I like the 2500 Denali with the 6.6L Duramax, and I like the 1500 GMC Denali, both of which are available in a lighter color. They are expensive trucks and I am wanting to think carefully about their consideration before such a commitment. I also have looked at an F150 Ecoboost King Ranch, and was impressed by it. I have had Ford's in the past and have gotten good service from them, but I have enjoyed my current truck more than any I have had. As noted in previous posting, I am just not a Dodge fan, but realize they make good trucks. I also have looked at Toyota, but in all honesty, just do not see myself buying one (though they are well-made and solid in the 1/2 ton market).

My considerations: My needs are evolving. I need a truck that I can drive a lot and will be reliable first. I have 6 year old twins and my family will be using this truck to go on occasional trips also. Since I spend a lot of "windshield" time, I want something comfortable that is also potentially good in bad weather. My other issue is my towing needs have evolved. I also never really tow much weight any longer (as I did two-three years ago). At most I will tow 6-7,000 pounds, and this is rare. As my parents age, they are downsizing and most of my towing was taking equipment back and forth to their house. I still do this, just not as often. I do haul things, though and would miss not having a truck. I also am a diesel fan. For me, a diesel these days is likely overkill, but I like the torque, performance and solid fuel economy I get driving such a large vehicle. I would go gas, but would want something with similar performance (aside from towing). Mileage is not unimportant to me, but is a secondary issue (i.e., whether something gets 20 mpg or 18 mpg is not that important to me). I do want something that has good resale, since I tend to sell or trade fairly often.

I was very impressed with the upgrades done on the 2011 and 2012 MY 2500's. Though they look similar to previous MY's they have been significantly overhauled and are impressive. Mucho dinero, though. I was also impressed by the Ecoboost engine in the Ford I test drove. It was very "diesel-like" in unloaded performance, but my neighbor has one and he does not get as good mileage as I do in my 2500 (again, not that important) and he has already had a couple of small service issues, which makes me uneasy. I have reservations about getting an early run truck and about resale down the road if the Ecoboost proves troublesome. I have never driven a 1500 Denali with the 6.2L, but I hear they are impressive. I like the look, though. I have driven a 6.2L Yukon Denali. It was used at 25,000 miles and the XL version. I thought it was OK, not great. I would not have traded my diesel for it, but it was not a truck either and this may have affected my opinion of it.

All this leads to my question: the 2500 diesel Denali, even with a really good price, spec's out about $10,000 more than a 1500 Denali and about $13,000 more than an f150 with Ecoboost in KR trim, the way I want them. I really no longer NEED a diesel, so a truck like this would be overkill for me, save for the miles I drive. The 1500 trucks would be more maneuverable, ride a little better and likely be a little cheaper to operate, but I would lose diesel power, and perhaps a little resale (is this true??) Is that a trade off that is worth it for someone such as myself--if I were to decide to trade?? I can say that my trade-in offer for my truck was unbelievable for a truck with over 70K on it, so I cannot imagine doing much better there. One cannot lease a truck for the difference, even with a mileage cap.

Thanks again to those answering. It is not my goal to re-pose questions, and hope it is not thought of this way. I STILL may end up doing nothing, but if I did I wanted some thoughts on the diesel v. gas for those who do not tow often and also anyone who may have better knowledge of the 1500 Denali GMC (the only truck I have been unable to actually drive of the three main contenders).

John M

/ Here we go again, truck talk. #2  
Personally, I would hold off on the Ecoboost. It's brand new and I have yet to see any new engine hit the streets withous "issues". Let someone else get the kinks worked out first.

Mileage, you say, isn't that important, but most likely the diesel will outdo the gas engines in that department as well. I don't care what the dealer info says, pulling 7K with a 1/2 ton is at or near it's limit. I know the Ecoboost 1/2 ton is rated over 11K, but even their endurance towing tests were done on an oval track.

Personnaly, I think the little engines boosted to the max, is a grenade waiting to go off.

I have owned only one 3/4 ton truck in my life, and I have towed a lot with my 1/2 tons, so my comment about the 7K is backed by a lot of miles of doing just that. My feeling has become, "Why stress one near it's limit?" Also, as I am sure you are aware, the 10k (or whatever) tow rating of some, includes, passengers, fuel, luggage, and quite a few options NOT on the test vehicle.

