New law I missed??? Merging traffic?

/ New law I missed??? Merging traffic? #11  
If the police spent more time giving traffic tickets to people who are actually doing dangerous things, and a little less citing people for going 10 MPH over the speed limit when there is no traffic and no hazard, I think our roads would be much safer. How many people do you know who habitually tail-gate, don't use their turn signals, etc. and how many of those have EVER been stopped and cited for those things? The problem with peoples' unsafe driving habits is the police doing a bad job of enforcing the laws IMO.

Yeah, and who do you think decides on what the police will be doing? If they're doing a bad job, it's because your elected officials who are their bosses want them to do what they are doing. You think the police should be writing mroe tickets for the things you dislike, but not for speeding. Others think the speeders need to be fined and slowed down. And those who get the tickets think the police should leave them alone and go after the thieves and killers.:laughing::laughing:

Everyone knows what the police should be doing. To bad all those folks who know what the police should be doing don't apply for the job themselves.;)

/ New law I missed??? Merging traffic? #12  
How many people do you know who habitually tail-gate, don't use their turn signals, etc.

You mean like police cars???? :( I hate it when they tail gate!

To the OP, I try to be accommodating to merging traffic. If I can't safely move over, I'm willing to slow down a little bit to allow them to merge ahead, especially when I'm driving with the trailer. HOWEVER, my willingness to accommodate ends when they don't even try to match the speed but dawdle along as they come up the ramp. Wake up and use the acceleration ramp for the purpose they built it!

I also see absolutely zero reason for me to move over (always has a slight risk associated with it) when they don't even try to merge in properly. If there is plenty of room ahead of me if they would just pick up speed, then it's their problem, not mine.

Ken

/ New law I missed??? Merging traffic? #13  
How about being full load on a two lane ... nice speed built up and just a few yards ahead someone enters the highway heads the same direction you are going and they reach a top speed of about 45 mph.

/ New law I missed??? Merging traffic? #14  
How about being full load on a two lane ... nice speed built up and just a few yards ahead someone enters the highway heads the same direction you are going and they reach a top speed of about 45 mph.

Gee, 45 is ths minimum LEGAL speed on any highway in this country where the posted limit is more than that.

Should have left earlier.

/ New law I missed??? Merging traffic? #15  
I also drive a heavy truck for work, and I will move over for another truck merging and sometimes a car if its practical. However, in Ontario we now have speed limiters installed to appease the nannies who are frightened of transports. So I am even more reluctant to move over now, because I will get hung out to dry in the fast lane piddling along at 106km/h when those same drivers who are incapable of merging pass me on the inside, or worse pace me for a couple of km holding up scores of people behind us.

/ New law I missed??? Merging traffic? #17  
If the police spent more time giving traffic tickets to people who are actually doing dangerous things, and a little less citing people for going 10 MPH over the speed limit when there is no traffic and no hazard, I think our roads would be much safer. How many people do you know who habitually tail-gate, don't use their turn signals, etc. and how many of those have EVER been stopped and cited for those things? The problem with peoples' unsafe driving habits is the police doing a bad job of enforcing the laws IMO.

I agree with this too:thumbsup:

The freeways where I drive, less than 8-10MPH over is going to get you ran over:thumbsup:

I usually run 73-75MPH or so (65MPH limit) and that is about the average flow of traffic in general. I have just as many people pass me as the number of people I pass. To me, (even though it is over the limits), this is not as unsafe as someone doing (leagally) 8-10MPH UNDER.

And that is certainly safer that those who like to bop-and-weave in and out of traffic. Of the ones who want to get right on your arse because you are going 73 and passing a truck going 65. And when I pass another vehichle, I dont cut back over the very second I clear his bumper. When I was taught to drive, it was "wait until you see BOTH the headlights in your center mirror, this will allow assured clear distance." But that ~3-4 car-lengths is just enough for that idiot behind you to squeeze in there, and pass you in the right lane, and give the #1 jesture because you "didnt get over" for him:confused2: We all know these types of people. And IMO (and I think most will agree) they are MUCH more of a danger than those going 8 MPH over the limit.

And the other one that always gets me is (we have one I drive every day) when a lane ends. There is PLEANTY of notice. Starting 1/2mile out. But still people insist on flying like h$ll to pass ever last car they can before the cut into the big line of traffic. I have put more than one of these idiots into the median:D If I can get over, I will. I will always drive in the farthest right lane I can. But sometimes traffic is just heavy, and there is a good steady line in both lanes (especially when going from 3 to 2).

/ New law I missed??? Merging traffic? #18  
We have a 6 mile stretch of '95 in Bangor with a LOT of merging traffic. Speed limit is 55. I bump the speed to 60 and stay in the left lane unless traffic volumes are low. Doesn't make for any friends, for sure, but I don't care. My job is to keep all four corners on my truck and make sure all the yahoos make it home alive.

Yeah, law says they will yield, but I'm not trusting them with my driving record. Someone blamed the police, but it's a lost cause at this point. I look at this this way, there are 900,000 licensed vehicle operators, and a whole lot more unlicensed I'm sure, here in Maine. Me, or all the law enforcement in the state, will never teach them laws or good sense. It's far easier, and safer, for me to adapt.

I'm not saying that's the "correct" answer, but it's the answer for me. In a fail to yield incident, yeah, they were wrong by law, but THE DRIVER was wrong for allowing to happen. We are the professionals.

I'm at 1.6 million miles, so something must be right. :D

/ New law I missed??? Merging traffic? #19  
As far as I know the merging traffic has to yield to the flow of highway traffic. When I get on an on ramp I check the slow lane traffic and adjust my speed to merge without disrupting the highway flow.

Not to hi jack your post but wanted to state another fact I see a lot.
What I hate is when road crews are working, say on a three lane highway. They post 55 MPH signs almost a mile before the construction area along with signs that say right two lanes closed ahead merge left. As soon as I see the sign I slow to the 55 limit and merge to the left lane only to be passed on the right by everyone else. 80 % of drivers continue at the 65 limit and do not slow down or merge until the last minute. This creates a bottleneck and slows traffic to almost a stop.
If all drivers would slow down and merge when they see the signs traffic would flow through the construction area at the 55 limit and there would be less road rage.

/ New law I missed??? Merging traffic? #20  
I've been in a number of states and I've always seen a "YIELD" sign (and sometimes a STOP sign for traffic merging into a highway. I have never seen anything on the main thoroughfare other then a sign warning of "Heavy Merge Area Ahead".
Most the time, if traffic permits, I go to the left lane...

The merging drivers that really piss me off is those who don't speed up or slow down...you're driving along side them and you know they're going to run out of lane. At the end of the merge lane, it's a game of chicken sometimes...pretty stupid, eh?