1" drop or 0" drop ball mount

/ 1" drop or 0" drop ball mount #11  
It will sway less at highway speed if you run it with the tongue lower. There's some science behind this statement, so its more than just a wild theory. Its related to the sideview angle of the spring eyes on the trailer relative to horizontal.

/ 1" drop or 0" drop ball mount #12  
Actually though, the more I think about it, I dont think I have ever seen a standard(2" drop 1" rise) insert rated that high??? But I could be wrong
That's because the SAE standard for square hitch receivers does not cover anything above 10,000#.

/ 1" drop or 0" drop ball mount #13  
WD hitch should probably be used anyways depending what you're towing it with but I see people using them without the spring bars just to get the adjustable shank.

/ 1" drop or 0" drop ball mount #14  
Or at least a weight distribution hitch?

Actually though, the more I think about it, I dont think I have ever seen a standard(2" drop 1" rise) insert rated that high??? But I could be wrong

I haven't looked at many of the manufacturer's vehicles ratings, and that changes from vehicle to vehicle, model year to model year, option packages and a host of other things, but on the FEW that I have looked at and seen the footnote, none of them gave any allowance for a W/D hitch setup. Not saying it is a bad idea, but the manufacturer is limiting their liability for some reason on the bumper pulled.... no, scratch that... on anything NOT a fifth wheel setup.
David from jax

/ 1" drop or 0" drop ball mount #15  

Sorry, that is what we call the part that slides into the receiver that the ball bolts to.(insert) Another one you could use is the combo pintle hook/5/16" ball combo...it is essentially a zero rise/zero drop insert/sleeve.

/ 1" drop or 0" drop ball mount #16  
There are "bumper pull" drawbars rated to 20,000 lbs, I have a couple.
I've also used gooseneck balls in said drawbars to get a ball rated higher than the drawbar, works fine.
There are also receiver hitches rated to 15,000 or more, regardless of what the truck manufacturer says. Have one of them too.:p

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_492931_492931

/ 1" drop or 0" drop ball mount
Bdog,
Since i don't know what your up to, or what type of truck your planning on pulling this with, and you seem reasonably sure about the weighs and that fact that you don't want to be under rated on any part of this, I was wondering what type of vehicle you can use to pull a 12k bumper hitch trailer.
I noticed that several manufacturers of trucks capable of pulling that type of weight easily had footnotes in their spec's limiting trailers over 10K to fifth wheel hookup only.
David from jax

I am towing it behind a f350 diesel. Trailer probably weighs between 10-11k. I like to have some safety factor built in. The ball mount I have now the 2" drop is forged and labeled 20k gross and 2k tongue.

/ 1" drop or 0" drop ball mount #18  
I am towing it behind a f350 diesel. Trailer probably weighs between 10-11k. I like to have some safety factor built in. The ball mount I have now the 2" drop is forged and labeled 20k gross and 2k tongue.

Where are you at if you turn the ball mount over?

/ 1" drop or 0" drop ball mount
Where are you at if you turn the ball mount over?

I hooked the trailer up and parked it on a flat driveway and in the 2" drop position the trailer is about 1" low in the front. If I flip the mount it will put the front 2" high.

/ 1" drop or 0" drop ball mount #20  
I hooked the trailer up and parked it on a flat driveway and in the 2" drop position the trailer is about 1" low in the front. If I flip the mount it will put the front 2" high.

If 1" low is outside your comfort zone, I respectfully submit that you are overthinking this by a wide margin.