That's my .02 worth.

/ Here we go again, truck talk. #3  
Very simple solution; 2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch, 6.7 Powerstroke with 3.31 axle ratio. If you've never driven a 6.7, try one, you'll be impressed. I just traded an '08 F-450 King Ranch for a '12 F-450 King Ranch, both trucks have the 4.30 axle ratio. So far the 6.7 is getting about 4 mpg better mileage than the '08 and that's with barely 500 miles on it.

/ Here we go again, truck talk. #4  
I have a 2011 GMC 1/2 ton 6.2 Sierra SLE 4x4 X-cab 6-speed 3:42...One step down from a Denali....Love it.

Only pulled around 6000# with it so far, but it's fantastic....Mileage in town is only 14 but on the highway is around 19-20...I average around 16...I'm happy with that. Plus I dont have turbo's and everything for maintenance is right in front of you.

The power is unbelievable and I've done nothing but install a K&N filter...Looking at twice pipes now...Limited makers of high flow for the 6.2.

If you're looking for a 1/2 ton gasser, take a look at his set up...I looked at a very similar 1 ton D-Max, but couldn't justify the massive diesel premium..Even though I tried..I'm cheap.

You're right about black..As a recovering restorer I knew what I was getting into.

Attachments

• Dec 18 2010 003.jpg
    Dec 18 2010 003.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Dec 18 2010 004.jpg
    Dec 18 2010 004.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 147
   / Here we go again, truck talk. #7  
If you like the F150, skip the EcoBoost and go with the V8 5.0l. It has similar power and mpg's yet a MUCH simpler engine that's easier to work on and will be cheaper to fix.

While you may not be a Dodge fan, you will not find a stronger V8 gas option with the reliability and proven performance of the HEMI. 390 hp and 20 mpg highway and mostly unchanged (sans MDS) for 10 years. There's a reason it was also voted the best new truck under $30k. $30,000 Shootout - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports

/ Here we go again, truck talk. #8  
GM has the most power and torque, highest conventional tow rating and a great track record. Why not just drive yours one more year, by then you'll know if you wantr to live without the diesel. If you're ready to give it up, buy the Denali, if not buy the Denali 3/4 with the Duramax. ;)

2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD Wins Shootout
August 19th, 2011

2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD

Industry experts at PickupTrucks.com have devised a series of tests for super heavy-duty trucks from Detroit痴 Big 3 automakers so strenuous that they can only be called the 滴eavy-Duty Hurt Locker. Despite noble and compelling offerings from Ford (2011 F-350) and Dodge Ram Trucks (2011.5 Ram 3500) , only one truck could be crowned the winner: the 2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD.

The Heavy-Duty Hurt Locker put the trucks through the paces in a grueling 2,200-mile slog through 4 states that included extreme temperatures in Arizona and high elevations in Colorado, all while hauling 5th-wheel trailers weighing almost 10 tons, pushing the HD trucks past 90% of their gross combined weight ratings.

2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD Rear

The 3500HD, when equipped with the dually rear wheel setup, the 6.6-liter Duramax Diesel with 397 hp and 765 lb-ft. of torque, and heavy duty towing equipment, features best-in-class capabilities: 18,000 lbs. of conventional towing, up to 23,000 lbs. of towing with a 5th-wheel trailer and 7,215-lb. hauling payload. That痴 enough to beat out Ford and Dodge, something GM made sure of through minor revisions to the Sierra for 2012.

General Motors was quick to respond to the significant industry accolade:

展e know heavy-duty pickups are one of the most-competitive segments, with some of the most knowledgeable customers there are, said Rick Spina, vehicle line executive for full-size trucks. 擢or 2012, we worked on making our trucks even more capable than before.

2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD Interior

All three of these Big 3 pickups, and the Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD which shares a platform and powertrains with the Sierra 3500HD, make excellent workhorses designed for any job thrown at them.

/ Here we go again, truck talk. #9  
My choices would be to first keep your truck. After that the Eco Boost with 3.73 gears like my dad has. Averaged 18.2 MPG since May, trouble free, and 26 MPG at 60/65 MPH. After that it would be the GM 1500. I would skip the diesel.

Chris