Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota 2910 HST

Default Re: New law I missed??? Merging traffic?

Never realized how bad many drivers are at merging until I bought a RV. An awful lot of people must not have taken a driver training course.

Tractor
    JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers

Quote Originally Posted by The Haymaker View Post
    We have a 6 mile stretch of '95 in Bangor with a LOT of merging traffic. Speed limit is 55. I bump the speed to 60 and stay in the left lane unless traffic volumes are low. Doesn't make for any friends, for sure, but I don't care. My job is to keep all four corners on my truck and make sure all the yahoos make it home alive.

Yeah, law says they will yield, but I'm not trusting them with my driving record. Someone blamed the police, but it's a lost cause at this point. I look at this this way, there are 900,000 licensed vehicle operators, and a whole lot more unlicensed I'm sure, here in Maine. Me, or all the law enforcement in the state, will never teach them laws or good sense. It's far easier, and safer, for me to adapt.

I'm not saying that's the "correct" answer, but it's the answer for me. In a fail to yield incident, yeah, they were wrong by law, but THE DRIVER was wrong for allowing to happen. We are the professionals.

I'm at 1.6 million miles, so something must be right.
    Yeah, I passed that 1.6 years ago, and made it to 2.3+ before I encountered my first chargable accident, which ended up legally not being my fault, but I still could have prevented it, as well as the guy who was SUPPOSED TO prevent it could have. I was just off my game that day. Currently at 2.6 but only with .3 of safe driving to date. Only a split second later... we all make mistakes, some just worst than others.
    David from jax
    A serious accident is one that money won't fix.

Tractor
    John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B

OK, this thread reminds me of some of my pet peeves regarding merging traffic:

1. As a courteous driver, when possible, I try to get over and let merging traffic in. Then, the driver who merged gets on my ***** and is in a BIG hurry for me to pass the cars in the right lane so I can get over and get out of his way. Wish I'd stayed in the right lane and let him fend for himself....

2. People who are SO worried about being courteous and letting the merging driver in, they cut me off if I'm in the left lane to do so.

3. The classic idiot who doesn't know how to match speed to merge when moving my vehicle isn't an option.

4. Worse yet, the one who runs up and STOPS on the ramp.

5. The guy who intentionally speeds up to keep you from merging in front of him. (gets the finger)

As a side note, we have a number of locations around my metro area where they have installed STOPLIGHTS in the merging ramps. Fortunately, these are timed so as to only be used during rush hour, but I still am not sure I see the benefit. The idea is that they let one car go at a time with a 30 second wait in between, or thereabouts...
    Runner

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by jeffster View Post
    Totally agree with skyco about slow cars. The freeway speed is 70 where I am at and I kid you not, some lady was in front of me a couple days ago (and a number of cars were behind me) and managed to get up to a whopping 40mph as she merged. So now you have 5 or 6 cars trying to get on a busy freeway all doing 40. Just awesome way to get someone killed. I haven't been that mad in a long time.
    I learned a pretty safe trick to that one. As the slow driver youre behind merges you accelerate and pass in the merge lane and merge ahead of them. No problem with traffic coming from behind.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Of course, if a cop sees you do it, then you get a ticket for improper lane usage and the slow merger gets to keep a "clean" driving record....
    Yeah, aint it the truth. Much law exists in a headupusbuttus condition. I have hope that an intelligent officer would see the balance of the specific situation and deal a stern warning with amusement. I have done it many times from 1st following vehicle position. With good power available it is much safer than following the legal constraint.
    larry
    This side of 40
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERLK View Post
    I learned a pretty safe trick to that one. As the slow driver youre behind merges you accelerate and pass in the merge lane and merge ahead of them. No problem with traffic coming from behind.
    larry
    Not something I would advise, or admit I had done...if I understand you correctly.
    David from jax

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
    European law is the opposite: Anyone in the right lane HAS TO allow someone coming down the on ramp to enter the right lane. The vehicle on the on ramp has right of way. If you cut someone off, it will cost you your drivers license.

The result is that people do not merge so fearfully and actually speed up as they go down the on ramp.

This particular issue was the single biggest "culture shock" item I experienced when I moved to the US in 2003. It seemed that everyone, no matter what they were driving absolutely 100% had to speed up so that they could cut you off when you were trying to merge, including semi drivers. It seems a national past time to see who can out accelerate each other in doing this. I personally think it is the primary reason why Americans favor big motors (dragsters), since the speed limit is otherwise 70 or in a very few states 75mph on the interstates. Go to Europe and many autobahns allow unlimited speeds yet most people drive cars with engines half the size. Can you imagine what would happen in germany with people doing 130 to 170mph and not yielding to someone trying to merge in the right lane ? Carnage is the word and they have known that for a long time.

It is long overdue that this stupid law be changed here in the US to give right of way to the "weaker party" (the one merging) and those already on the highway simply have to plan ahead when they see a merging lane coming up.

So that is where this thought process originated, in Europe? Maybe we need to limit imigration from there without a complete and totally new driving school requirement.
    The laws of the USA in very, very few instances give the right of way to anyone. It does have many instances where a driver must yield to others, but still doesn't GIVE THE RIGHT OF WAY TO THE OTHER DRIVER. Some people assume they have the right of way, but seldom is it the case. Is it a "stupid law", no, not until people quit doing what they should because somebody actually gave the the courtesy of letting them in, and they assume that should be done EVERY TIME they roll up the ramp. So they quit trying to merge and just expect it...
    As far as the 100% comment, I wasn't there, but since it takes a massive amount of horsepower to increase the speed of a semi truck when loaded, at 65-70 mph, then most likely what happened was the car in front of you (on the ramp) slowed down the flow of traffic which causes the following distance of the car in front of the truck to decrease because the car driver can (and sometimes will) slow down more for a merging car. Cars just speed up and slow down faster than trucks. Most truck drivers tend to hesitate slowing their truck down unnecessarily due to the problems that will cause them and all the people behind them, but if they have to, they have to. If the car in front of the truck slowed down, which decreased the following distance, your area to merge just went away and your blaming the truck driver whereas the problem actually arose with the car in front of you on the ramp.
    David from jax

Gold Member
    Tractor
    wheel horse c-100

if you google interstate merging in the usa all MERGING vehicles must create their own safe enterance into the traffic flow living in atlanta ga for 25 years anybody coming through this area god help you most drivers here appear to have been absent on the driving school day about merging was the subject. 3 mornings a week i have to go from extreme east atlanta to close to the atlanta airport seeing what some of these people do getting into traffic is criminal at best if they would just follow the flow traffic problems would be much easier but apparently the driving gods blessed the few to be exempt from any safety thoughts at all.
    this gives new meaning to the local saying of WELCOME TO ATLANTA.

Tractor

Hello Mitch, from me and the wife. Having driven thru rush hour traffic two afternoons a week from the north and around the west side of Atlanta, heading south, I KNOW your problem well. Wife says the way she gets to and from Atlanta puts merging and right of way to a whole new level... (She flies into ATL at least a couple times a month). I don't miss it now that my freight lanes have changed, but idiots on the road exists everywhere.
    David from jax

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by sandman2234 View Post
    Not something I would advise, or admit I had done...if I understand you correctly.
    David from jax
    Perhaps you dont. In most cases any other action is less safe. The only alternatives I see are stopping on the acceleration ramp, or mergiing into a highway lane that is in a disturbed slowdown mode behind the slow merger.
    larry
    This side of 40

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast